Running app (Android) to stop at 21.1km?

6 messages
04/06/2014 at 18:15

Hi there

I've started running practice half-marathons and I've found Runkeeper on Android really useful to keep me up to date with my time/distance/pace throughout the run.

What's quite annoying though is that I'm never quite sure when I've got to 21.1km which leads to a lot of fiddling with my phone. 

I don't think there's any way to get Runkeeper to stop at this distance automatically. Anyone know a way around this, or another app that does this?

04/06/2014 at 18:52
I'm fairly sure endomondo lets you set a distance target. It won't stop automatically, but it will tell you when you reach it so you can stop it yourself.
05/06/2014 at 08:51

That seems to be a 'PRO' feature unfortunately. Any alternatives?

05/06/2014 at 09:55

Its a little pointless (IMO) as when you get to run a half in a race if you use the same app it will almost certainly record the distances as 21.5km or something like that. These apps arent 100% accurate anyway so trying to hit 21.1 spot on is a little mistaken. 

05/06/2014 at 13:52

The whole idea of running an exact distance repeatedly in order to be able to race that same exact distance is not a good idea. You need a training plan with variation and forgot the exact distance to a decimal place.

Anyway, courses are measured with a rolling wheel several times and 0.1% is added to the mean, to guarantee that at least the distance is run and that the chances it was shorter are diminishingly small (in case a record is claimed). That's not the same as guaranteeing it is an exact distance.

05/06/2014 at 18:28
Endomondo pro costs a couple of quid, man.

Tightarse.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.