Running in Russia

Runner friendly countries?

11 messages
11/08/2009 at 14:51
I am due to spend some time in St Petersburg in September on business and this falls smack in the middle of a marathon training programme I am following. Having never been to Russia (and don't know anyone who has) I was wondering if anyone has experienced running in this part of the world. Do you see people out running like in the UK? Any advice gratefully received.
11/08/2009 at 14:54
11/08/2009 at 15:44

I used to live in Moscow, but this was a way back. I don't recall seeing runners then (I wasn't a runner myself so wouldn't have noticed).

Anyhoo ... there is a runners' forum right here. I'm assuming you don't know Russian, in which case about halfway down there's a section for English speakers. Doesn't seem very active but it's worth asking your questions and you never know, someone might answer.

Incidentally, I do know Russian so if you get responses in that language just let me know and I can translate them for you.

11/08/2009 at 15:51

Kevin

friend of mine moved to St P for work, and does a bit of running. I will email him this link, and see whether he is interested in contacting you. He isnt on RW, but he might be interested in having a short term running buddy.

N

11/08/2009 at 17:24
there's bound to a Hash going on there
11/08/2009 at 17:26
file:///C:/Users/porks/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

11/08/2009 at 17:29

I dunno what happened there, but here's the limk for the Hash house Harriers in St P

Hash russia

they meet every second Sun and there's loads of contact details there. 

The only downside is you'll get a silly nickname

Edited: 11/08/2009 at 17:30
11/08/2009 at 17:46

Grown men with silly nicknames - how naff is that?

11/08/2009 at 19:58
When I was last in st petersburg I ran a fair bit, mostly along the river.  It was fine, no problems bar a few funny looks. Didn't see another runner while I was there though.
11/08/2009 at 20:00
Oh, and take some insect repellent, you'll need it in st petersburg
12/08/2009 at 13:06

i used to run while i was out there

depending on whether you will be city running or out in the countryside.in the countryside dogs can be a problem,also if road running be wary of vehicles they may not want to give you room

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.