Running in the snow?

1 to 20 of 109 messages
06/01/2010 at 10:06
Anyone been out for a run in the snow yet? I haven't ventured out the door, but itching too once I get a few meetings out of the way!!
06/01/2010 at 10:07
YAY another snow thread!!!!
06/01/2010 at 10:15
Yep, last night, it was great. Going out for another this afternoon as can't get to work
06/01/2010 at 10:31
I went out this morning. Footpaths had become a bit too icy so did 5k around a nearby park. Really enjoyed it. Speed was a bit lacking, but if you get a chance, I would highly recommend it! I'm already looking forward to going out tomorrow morning too!
06/01/2010 at 10:33

May seem a stupid question but can you run in snow in normal trainers?  Am very much a novice runner and 3 days into my marathon training and really don't want to miss the opportunity to go out......

I could possibly go to the gym and run on the treadmill but would prefer not to if possible as am trying to keep to running outdoors at the moment

06/01/2010 at 10:36

Angel I always run in the snow in my normal trainers - hasn't done them (or me!) any harm yet!

06/01/2010 at 10:42
Angel14 wrote (see)

May seem a stupid question but can you run in snow in normal trainers?  Am very much a novice runner and 3 days into my marathon training and really don't want to miss the opportunity to go out......

I could possibly go to the gym and run on the treadmill but would prefer not to if possible as am trying to keep to running outdoors at the moment

You should be Ok in normal trainers, just vary your stride for the conditions and expect to go slower.  However, it will be a good strength workout and better than the treadmill.
06/01/2010 at 10:47
i know this is even a sillier question but dont your feet get really wet! my trainners are febric (asisc)
06/01/2010 at 11:11

I THINK that snow is made from water...which I believe is a bit like rain?

06/01/2010 at 11:12

Depends how deep it is! I went out this morning about 5.30 and it was lovely snow only about three inches deep though- and dry feet when I got home.

06/01/2010 at 11:13

You can stop your feet from getting wet by running really gently so that your feet don't sink into the snow.

06/01/2010 at 11:17
put wellies over your trainers?
WR
06/01/2010 at 11:18
Snowing now in Northern Ireland, finish work in 2 hours and can't wait to get out for a run.... will be wearing trail shoes.
06/01/2010 at 11:26

i know this is even a sillier question but dont your feet get really wet!

Not as daft a question as it first appears.  If the snow's soft and fluffy (rather than slushy) you'll hardly notice it.  In last year's snowy deluge I went over the park in my cross country spikes (getting some strange looks from the snowball throwers and sledders...) and my feet felt perfectly comfortable running through the snow... until I crossed a road and stepped in a very cold puddle!  Eurgh!

06/01/2010 at 11:33
Yup went out earlier and LOVED it. More snow, please! My feet got wet but I wear SealSkinz socks, that keep my feeet nice and toasty! Very glad I bought them now!
06/01/2010 at 11:35

Thanks everyone!  I think I am going to brave it later and have a go - I can always turn back again if it is too slippery or horrible and can always just have a walk.  Really don't want to get injured as I need every day's training I can get if I am to run the marathon!

And shall wear my oldest trainers so if they get ruined it won't matter.  Have fun everyone!

06/01/2010 at 11:39

to stop yor feet from getting wet.

Put on a very thin pair of socks.  Cover these with plastic bags, the thin ones you put fruit in at the supermarket.

Put another pair of socks on top and off you go.

06/01/2010 at 11:41

Angel14, don't forget to wear shorts or you will, if where I live is anything to go by, look very out of place. 

For some strange reason, all those runners who have been wearing tracksters and tights for months have suddenly donned shorts

06/01/2010 at 11:43

Hippy, I read that as you should put fruit from the supermarket into the thin socks, but somehow I think that's a whole nutha thread topic..

06/01/2010 at 11:46
What if the snow gets too bad for a length of time and you just can't go out? Where I live is like an ice rink with 4 inches of snow on top and just going out to the shop on the corner is dangerous. I'm missing my running terribly and don't have a treadmill in my house. Do any gyms let you buy a session at a time or do you always have to join for ten years? I'm a total gym dunderhead - never used one, hate the thought of them but with this bad weather i'm getting drawn to it. Any ideas?
1 to 20 of 109 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.