running and snow....

21 to 32 of 32 messages
27/11/2010 at 18:17
as people have said, running on snow isn't tricky. it's when it gets trodden in like on pavements it becomes ice, and then it's a pain. i also can't run when it's snowing (heavily anyway), last time, it just went in my eyes and was rather uncomfortable.

generally, i'm pretty good and run in most weather conditions (i've had some horrendous sessions over the years in awful weather) but i draw the line when snow is coming down hard as you really can't see anything when it gets in your eyes!!

wind chill factor or -11 where i ran earlier. it bloody felt it too!
27/11/2010 at 18:30

-11 - that's nothing!

We lived in America for a few years and used to ski in Vermont - temperature hit -22 one year, which, when you factored in windchill going up and down the mountains was distinctly unpleasant.  It was also a bit unpleasant in the condo where we stayed as the septic tank froze over too. . .

27/11/2010 at 19:00
1st time running in the snow today, 7 miles including parkrun, really enjoyed it & not as bad as I expected. Not looking forward to tomorrows run, the roads are really slippy now. Do you all just wear your normal running shoes?
27/11/2010 at 19:31

i'd probably end up committing suicide from boredom doing that on a treadmill. can't stand them. i did have to run on roads at some points because the pavements were like ice. got a few odd looks from people walking like "wtf is he doing running in weather like this!" lol. i've not run in much colder than this. i know i've run in -6 but today genuinely felt colder. however, conditions were far from some of the more miserable ones i've experienced over the last 6-7 years i've been running. as i said though, felt properly exposed at the mountain top so headed back, i knew if something happened up there i was gonna be in big trouble, not many people go up there and i'd have frozen. just thawing out now Ross.

...Ha, but that the best bit of running in the snow, the people's reaction. what the feck!

27/11/2010 at 19:40
I love running in the snow especially XC through the fields where no one has been. Can be a tricky as normally you can see a well worn path - I've taken a few wrong turns in the past that have lead to even better routes. Roll on tomorrow morning!
27/11/2010 at 21:35

Lots of people quoting wind chill factors. The reality is that they don't mean much,

The wind chill factor is just a way of saying that this is the equivalent heat loss on bare skin  with no wind. So if the temperature is above freezing but the wind chill puts it below freezing you can never get frost bite for instance, 

Neither does it take into account the length of time you are exposed to the wind

The clothes you're wearing (particularly wind proof clothes)  will affect the figure. Or if your clothes are wet. Or if the sun is shining. Or if you're hungry ....

Basically take the figures with a pinch of salt.

PS. I'm not belittling the effect of the wind just the figures quoted by weather men, papers etc 

28/11/2010 at 08:59
In feb I was back in Finland visiting my mum etc and it was constantly -33. Managed to run couple of times but I think the limit is -25 as when it gets colder than that breathing is harder and the sweat freezes too soon and your eyelashes get frosty so you can't see where you're going
28/11/2010 at 10:45
A question of those who know about extreme cold. Years ago I was told by a guy who lived in eastern Siberia that when you're caught short in minus 30 or so outside and take a leak, the fluid freezes on contact with the ground and the ice then advances up the stream. The trick, he said, is to break off and put your bits away before the ice reaches them. Now I'm sure he was pulling my, er, leg but can anyone confirm this?
28/11/2010 at 11:59
Never heard of, neither experienced that
28/11/2010 at 12:13
Jeepers and EfficientElli-wow, what did you wear when you where running in those temps? I ran this morning and had to cut the run short because my hands and face where in pain. I was wearing mittens,a thermal and long sleeve with leggings, think I needed a balaclava! Looked on the met office and said -9 I thought Phwar...now I feel like a wuss
28/11/2010 at 14:29
I wasn't equipped properly that time because I don't live there anymore so no need to own gear for those temperatures...

I just had loads of layers topped with windproof jacket and trousers, think I had three pairs of socks on and skiing gloves and just a running hat to cover my ears.
28/11/2010 at 15:59

I suspect that when you're working hard the clothing required for the core body isn't too excessive. 

I think the issue when it's really cold is exposed skin and cold air in the lungs.

I've used ski goggles and covered my lower face when conditions get pretty bad in the mountains but I haven't experienced temperatures lower than -20C.

I also haven't run in ski goggles or anything lower than -10C.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.