Running Club

Why didn't I join one sooner

1 to 20 of 61 messages
18/03/2004 at 12:24
I went down to my local running club (Lostock AC) for the first time last night and I really enjoyed it.

A message to anyone who's thinking about joining a club, do it!!!
18/03/2004 at 12:31
Agreed - I'm wondering why I didn't go join Shrewsbury AC years ago. I've only been going for a few months but I know that with their help and encouragement I'm faster and stronger.
18/03/2004 at 13:16
Hopey - are you already a good runner? I am so slow and unfit I keep thinking well I'll just do this race and this amount of training and those this amount of weight and then I will join - I keep thinking of joining Wigan Phoenix - not far from you in Lostock - if its the Lostock near Bolton that is!

Good luck

tiny
18/03/2004 at 13:28
TT - join anyway regardless how you feel. I put it off for ages only to find out there were 'club runners' who were no better than me. You'll be amazed at the improvement and enthusiasm you get from a good club - and some new drinking buddies!
18/03/2004 at 16:44
I had my first run with my local club (Bracknell Forest Runners) on Monday and really enjoyed it.

Definately recommend it.

18/03/2004 at 16:44
The best thig I did was to join my local club. I was just plodding until I discovered Long Eaton Running club.
If you are worried about being left behind, then try larger clubs, as there is a greater chance that you won't be the slowest, and avoid 'athletics' clubs, they'll be dead serious.
Also names like, 'joggers', or 'striders', are safer bets. You don't have to join on the first night- if they aren't for you, you don't have to join- try somewhere else!
18/03/2004 at 17:12
Clubs deliberately do the sort of training that will keep slow and fast together as a group (e.g. efforts of up to a few 100 meters with recovery bringing group back together at the end). so your ability is of no consequence to how you will be welcomed into a club. Bigger clubs will make this even easier by having enough people to split into streamed groups, but my club is tiny and we all run together
18/03/2004 at 19:56
TT I've been running for 4 years, but am just coming back from breaking my ankle. Lostock had runners of all abilities, plus when they run they have plenty of cut off points so you can get back to base when you've had enough.

Yes it's Lostock in Bolton, we run from Bolton Arena on a Wednesday night 7.30.

Good luck
18/03/2004 at 20:00
I set off from work last night, determined to join up with Reading Road Runners for the first time, after months of telling myself to. Unfortunately, got snarled up in the traffic into Reading, and ended up too late to get there.

I'll try again next week, especially after reading the encouraging messages above - so thanks.

18/03/2004 at 20:14
Running Commentary

Do it, I feel so positive about it all!!

I can't believe it's taken me this long.

Good luck
18/03/2004 at 20:16
Once I'm under 10 minute miles consistently I shall do it, too.
18/03/2004 at 22:17
Ji
I've just joined a club and was really concerned about it. The club I'm in has groups and goes right through to 12 min miles, so go for it! It's certainly proved to be great for me and i was so nervous before I joined.
18/03/2004 at 23:13
I organise the Norton/Radstock 1/2 near Bath and I also enter many races through the year, but I can't believe the number of runners who are not members of clubs.Not only is it cheaper to enter races as a club member, but like many other people have said you get the best traning, companionship and with our club Somer AC we have many social events.Get down to your local club and join now.
If anyone out there has done the Norton/Radstock 1/2 I would be grateful for any comments about our race.
19/03/2004 at 09:48
I think my wife would very much like me to join a club. Sometimes she seems less than enthusiastic about my mile per minute pace, PB's and race results and positively yawns when I'm deliberating on which shoes to purchase. I'm also spoilt for choice with Ranelagh Harriers and The Stragglers in Richmond......just need to take the plunge.
19/03/2004 at 09:56
Becca says 'avoid 'athletics' clubs, they'll be dead serious' - not necessarily true. It's horses for courses, we have some peeps (like me) who are slower than others, but no-one minds and they aren't made to feel second class citizens.
19/03/2004 at 12:07
I am doing my first HM next Sunday (Stafford - going for 1:55 or so) and have decided to join a club straight after this and this thread has made me even more determined to get it sorted so that I can get the extra motivation to keep the training going.

Thank you everyone who has contributed.
19/03/2004 at 12:10
Jj - 10 min mile would be middle-of-the-pack at our club.
19/03/2004 at 12:39
As chairman of my local running club its good to see so many positive posts about joining a running club.

I would encourage everyone to join a club, not only is it good to run with other like minded people but it will help to improve your running as you will get loads of advice (to much sometimes!)

Any club worth its salt will welcome runners of all abilities so no one should be worried about not being able to keep up or get left behind as most clubs will either have a policy of always coming back for all runners (like ours) or have groups of even paced runners. The only time I would not recommend trying to join a club is that if you have never run before.

Can confirm Sythrees comment about Athletics clubs, they use to be elitist some years ago but have learnt that good runners don't just turn up but have to be helped along the way so are now more open to runners of all abilities. And that's coming from someone who belongs to a 'Strider's' club!

Go on do it, all clubs will let you have a few runs with them before asking you if you would like to join, so what have you got to lose?
19/03/2004 at 12:47
Ji - I also told myself for ages that I'd join a club once I got consistently under 10 min miles. I've hovered just above that mark for ages, and have now decided that the best way of getting under it consistently... is to join a club.

I think I've realised that it's just a way of me putting it off, so I'm definitely going to get it sorted NOW!
23/03/2004 at 16:23
Ji, dont bother waiting to get under 10 minute miles as there will be plenty of people at clubs who run that pace anyway.

1 to 20 of 61 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.