Running In Cheltenham/Gloucester

Advice needed!!

41 to 52 of 52 messages
27/04/2004 at 16:16
Sung in wonderful tuneless dirge tune (normally belonging to some hymn or other)
29/04/2004 at 12:01
Cheers for advice thus far,spoke to a bloke from Cheltenham AC on Saturday and he gave me a bit of useful info.
Coincidentally,use to liv e on the Wirral so will know some of the haunts that Dave the Spartan uses now!!Royden Park wins every time,never had a bad run there...
29/04/2004 at 13:18
Sensible
too much stuff from the posh lads lasses in Chelters in Glaws there are Severn AC and Gloucester AC.Wellcome to Gods own country,if you are looking in Glos for a long recovery run down the towpath from Glos docks is great you can go 17miles all the way to Sharpness, by the way will this mean the Bowerman van in the county?
29/04/2004 at 15:04
Yes it will,my reputation obviously precedes me!!Was hoping to keep that bit quiet!
Will try to contact local clubs as soon as I get there?
Which are the dodgy parts of Gloucester?Trying to hide an orange van is not easy....
29/04/2004 at 16:28
There are no dodgy parts of Gloucester we are far too nice,hope we will also see you at the other main attraction ie. Kingsholm/Castle Grim, home of The Cherry and Whites Gloucester Rugby Club. Seriously it is a lovely part of the world and loads of places to run.
30/04/2004 at 09:30
Sensible - some great off-road running along the Cotswold Way around Cheltenham - Cheltenham always seem a serious club, and also Stroud.

If you have the Bowerman van in your possession, why not give it an outing at the end of June when City of Bath AC organise the Cotswold Way Relay - 10 legs, 100m from Chipping Camden to Bath, 50-ish teams. Details and contact on the Club website.
04/05/2004 at 17:35
TBW - Thanks for the suggestion,could see that one being a bit of a logistical nightmare though,with the race being 100 miles!!

Had a nice muddy run on Monday exploring the outskirts of Cheltenham and Gloucester,criss-crossing the M5 just below j11.Lots of public footpaths.So I've got some good running routes,now I just need somewhere to live!!!!
21/03/2005 at 16:18
21/03/2005 at 16:21
Didn't quite get that right!

Try again:

Hi Sensible,

There's another club in Cheltenham, Almost Athletes, who are very friendly. They (we) have regular Wednesday evening runs and longer ones on Friday and at the weekend. Membership is £5.

There are some great runs from Cheltenham into the Cotswolds and back, though recently I've started catching a bus to places like Bourton-on-the-Water and running back.

As for places to live, I live 5 minutes from the High Street, and it's quieter than when I used to live in the country!
21/03/2005 at 16:29
That's a blast from the past Nigel! See you on the Cotswold Way
21/03/2005 at 17:36
Following on from Fruitcakes's run, here's one of my favourite runs from the centre of town. You'll need an OS map though.

From Sandford Park, go through Cox's Meadow, up Sandy Lane to Seven Springs, take the footpath opposite at the crossroads, up to Upper Coberley, then between fields to Needlehole Forge, down, down, down their track, turn left and go up (,up, up!) the lane to a stile and footpath on the left. Take this across St. Paul's Epistle - strange name for a field - and cross the A436.

Continue straight ahead then left, turn right and cross a field diagonally leftwards. Go through the gate and follow the footpath down a path through the trees to the A40.

Run down the pavement opposite before doubling back on a track that takes you close to a small Caravan Club site close to Dowdeswell Reservoir outfall. Take the footpath just next to the B&B bungalow that caters for Cotswold Way walkers. The path goes up and is the toughest section for me, probably because of the steps, which are at different distances apart and mess with your rhythm. When it levels out, continue round the side of a farm, ignoring the rubbish strewn about and the singing power lines above. Go through 2 stiles and around 2 sides of a field to a metal gate. Cross the lane and carry on, past some ever-lengthening repaired dry stone walling, to a road, which you follow for about 50 metres to a stone stile on the left.

Run down the field, through a steep patch of scrub, and down another field to a gate. Go a few yards to the right along a track, but before the farm take a footpath on your left (unlike the footpaths on the map). Descend the field and cross two rather odd gate/stiles and cross a bridge on your left. Keep close to the stream valley on your right until you reach a road, which is followed in the same direction.

Skirt Hewletts Reservoir by going left at the grassy triangle and right at the fork. Turn left at the car barrier and do the final few steps of uphill through Battledown, before descending to Hailes Road, where a left turn takes you past the London Rd crossroads back to Sandford Park.

I'm afraid I've been a bit more verbose than Fruitcake's. It's about 13 miles with 430 metres of ascent.
21/03/2005 at 17:50
>There are no dodgy parts of Gloucester we are far too nice

Like where my son was beaten up? Hmmm.

Yes, maybe, Boy Wonder, although I expect you'll be doing a stretch near Bath?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 52 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.