RUNNING AS MEDITATION

Do you stop thinking on long runs?

41 to 54 of 54 messages
07/01/2003 at 22:35
Jewels,
You sit on a cushion in the lotus position. It's the most comfortable position to sit and meditate in, but I can't do it for 25 minutes, so I sit in a similar position which is easier. In between sitting sessions, we have a short period of walking meditation, which is really funny if your legs are numb and you feel like you're about to fall over if you try to take even a small step!

Josie,
I do some yoga occasionally too, and it's a very nice contrast, as it's an active and stretchy meditation.

Stupid Buddhist joke:
What did the Buddhist ask for at the hotdog stand? 'Make me one with everything.'
07/01/2003 at 22:42
Meditation is not for everyone personally i find it boring
07/01/2003 at 22:48
WOW thanks for the response everyone it was very interesting to read about other peoples experiences. I just came back from a long run and it was a good two hours before I switched off completely which for me is weird. It wasn't untill i stopped cursing myself for not wearing tights!
Once the "you F***ing idiot" chanting ceased and my legs turned bright red i disappeared...which was nice!
Does anyone else use a form of...well I am not sure what you would call it but sometimes on a long run if I am struggling a bit I will say:
"Physically Fit,Mentally Strong" over and over again that stops the negative,
"I can't do this" thoughts and also helps me zone out. Anyone else do this? My partner sometimes counts "1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4"
07/01/2003 at 22:50
When the mood takes and I can't find that comfort zone(which is nice!) I find doing times-tables passes the miles!!!
07/01/2003 at 22:55
Ah, YES Mr Creosote
on the tready, i calculater the percentage or fraction of the race i have done
60 mins good number
07/01/2003 at 22:57
Hildy, id be interested to know how you got into Zen buddhism
E mail me or post , whwtever suits
07/01/2003 at 23:02
Sounds a bit deep does that one Benz but if it works then thats good! Have a passing interest in Buddhism, after visiting Sri Lanka last year found it to be a very 'nice' way to live. Also it seems to be the most believable religion, not having to worship anyone, but follow a way of life- very appealing.
07/01/2003 at 23:04
P.s. obviously not quite as involved as Hildy- but you don't have to be!
08/01/2003 at 09:06
Benz,
It was fairly simple actually. My family isn't religious, so after the usual rebellious atheist teenage years, I still felt the need for a bit of spiritual framework. It was like coming home actually, as the philosophy of Buddhism makes sense to me, whereas the principals that underlie the monotheistic religions (esp. the idea of God, and esp. the God of the Bible) have never made sense to me.

I can email you more if you like - after today's day of work though!
08/01/2003 at 17:47
Started to learn Japanese, and find running a great time to revise.
08/01/2003 at 18:00
Hilde: my Buddhist pizza was going to be one with everything. Not only do you steal my punchline but you called it stupid as well (sob). I may never forgive you for this.
09/01/2003 at 09:20
Sorry to upset you, but do remember that you and I really don't exist as we might think, as the idea of the self is just a big illusion, so there's nothing to be upset about.

But there are many more jokes, I know you can do it!!
09/01/2003 at 09:43
Thanks Hilde, I feel better now (or do I?). Don't tell the people of the fat thread that their idea of self is a "big" illusion, they're very sensitive about such matters.
09/01/2003 at 15:31
Actually, there are some texts in the Pali canon which recommend meditating on how the body will die and decay, in order to combat clinging to ideas of self. eurgh! But I was referring to self as in ego, or brain-self. I would never want to upset the fat club people, never ever!! I've never had to watch my weight, but I imagine that looking after it every day must be very difficult indeed, so more power (but less self?) to them.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 54 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.