Running in the snow?

61 to 80 of 109 messages
09/01/2010 at 13:37
can you get snow chains for a bike then?!!!!
09/01/2010 at 16:50
surfcat wrote (see)
can you get snow chains for a bike then?!!!!

no I actually ran the 3 miles to my parents house in 32 min picked up my bike to ride home and it took 48 min  Think maybe I'll have to stick to foot power until the roads are clearer!
09/01/2010 at 17:11
Is it natural to be slower in these conditions?
09/01/2010 at 17:13
its alot harder in loose snow not so bad on the compact stuff! It's very hilly here too!
09/01/2010 at 17:16

Yeah its very difficult to run at your normal pace in snow without breaking your neck! I've just backed right off the pace so that i can get some training done without risking injury thus defeating the point of training.

Must admit quite good fun in the snow tho

09/01/2010 at 17:22
don't know about defeating the object, if you run through the deep slushy/ powdery stuff its quite hard going on your legs!!!
09/01/2010 at 17:26

Did 8 miles today mostly on the beach where no snow/ice. My legs ache more than normal! Good stamina trainging with a strong NE wind ( on the east coast.

09/01/2010 at 18:15
Slower runs help to build strength in your legs.  It's good to slow down sometimes. Mind you in my case it would be helpful if I could speed up sometimes
09/01/2010 at 19:29

Just got back from 8 miles. Found the going very hard when on the paths, Managed to do about 6 miles on the roads which were a lot easier but had to keep stopping to let the traffic past.

Still, its good to get out and about. Was getting some funny looks though

09/01/2010 at 19:35

Out of interest, how much snow do you all have?

We've got 4 inches or so but it's really icy in places.

Haven't ventured out for a run yet as I'd rather treadmill & continue training than risk an inury.

09/01/2010 at 19:38

Oooohhh another snow thread!  Great!  I've been out a few times to run in snow and it was very good fun.  MInd you I had my trail shoes on and I am running slower and not so far.  But I suppose you have to take what conditions you get.  Fab cross country run last night with head torch on, so quiet!

Hey Katb, how you doing?

09/01/2010 at 19:45
Hi there, Shelscrape.  I'm very well thanks.  You seem to be doing well.  Cross Country eh?How are you getting on at the club you joined?
09/01/2010 at 20:10
we had about 8" here but there's slightly less a few miles away! Think we're due some more tomight and tomorrow though. I've just been doing circuits close to the house which get boring but I didn't want to run too far away in case the weather worsened or I injure myself and freeze
09/01/2010 at 20:54
Did 13miles today some off road which was hard going ,one thing that made me smile was when running on a road past a bus stop this youth just looked at me and said you must be mad mate to which i just said yes
09/01/2010 at 20:54

ive been running faster times on my circuit that i do. think its because im trying to get warmer, hehe.

i dont actually want to go quicker, trying to stay within my zones.

09/01/2010 at 21:01
Got 18 miles planned tomorrow in the snow in the south east! Bit nervous about it. Gonna do it in 2 loops just in case it all goes wrong. Nice to read others have been out though, helps the confidence!
09/01/2010 at 21:31

Let us know how it goes ! Anyone watch the Great Edinburgh International Cross Country womens run? Great stuff !

LadyBee wrote (see)
Got 18 miles planned tomorrow in the snow in the south east! Bit nervous about it. Gonna do it in 2 loops just in case it all goes wrong. Nice to read others have been out though, helps the confidence!

10/01/2010 at 06:52
Running on virgin snow in the fields near me is like heaven - so peaceful and almost spooky! We so rarely get weather like this that I'm determined to enjoy it! Dint gave trail shoes though, so my current ones are getting a battering and I'm getting wet feet....
It's like running on sand at times - a great strength workout, and fad better than being stuck on the treadmill being force fed 'The Hits' again!

Been looking at those clip on spikes - are they comfortable to run in ? I can't help thinking they would make your feet uneven and cause alsorts if pain / blisters on the soles of your feet? Anyone tried them?
10/01/2010 at 07:55

LadyBee,

I'm about to head out for my second 18+ miler in this year's snow. Just take it steady and remember to take lots of fluids/isotonic gels - you dehydrate quickly in this weather.

Don't worry about a target pace/time and enjoy it!

10/01/2010 at 10:41
Although a few days ago I did go running in this snow I went again yesterday and it didn't go well at all. The snow has compacted pretty well in most places but their are a lot of areas which won't go amiss on a ice rink!
Was meant to do 4 miles but after only a mile I managed to lose my footing 3 times (although I didn't fall on my arse!). I wouldn't risk it again in these conditions with normal shoes.
61 to 80 of 109 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.