Running in the snow?

21 to 40 of 109 messages
06/01/2010 at 11:49
Often gyms let you use them on a "pay per visit" basis, but many require you to have an induction first (which costs stupid amounts normally). I'd suggest ringing around and asking as different gyms will vary - often the council run gyms are more lenient (& less expensive) than private ones. Have you tried running offroad where there should be less ice underfoot?
06/01/2010 at 11:59
Going at lunchtime, in about an hour, and looking forward to it!
06/01/2010 at 11:59
Thanks - good advice, I'll check out the council gyms idea. Off road would be ideal but i live in the centre of a city so it's hard to get out (and don't have a car!). Ah well, guess just have to do pilates in my living room and wait for the thaw!
06/01/2010 at 12:04
went out for my first run in the snow was wicked !!!!!!! carnt get the speed i'd like but still great fun ........ well until i was attacked by a barage of snow balls from work colllagues
06/01/2010 at 13:02
No, no, Cake, I meant they have replaced their tracksters/ tights with shorts, ie bare legs. 
06/01/2010 at 13:25

Yesterday the snow was really bad here and came a fair distance up my wellies as I walked to work, as yesterday was not my timetabled running day I wasn't too concerned.  Overnight, the snowing has stopped but it appears that the existing snow has frozen over really badly and the ice that has formed is horrific!  I had planned on a nice gentle  5miles as I too am training for a first marathon, but I feel that I may end up doing myself more harm than good so instead am using the Wii fit jogging!!!  Not sure if this counts but at least I'm trying!  I am not ruling out venturing out later on but as it stands tomorrow is looking favourable!

06/01/2010 at 14:15
I think blokes put shorts over their running tights for reasons of modesty.  They don't want to look like a male lead ballerina !  Some men call running / cycling tight B****ck crushers or BC's.
06/01/2010 at 14:20
on the cold wintery days like this it takes a very brave and confident man too get out there in tights with it all(maybe not all after shrinkage !!!!!!) on show lol
06/01/2010 at 14:23
Yep saw some of the crazy people just running in shorts last night. Brrrr! Had a run at lunch in the snow, but it's not settling where I am which helps. Just a bit sludgy in places. Thought I'd better get a run in while I can before it goes icy.
06/01/2010 at 14:40

dont finish work till 6pm each night and its pitch black up in the hill !!!!! really not looking forward to it

06/01/2010 at 17:33

Didn't make it out in the snow - like Mrs Gump I am worried about getting injured as i need every day's training I can get.  And it's snowing hard outside.....maybe tomorrow morning if not too icy.

I'm also going to be doing some jogging on the wii fit and a bit of boxing - better than nothing...

06/01/2010 at 17:52

Did 3miles this morning and then 3 back this evening.

Lots of fun, got a lot of comments on my way home tonight but mostly nice ones, and no snowballs thrown at me which was a surprise.

Great as the snow cushions the impact!

(oh yeah I wore tights without shorts over the top)

06/01/2010 at 18:13
I have run on snow in the past, around the perimeter of a golf course which totalled about 2 miles.  I'm not running in snow just now.  Gym for me unfortunately, safety first until the snow clears.
CkT
06/01/2010 at 18:18
Due to run 6 miler at 6.30 tomorrow morning, but last time it snowed here in central London it was pretty slippy out and I ended up walking half of it. Stealing myself for the treadmill and being bored to death. Only hoping it's better for the long run at the weekend... You know when you're getting old when instead of being ridiculously excited by the snow it becomes a giant pain.
06/01/2010 at 19:16

First proper snow run today...was debating whether or not to go for ages, but finally plucked up the courage to do it and was SO glad! It was amazing; the snow was so soft, not slippy at all; just had to watch out when crossing roads and for cars taking pleasure in splashing me..! Was quite slow going but it was nice to feel under pressure time wise - I'm sure I got extra training from the snow anyway! The air was so lovely and cool and the pavements and fields were so clear as everyone was inside avoiding the cold!

Very glad I got a run outside in today as tomorrow is bound to be an ice skating rink everywhere - off to the dreadmill for me...

Miles:5.5

Snowballs thrown at me: one

Half frozen hidden streams stepped in: one, 4 times!

Runners seen: none

"Are you crazy or plain insane"/ disbelieving faces: too many to count...

06/01/2010 at 19:22

I went out for a run early this morning in the park near my flat... the snow was fresh, fluffy and ankle deep, and there was hardly anyone around so it was deathly quiet and still. Beautiful.

As for clothing, I'm a total wuss when it comes to the cold - I wore running tights with joggers over the top, two long-sleeved tops and gloves!

06/01/2010 at 19:31
+ expect to have your leg in plaster as well? Our local hospital has had 25 runners in A & E since last night with falls in the snow and ice ...8 of those had fractures! Cant see why anyone would want to run in those conditions? God, a few days away from your training wont hurt anyone so just wait until the weather inproves
06/01/2010 at 19:50
Did 5.5 miles this afternoon, stunning views of Devon around me, really hard work particually in virgin snow but its was a fantasic run. Tomorrow will probably be a non-starter once its iced up.
06/01/2010 at 20:17
agree clif went for a run yesterday down on my arse like a sack of s**t give my knee a knock luckily i ran it off  but its stiff  cut and bruised today
07/01/2010 at 14:40

In my earlier advice about running in the snow and keeping your feet dry I did forget to mention shoes so I will start again.

A thin pair of socks, cover these with plastic bags, thin ones the kind of thing you put fruit and veg in.

Another pair of socks on top of this.

A pair of shoes, I prefer my fell shoes in the snow and ice and have had no problems.

Happy running.

21 to 40 of 109 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.