Running in Morning

17 messages
14/08/2002 at 17:09
I get up at 6.00, drink 2Lts of water over 1/2 hour, warm up for 15 mins, then run for an hour 8/10 miles depends on the day, then shower and work. eat about 10.00
Graham
14/08/2002 at 17:28
I envy you both. Running in the morning must be idyllic, especially at this time of year, and has the added bonus of avoiding all the adolescent oiks who hang around the streets in the evening heckling innocent runners.

It takes me an hour or two in the morning before I'm flexible enough even to think about running.

Cheers, V-rap.
14/08/2002 at 17:29
i get up at 6.00, have a very large coffee and a couple of bagels....oh, and a pint of squash too....run at 7.30....anything from 30 mins to 3 hours....
14/08/2002 at 17:31
Generaly I don't like running long distances very early in the morning, but during training for this years FLM I needed to get started asap on the weekend long runs so as to have at east some of the day to do other things. I found thatabout 8 miles was about as far as I wanted to go on an empty stomache so resorted to having a bannana or a muffin 1.5 hrs before leaving, also took Lucusade Sport with me. As mileage exceeded 16 miles, I took jelly babies with me.
The bottom line though is we are all different and our bodies have different tollerences.

cheers, jenks
14/08/2002 at 19:56
I have to train in the morns as i work 9.00am - midnight 6 days a week and will not train on my day off, which is reserved for alcohol abuse, curry/chinese, and evrything else in excess.
living in the country there is nothing better than a brisk rum thro the forest at 7.30am, sets me up for the day, and its bloody cooler as well
graham
14/08/2002 at 19:57
I'm generally up at 6.30 am to feed the hubby before he goes to work. By the time he's gone and i've woken it's about 8am by the time i'm out of the door, so my early breakfast cereal is just about digested. I can eat a banana up to 15 minutes before a gentle run, then take sports drink with me.
15/08/2002 at 09:57
Impressed with everyone who can eat and drink before they run - I tend to get out of bed 6.45, have a slurp of water and out of the door by 6.50-6.55.. Walk first 200m from door as warm up (though really 'coz its up a great big hill!!).. then run for 25-40mins depending on sched...
This time of year its easy - but harder in the winter... Once I am in the routine of getting up there, its quite easy... Get to pass the same people, walking dogs, stood at bus stops every day... surreal...
15/08/2002 at 12:45
The snooze button on my alarm is more overworked than I am. Does anybody know of any certain methods of encouraging/forcing one to get the hell out of bed for an early morning training run. I just can't seem to shake off those early morning anchors that are forcing me to stay wrapped up for as long as possible.

Help

Gregg
15/08/2002 at 12:50
Get up at 6 to 6.15am. Big bowl of conflakes and muesli and lots of milk. Big glass of water then out the door by 6.30 ish. Run anything from 400m reps to 17m (depending on day) although the longer runs I often have a banana as well. I'm one of the lucky people that can eat and be out running in 10 mins with no problems I think.
15/08/2002 at 13:03
Get up at 5.35 quick glasse of fresh orange then off I go. I run anything from 45 mins to 1hr 15 mins. It's hard to get up at first but once you have a set schd it becomes easy. During the week it's the best time for me to run as I have two small kids and they come first at night.
15/08/2002 at 13:07
To try and fit in runs without disrupting work / home life too much, I run to work a couple of times a week.

Find I need a gap between waking up and leaving the house of at least 30-40 minutes. Try and have a banana and a pint of water as soon as I wake up. Then leave about 30 minutes later.

This gets me through the 7.3 miles between home and the office... having said this I much prefer running in the evening when I'm better carbed up...

Can't say that morning running has affected my immune system as that recent report suggested... I'm generally less sick than my work colleagues who exercise in the evening.

Ho hum...
15/08/2002 at 13:21
I get up at 2.15am, cook a large roast dinner, down a few refreshing pints of Fosters, then head off, usually clocking around the 40 minute mark for 15 miles. I'm back in bed before you lazy people have even woken.
15/08/2002 at 13:22
sorry, only messing
15/08/2002 at 13:54
I get up at 6:30, have breakfast (one small piece of (gluten free) "toast" and tea), put the boy's breakfast ready and then out the door for shorter runs, followed by pool session.

Longer runs have to wait til husband and son are off for the day, otherwise I don't get to the pool (best before 9am), and that is dangerous.

I realize I am terribly spoiled having middle of the day time when I can run - ex-invalid status has its privileges. Nonetheless, I prefer to run in the mornings.

Tried running in late afternoon once recently. Scary! All those teenagers mocking me. Give me the dog-walkers any day.

Gregg: have you tried a dog? I borrow one over the summer, who is superb at enforcing the alarm clock. She hears it go off, comes to my bedside and shoves a cold nose in my ear. I tell her its still bedtime. She lies down for 90 seconds. Repeat. The third time, she appears with one of my precious running socks in her mouth. She makes sure I've noticed, then with a wink and a toss of her head she's off downstairs. "I'm sure you'll follow soon boss, you wouldn't want holes in that sock, would you?"

I do a lot of darning when she's in residence.
OB
15/08/2002 at 15:16
Up at 5.40, have half a pint of water and a banana and then run or gym from 6.30 til 7.30. Back home, walk dogs, bath (to soak muscles) and then breakfast.

Its my routine so don't have a problem although it helps on those winter mornings to have made a commitment to meet up with someone else!
15/08/2002 at 15:39
I don't run in the mornings because it's bad for you!!

No seriously...in a recent Cycling Weekly there was a report on a study done at Brunel that showed exercise early in the morning increases the production of a hormone that suppresses the immune system making the athlete more susceptible to infections.

They also not that exercise in the afternoons is more beneficial (but they don't say why or how).

Personally I simply can't muster the will to get out of bed and exercise but at least now I have a 'reason' not to.
16/08/2002 at 11:48
I always much preferred mornings.
I've heard the immune suspression arguements, but there is also a case for early morning because it is a better fat burning time.

Five o'clock in the afternoon your body is at it's most supple and warmed up.

No we are all different what ever suits you is the right time.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.