running in the snow

10 messages
22/01/2013 at 17:42

hi everyone, what are everyones thoughts of running in the snow? i have a half marathon at the end of march and don't want to keep missing crucial runs but also dont want to injure myself. is it time to buy a treadmill? p.s im not a member of a gym  and even if i was i would have to travel at least three miles to get to it so travelling in bad conditions isnt ideal

22/01/2013 at 17:45
I've been having great fun running in the snow, just take it steady......

Yesterday ran on fresh unmarked snow along an old railway line, had brilliant hour
22/01/2013 at 18:46

so not buy a treadmill.

shorten your stride. get out there.

22/01/2013 at 20:40

Im with Dave on this one, Ive just got back in from a 5 miler not so much snow up here more ice and slush now, took it steady, a minute a mile more than normal but id say the conditions made it feel more like a trail run so was still a good workout! Wrap up and get out there Ed save those pennies for a weekend treat 

22/01/2013 at 20:41
Managed 6 miles tonight in under an hour, refreshing after being stuck inside all day
22/01/2013 at 20:46
It's actually not that hard to run in the snow ed! I haven't stopped since the snow came and haven't even slipped.

like Dave said just go for it it's even easier on fresh snow but you might struggle to find some now.

I ran XC on Sunday and absolutely loved it
22/01/2013 at 20:52

Throw on some trail shoes, tights and a softshell and get leaping through the stuff. Since the snow arrived I've been doing some short runs along footpaths through nearby fields and it's been great fun

23/01/2013 at 08:49

It does depend on the snow.  I skipped my weekend runs as the snow had frozen overnight on Friday leaving a thin crusty layer of snow on top of ice.  This was impossible to run on.

Woke up this morning to a powdery white covering of new snow (weekend stuff having melted away yesterday) that was great to run through.

You won't lose that much fitness over the wekk of disruption, and its due to disappear by this weekend.  So I wouldn't worry too much.

23/01/2013 at 09:07
Another gorgeous run this morning, suppose it all spends on how much you want it
23/01/2013 at 09:11

I did 29 miles on Sunday out in the snow. Its fine if you are careful.

Ice is different.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.