Running books

20 messages
06/04/2012 at 21:52
Hey guys!

I'm quite new here. Nice to meet you all!

I was just wondering, is there many people who read books about running, either fiction or not? I've been looking for one to read since I finished "Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run" and Chrissie Wellington's autobiography (which were both fantastic!). I'm not too bothered whether it is fiction or non-fiction, I'd just like a good read about running or triathlon.

One (or more!) with a good bit of inspiration will always be welcome on my bookshelf!

06/04/2012 at 22:27
The best book about running I've ever read is The Running Man by Gilbert Tuhabonye. Inspiring and powerful stuff.

If its non-fiction you're after you can't beat The Lore of Running IMHO.

Enjoy.
06/04/2012 at 22:46

Hi Lewis,

I found Kelly  Holmes, book ' White and Gold' to be a really good read. It's her autobiography.

Also Paula Radgliffe, ' My Story so far' anotrher really good read again it's her autobiography.

But ther are lots of books out there.

Happy reading

Alan

06/04/2012 at 23:25
My faves so far have been Haruki Murakami's What I Talk about when I talk about Running-- and Chris Mcdougall's Born to Run
Murakami's one is kind of a memoir / musings on what running means to him- which I found very inspirational.
McDougall's is on Barefoot running

Neither are everyone's cup of tea, some runners prefer something more technical with tips etc...
06/04/2012 at 23:27
I'll throw in the Ghost Runner which I've just finished and is an excellent read.
07/04/2012 at 07:58
Not specifically about running, but about endurance in general, I'm reading Survival of the Fittest by Dr Mike Stroud at the moment. Worth a look, especially if you ever fancy tackling the Marathon Des Sables!
07/04/2012 at 08:35
I'll second Ghost Runner, couldn't put it down! Found the running man didnt get going on the running bit until the end, it concentrates more on you getting to know gilbert.
07/04/2012 at 11:07
The postman has just delivered 'Running with the Kenyans' this morning! Will let you know how it goes!
07/04/2012 at 13:00
I like the Haruki Marukami book, Born to Run of course, and I would add "Feet in the Clouds" by Richard Askwith, but be warned I tried Fell running withing four months of reading it, it will inspire you to try it out
07/04/2012 at 13:51
Born to Run, just started it and its very difficult to put down.
08/04/2012 at 11:04
I agree with EG 'Feet in the Clouds' is excellent - and you will want to try fell running afterwards!
08/04/2012 at 16:10
Feet in The Clouds and Born to Run are both good books.

The Arthur Newton biography: 'Tea with Mr Newton' is a great read.I learned so much about a running legend I'd barely heard of.
08/04/2012 at 18:11
Never heard of that one, must look for it, to add another, is a book I have as an e-book by Gordon Pirie 50s middle distance runner who's outspoken and unorthodox ideas were frowned upon at the time, but many are now accepted as good practice
08/04/2012 at 18:18
From Last to First - Charlie Spedding
08/04/2012 at 19:13

I also read 'Ghost Runner'. it's not the greatest piece of writing ever, but its a terrific story which deserves to be heard.

08/04/2012 at 20:56

I want to read The Ghost Runner.

Charlie Speddings Book is a really good read.

'Gold Rush' by Michael Johnson is a good book

08/04/2012 at 21:08
'The Perfect Distance'. Pat Butchers book on Coe and Ovett is a really good read.
09/04/2012 at 22:52
For a quick read 'The Lonliness of a Long-distance Runner' is a diversion. Am I the only runner in the world who couldn't get to 'Born to Run'? Also took Ghost Runner back to the library as the wriinig was diabolical. Really enjoyed Haile Gebresalaise's autobiography though.
09/04/2012 at 23:25
I enjoyed a story of Abebe Bikila, called 'The barefoot runner'. Can't remember the author though. Got it from library, not available on kindle. Of course 'Born to run' too. As for running handbooks the only one I find excellent is Running Anatomy. Will check out Ghost Runner, it sounds interesting.
10/04/2012 at 17:11
Just saw n official Biography of Chris Brasher 1956 Olympic Steeplechase Gold Medalist in ehe shops today.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
20 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.