Running further or more frequently?

7 messages
10/03/2013 at 10:00
Hey guys I know this has probably been asked before and I did look for a thread similar to the one I am about to submit but I couldn't find one that catered exactly for my needs. At the moment I run between 5 and 7 miles every other day, this means that sometimes I run 3 times a week and sometimes I run 4 times a week. I am 20 and I have been running since I was 16 recreationally. To give you an idea of my pace my last timed run was 5 miles in 32:45. I could maybe run faster than this if I really pushed myself and prepared properly. I am looking to maintain a good base of fitness, I do pressups, chinups, situps etc etc daily and aside from running I rollerskate frequently. I am looking to join the military either late this year or early next year. My question is would continuing to run as I currently run be more beneficial to me than running 3 miles 6 days a week, with Sunday's as a rest day? What are the pro's and cons of running shorter distances frequently compared to running longer distances less frequently? I have a good diet, I drink only water and maybe alcohol once or twice a month. I eat fairly well, eating a mixture of fruits, pasta, cereals, carbs before running, protein after etc etc. If anyone could elaborate on my diet that would also be great. Thanks guys.
10/03/2013 at 10:02
Just to add I do sometimes binge on chocolate and biscuits
10/03/2013 at 10:04
EDIT again sorry guys my 5 mile time was 33:45 not 32:45. It's this stupid phone I'm using.
10/03/2013 at 10:24

what do you want to do? Maintain overall fitness? Run fast over shorter distances? Maintain stamina over longer distances?

Without going into detail, I would think you're better staying as you are than running 3 miles every day.

But long term, you would improve on all aspects of your running by introducing runs of different lengths done at different paces, from a long slow run of maybe 10 miles to a sharp tempo run of 40 minutes down to interval sessions as simple as 10 60 second fast  sessions with 30 seconds of rest inbetween. You can rest after a hard session, you don't need to run every day or even every other day come to that.

10/03/2013 at 12:12

Vary it all a bit .......do you run off road ?.........do any steep hill work?........I would drop a short speed run into your regime ,and if your not already go off road and up some hills.........just don,t stick to the same routine week in week out .

10/03/2013 at 17:08
I have 2 5 mile routes of differing gradient and terrain so my mix is ok. I will however throw in some shorter/longer distances. My main goal is to basically retain my fitness and body composition. I would like to keep my body fat % down to a minimum and put on a bit of muscle.
10/03/2013 at 18:37

I've been saying that for 30 years

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.