Running in the snow . . .

21 to 40 of 56 messages
19/01/2013 at 20:26

Lovely 9.5 miles at 6.30 this morning about 3 inch of snow so used the trail shoes. Saw one other runner on my way home. 

It was great then went out sledging with the kids which was even better 

19/01/2013 at 21:16

Lovely run yesterday, (snow day off work!), round quiet Wiltshire lanes through mostly crisp untouched snow, like running through a Christmas card, beautiful!

19/01/2013 at 21:17

Shoes are the issue for me...i am supposed to be doing 16 miles tomorrow, thought id stick to roads on road shoes as im a bit concerned my trail shoes wont have enough shock absorbtion for that kind of distance especially if the snow is melted on the road (no pavements in this neck of the woods!) 

19/01/2013 at 21:27

Recommend yak trax

19/01/2013 at 21:42
I found it much easier to run off road today. Not as slippery. So if you can wear the trail shoes and get off road. Much less impact as well.
19/01/2013 at 21:58

going out tomorow hopefully

19/01/2013 at 21:59

Sophie I thought the same but used the trail shoes anyway. I ran in the snow and when I felt my calfs aching due to the greater resistance I then ran on the road a bit to ease them off. 

19/01/2013 at 22:36

Did the parkrun in the snow today. Beautiful. Not too deep here.

20/01/2013 at 00:14

Lovely run today through the woods. Soft snow. Addidas Kanadias did well.  Place to myself.

Smug.

20/01/2013 at 01:22
Not convinced trail shoes would make much difference on the pavements where I live in west London - the ice is compacting and I'm going to end up hurting myself! Was thinking of driving somewhere else or just going to where the pavements are clearer but other than Oxford street, I can't imagine anywhere would be clear enough yet. I suppose running on grass in a park might be an option?

Any Londoners got any suggestions for an ice-free surface today (Sunday) please? The are a couple of us locakly who are keen to get a run in this weekend without breaking our necks!

Thx
20/01/2013 at 15:58

Couldnt make myself do the whole road thing, slapped on the trail shoes and did 16 miles trail - apart from stinging eyes from the snow all good!

Just watch out though - sledgers are creating ice rinks, had to cut through a park to loop back and went a cropper!  

Hope    pirate
20/01/2013 at 16:04

6 miles off road in the snow yesterday and 10 miles today. I really enjoyed it. My legs feel as though they've done twice the distance 

20/01/2013 at 16:09
Ran 10miles around south London yesterday afternoon. Only saw 3 other runners which is a small fraction of the usual number. Normal road shoes without any problems, though my legs felt heavier at the end.
20/01/2013 at 16:35

the trails today had more runners than ive seen all year, like everyone came out today in a sea of neon long sleeve tops, it was great to see.

20/01/2013 at 17:00
Toughest 15 miles I've ever done today. And slowest. But glad I got out in the snow, didn't see any other runners.
20/01/2013 at 17:33

I did 21 miles in the snow today, it was great, another recommendation for yak trax! Except by 17 miles they weren't so comfortable under foot. I saw one cyclist today and no runners, but then I never do where I live.

20/01/2013 at 17:50

30 snowy, mostly-pavement miles for me today (still got a sore posterior tibial tendon I'm rying to not-upset, or I would have gone offroad. Stabilicers (sport variety) were great while it was icy with a little snow on the top - felt perfectly safe stepping onto the ice. Quick pit stop at home at 20 miles (ate a great piece of Christmas cake) and the snow was deeper by then (ended up about four inches deep) so I changed socks & shoes and wore my Neo trail shoes instead for the last 10 miles.

20/01/2013 at 18:41

7.5 miles today on the pavements. Slow going and a bit dodgy in places but still enjoyable. As long as you think ahead and dont allow yourself to drift off too much, you'll be fine. No other runners spotted today round my gaff either. Some guy told me I was mad on Friday pulling up alongside me in his car. I said youre the one driving a 2 tonne chunk of metal on snow, Im just running on it! 

20/01/2013 at 19:19
9.5 miles off road. A mixture of fresh stuff for the first half across fields and though woods, then second half canal towpath and round the golfcourse. Felt further, but this was my first 'proper run' for a couple of weeks as I've had a sore calf.
A few runners round the golf course where the snow was packed hard and perhaps a little slippery.
21/01/2013 at 10:15

Out again this morning, also wanted to check to see what the main roads where like before going to work . . . still lots of fresh snow to run on so no real grip problems and still very people about, think everybody has hibernated!,  . . . which may not be such a bad idea

21 to 40 of 56 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.