Running like a Kenyan

Speeding up

3 messages
18/06/2012 at 08:07

After watching some footage of previous Marathons where the Kenyan's finished a Marathon in just over 2hrs I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on increasing my speed.

I currently average 9.24 minutes per mile for 7 miles and completed Reading half in 2.07. I am doing Brighton and VLM (Charity) next year and am keen to increase my speed to a sub four hrs...

Can do 13 (about 2hrs now) miles fine and am aware I need to increase milage but unlike my previous attempt at London (5hrs + and 3 months training from zero to 26.2 miles) I have time to train for both but want to do myself justice..

I have booked up a 10ks for the next two months (Yateley), Basingstoke half, Cabbage patch 10, Great South Run, and Grim original (fun) and am considering a running club though my pace may put them off me!!

Any advice to increase speed from a slow running soon to be 32 year old and if joining a club will help?

18/06/2012 at 08:31
Joining a club will help !

Like you I want to improve my marathon time for brighton next year.... And my road half marathon time is about 2 hrs...

I have started doing some speed work once a week; I run up to the local school playing field and use their track. 400m (1 lap) as fast as I can go followed by a recovery lap repeat 4 times and then a gentle cools down run home I'm planning on increasing the number of repeats each week through the summer. I have an autumn half marathon booked that I also want to improve my time for.

Chatting to our club coach he has advised me to keep a long run of 13-16 miles in my schedule once every 2 weeks and then a shorter long run or race on the alternate weeks.

Personally I think to be in with a chance of a 4 hr marathon my half marathon time needs to be closer to 1:45... With a 2hr half marathon time I would hope to run the marathon in 4:30 ish.

Good luck !
18/06/2012 at 14:47

Hi Tim. Well I guess you are after the secret to the Kenyans success....? Some short-cut tips for massively improving your speed in the shortest possible time....?

It's a trick.... there is NO SHORT-CUT.

Try any of the following (or a combination thereof):

Lose lots of weight
Go running two times a day
Do strength work in the gym
Plyometrics sessions
Join a running club to get skilled coaching and extra motivation
Follow a structured training programme
Do your easy runs dead easy and your hard runs so fast you want to puke
Throw in some cross-training (biking or swimming) so you are able to sustain higher quantities of time in training, over and above pure running

I know you don't really mean "How can I easily emulate a near 2 hr Kenyan marathoner"... simply, "What can I do to go quicker?". Simply, do more training, follow a structured programme which starts at the level you currently have, incorporate elements of tempo running and high intensity speedwork (intervals).

I highly recommend you read some books on the subject. The P&D "Advanced Marathoning" is staple fare and Jack Daniel's "Running Formula" are both worthy items to have on your shelf.

Good luck, TD.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.