Running clubs

8 messages
23/10/2002 at 17:35
No running club exists in the small rural town where I live, but there are other runners.
I should like to start an informal club.
Any advice from anybody who has done so??????
23/10/2002 at 19:46
I've never started club but I think all of the organizations you need to contact to make it all official like are at the bottom of the events pages in RW.

Good luck
24/10/2002 at 15:09
Rather than form a formal club, which needs all manner of forms and stuff, why not just stick a note on the notice board at the local sports centre/swimming pool/newsagents suggesting getting together to run in a group?
Ian
24/10/2002 at 16:27
There are advantages in having a formal club such as insurance if injured during a race, discount for clubs affiliated to the appropriate bodies and of course places in the London Marathon dependent on size of club. Of course it means having a formal constitution and officers but all that can be very informal. My first club was a very small affair and committee meetings took place in the pub over a few jars. In my present club (Stafford Harriers) I only pay £17 to be a member and for that I get access to changing rooms, a social club with bar (its worth cohabiting with some existing facilities or another sports club), a £1 off all races, all XC races free, a discounted club running vest and, most importantly, a good bunch of mates. My £17 probably saves me about £50 a year!
24/10/2002 at 20:23
I have been running for about two years now and would like to do a beginners Triathlon new June in Cheshire. The only problem is... I can't ride a bike!! Does anyone know where I could get professional lessons or is there another way?
24/10/2002 at 20:30
I have been running for about two years now and would like to do a beginners Triathlon next June in Cheshire. The only problem is... I can't ride a bike!! Does anyone know where I could get professional lessons or is there another way?
25/10/2002 at 14:53
Boing! This lady needs an answer. Sadly I don't have one so I've given her a bounce instead.
26/10/2002 at 21:02
Ref setting up a Club in a new area. What one of our local villages did was put a notice on the local health centre board and in local papers/newsheets for meeting place. They met a few times in a local hall to find out how many of them there were, then all joined the Road Runners Club for the first year (£12.50 each) which gave them insurance for RTAs, reduced race entry and a national newsletter. They couldn't enter XC races from that, only road races, but after a year, the group had grown through being seen around the area regularaly, and they were able to form a committee, draw up a constitution, elect officers and affiliate to the necessary groups tob ecome a 'proper' running club.
They now run their own multi-terrain race annually which helps to keep their annual membership subs down and are becoming quite well known around the cuonty.
They have been going for 4 years.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.