Running in the snow?

41 to 60 of 109 messages
07/01/2010 at 15:50
I've just done 16 miles over local footpaths/rights of way, mostly ok but its alot harder going than normal, and I landed on my arse royally on mile 14!
07/01/2010 at 21:28

Hi folks,

Finally got the courage to go out for a run (south west london). Wore my XT Wings trail shoes, pair of shorts, short sleeve top with a wind stopper jacket on top. It was a totally AWESOME run was very proud of myself  

Did a total of 10.5km in 54mins. 75% of my route was snow (1-2 inches) and ice. The rest was normal pavement. Had very few issues with slipping. Decided to leave my ipod at home so I could concentrate on where I was stepping!

The ice was more 'crunchy' (like slush puppy ) than slippery which helped, it was only when crossing side road junctions where compacted ice from cars I took extra care. You can tell from the street lights where the black ice was as its more shiny and could easily dodged them.

It was a fantastic run, jacket kept me cosy and warm......only been running for just over a year, loved it!

UFO
08/01/2010 at 08:50
To get a grip on icy pavements, use ladies' tights OVER your tainers. Slip them over or wrap them around. Or a pair of socks used similarly will do a less good job. So get the scissors and raid the wife's drawers !!
UFO
08/01/2010 at 10:43
Does anyone find that after you've been on a long run in these icy conditions, that you wake up with stiff ankles the next day? (I said ankles...)
08/01/2010 at 10:49

been out a few times, as long as you avoid the icey patches where all the snow has been compressed and turned into a sheet of ice, your fine.

just managed to convince my dad to come out and do a run this afternoon. cant wait

08/01/2010 at 16:49
Why is it you run slower in the snow even when its not slippy i was 10 minutes slower over 10k then usual and i ran on the snowy roads rather then the icy roads most of the way?
08/01/2010 at 17:03

Megaskud, I have the same thing ankles wise. I run fine on snow and ice, and have been the whole time but I find it does give my ankles a work out. It might be the little slips that happen when pushing off that over extend a little bit. Maybe its just being a bit more tense and trying not to slip. I find I concentrate much more on where my feet are going and as a result have much better form when on ice!

UFO - good tip with the tights. Will try that actually...

08/01/2010 at 20:49
the other end of the tights can be pulled over your head then no one wil recognise you
08/01/2010 at 21:12

EH trust you

I'm going to try the tights idea (not over my head).  Going for a run with Shelly on Sunday and buying a pair of fell shoes tomorrow. Ok I'll rephrase that:

I'm going to buy a pair of fell shoes tomorrow with a view to going for a run with shelly on Sunday.  I'll try the tights thing just as an extra precaution.  Now the thing is what colour should I go for? Or should I try the lacy ones?

08/01/2010 at 21:41
I'm too bloody old to be getting into tights. Anyhow in this weather ther is nothing to show for it.
08/01/2010 at 22:33

I'm saying nowt.

08/01/2010 at 22:46
OO haven't had the courage to run in the snow yet..missing running soooo much.  Have only seen about 1 runner ourtall week.  Gona try venture out in the light tomo.....will be interesting i'm sure!!
08/01/2010 at 22:53
 bee!n there and tried it and decided the treadmill is the safest option !! it is nice when the snow has just fallen , but when there are icy patches it is just too dangerous!!! if people are walking are going arse over tit what chance do us runners have!!! I  would sooner brave the dreadmill and be injury free than have my leg in traction!!
08/01/2010 at 23:16

just get a pair of these bad boys they are doing me a great job even on ice

http://gearjunkie.com/images/1425.jpg i got em from www.northernrunner.com

09/01/2010 at 07:31
They're out of stock, as are yaktrax
09/01/2010 at 09:38
 well joe carter they are a great idea!!! even if they do resemble something from a torture chamber!!!
09/01/2010 at 11:18
I haven't been risking running, but I've been out walking.  Figured best to be doing something rather than sitting indoors doing nothing (like I am now! )...  Getting to the gym would be great, but watched my neighbour trying to get his car (same model as mine) out of our car park area unsuccessfully, sliding sideways, and decided to leave my car alone under its snow cap!  There's a wall behind, & another car right next to it, so any sliding will be likely to result in a lot more grief than another day of relying on feet or buses.
09/01/2010 at 12:09

I love snow running its magic. I wear my adidas kanadias, they have been brilliant. Problem is here in Cornwall there is more ice than snow so having to be very careful, hills are lethal,  and much slower than my garmin would like! Beach is good, frozen wet sand is a bit like a running track. Supposed to be doing a 20 mile easy tomorrow am, (my marathon is on March 7th) so i'm on mapometer trying to find a flattish route that might have been gritted! Dont fancy off road in the dark! The nice thing is there is virtually no traffic here early morning, nobody is risking driving on our untreated roads. I like the snow but i'm looking forward to a thaw so i get back on my bike, i just dont dare cycle in this! Cant use our local leisure centre for swim or gym, its been shut cos half the staff couldnt get in!

09/01/2010 at 13:03
Did it!  Only manged 4 miles round my local park...but fantastic!!  And was soo very close to giving in to the dreaded treadmill!!  Will attempt a longer off-road run tomo!!
09/01/2010 at 13:24

I've been out in my Innov8 Mudclaws with ice grippers attached! Did 5.5 miles yesterday and it felt like 10!!! Think I was the only one not slipping, we've had 8" here and everyone seems to think I am mad! Never had to dodge so many pedestrians before  I've been wearing sealskinz too as my feet would've got wet otherwise 

I've done around 30 miles since the snow came, my feet are my only way to get around as I live on a steep hill and can't get my car out! Although I am off to try and get my mountain bike roadworthy in a min!

41 to 60 of 109 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.