Running in California

They are so lucky!

7 messages
13/12/2012 at 09:06

I spent a week working in northern California. I did some runs before work on most days I was there. They are so incredibly lucky over there. I was running without gloves, a buff or my headband even at 5am. The trails I found on my last day were dry and did not leave me muddy. It was very hard to believe this was December!

I did a brief write up here: http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2012/12/11/a-week-in-california/

Check out the panoramic shot at the bottom of the post - there is a picture but also a 3d interactive thingy.

13/12/2012 at 09:53

Corr!  Northern California looks like Dartmoor/Wales/Scotland but without the rain/snow! 

I know this was a busines trip, but it always makes me laugh when people seem bemused that I want to run when I'm on holiday, as if I'm taking work with me or something.  I remember a beautiful run I had a little further south than this, around San Franscisco Bay.  Best pre-breakfast run ever.

13/12/2012 at 11:39

I love running when I go away business or holiday (apart from Crete perhaps which was a bit hot even at 6am).

I also like muddy runs, but maybe thats just me.

13/12/2012 at 15:57
I've run on holiday in Luxor (Egypt across the Nile from the Valley of the Kings). Hot as hell, but the locals were fantastic - shouts, cheers and applause. I even had a guy riding along side on a cycle giving me encouragement

On the other hand......

I've run in Naples (Italy up the coast from Pompey). A filthy city - something to do with Mafia involvement in rubbish collection. I got hit by a moving van's wing mirror whilst running on the pavement
13/12/2012 at 16:08
http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/493151/gallery/new_zealand_2011copy.png?width=350

New Zealand one year ago.

Freezing bollocks off now. Where's that wine? I'm going to drown myself!

Edited: 13/12/2012 at 16:24
13/12/2012 at 17:47
Great photo Ric. Did you know (you probable do!) that Peter Snell broke the world Mile record running on a grass track.
19/12/2012 at 15:47

Wow, that picture has just made me really jealous! I love running abroad. Favourite still New York, worst was probably Rwanda - the heat and altitude really got to me, but I expect if I'd have had longer to adapt that would have been my favourite, because the trails are beautiful... just very hard work!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.