Running Outdoors

1 to 20 of 25 messages
05/10/2011 at 09:01
Please could you spare a few minutes to fill out my survey about running outdoors.
Thank You!

www.surveymonkey.com/s/9K3P8DY
05/10/2011 at 09:09
deep joy - another survey...

Kate - give us a good reason why we should fill it out first. what's the purpose??
05/10/2011 at 09:19
Can't you at least post a link so we can be lazy and not have to copy / paste. that's too much like effort.
05/10/2011 at 09:47
If you want to see how bad university ejoocashun has become, complete this survey. It's the worst to have crawled this way in quite a while.
05/10/2011 at 09:56

Unfortunately I couldn't get past question 1 because it's a multiple choice question asking about frequency of an activity, and it doesn't have interval classes covering all possible answers.

[edit]  To the OP - please take this as constructive criticism.  Somewhere between "every day" and "every other day" you've got a very major group of runners who train frequently (i.e. 5 or 6 days a week, possibly being very particular about having a scheduled rest day), whose opinions you no doubt want to canvass.  Maybe I'm being pedantic and I should just tick the one that most closely applies, but it's not a good start to the survey.

Edited: 05/10/2011 at 10:01
05/10/2011 at 10:11
and why do they want to know if you run with your partner before asking if you run outside?? I bombed out of it at that point

as you say IM - badly thought out, badly executed, and no hint as to the reason for the survey
05/10/2011 at 10:20
Ditto PhilPub, where is the box for 4-5 times a week on the first question?
05/10/2011 at 21:00
wow aren't you all miserable!
05/10/2011 at 23:38

not miserable, just suffering from respondent fatigue, and frustrated by not having the option to respond accurately. I'm a researcher by trade - when your potential respondents give you constructive criticism, it's usually better to act on it rather than lash out at them.

GTC
06/10/2011 at 00:11
Not a regular contributor are you Kate, It might be worth Bering in mind that the salty old sea dogs on RWF have think skins and witty tongues. When they speak u should listen and respond in kind, not in spite.

PS - forumites, I er do have my own survey coming up for my Masters but more later!!!
GTC
06/10/2011 at 09:36

If you're feeling a bit anti survey at the mo how about this one I received by email via our club website.

Has your club received any grants and if so who from? how much was it for? what did you use it for?
have you received and loans? if so was it from a member or a supporter or a finacial institution? how much was it for and what did you use it for? do you have membership? if so how much? have you received any lottery funding? do you have any sponsors? who from? How much and what did you use it for?
what do you put your money towards? Does your club sell any merchandising? And do you make any profit on it? Do you charge any fees for matches that are played? does your club organise any fund raising events? does your club receive any private investment or donations? how much for? how often? who from?

That's the entire text of the email - no name, no organisation, no explanation of why the info is being requested or what it would be used for. The reply address was a no-name Hotmail account.
I may not reply to that one either.

06/10/2011 at 09:58
oi.you wrote (see)

That's the entire text of the email - no name, no organisation, no explanation of why the info is being requested or what it would be used for. The reply address was a no-name Hotmail account.
I may not reply to that one either.

That was probably Kate Gardner 6 from the KG Shit Survey Group.
06/10/2011 at 10:05

Wow, aren't you a nippy wee sweety?  Word to the wise Kate, if you've built a survey and recieve constructive critisism (which the above is, as opposed to outright rudeness) you would be well advised to act on it!  

I also think your survey is a bit too basic for a forum full of diversity such as RW, might be worth re-jigging it to allow for a more full answer from the respondent.

06/10/2011 at 10:11
PhilPub wrote (see)

"Somewhere between "every day" and "every other day" you've got a very major group of runners who train frequently (i.e. 5 or 6 days a week, possibly being very particular about having a scheduled rest day), whose opinions you no doubt want to canvass.  Maybe I'm being pedantic and I should just tick the one that most closely applies, but it's not a good start to the survey."

Kate - serious question... if you presented your survey as it is to your supervisor, or whatever, at university (I managed to discover from another thread that this is what the survey is for) and they came out with these exact same words, would you flounce, accuse them of being miserable, and give him/her a load of cheeky back-chat, or would you stop and consider that the content of your survey might need a bit more work?
06/10/2011 at 10:19

I'm afraid that I could not respond to the survey as it was totally mixed up.

It just doesn't apply to my exercise.

06/10/2011 at 10:58

Bear in mind that these people did you the courtesy of opening and trying to complete your survey - so were trying to help.

Some of the comments may have been a little abrasive, but did address genuine issues with the survey.  I'd advise you to take the suggestions on board, rewrite the questionnaire, and try again.

06/10/2011 at 11:31

I actually did the survey because I wanted to see how bad it was after the comments. I said I exercised everyday, it didn't state what type of exercise counted, to some getting out of bed, walking down the stairs and making a cuppa is exercise!

The partner question and answers were very bizarre and lacking choices, just because someone doesn't run with a partner doesn't mean they run alone and by partner do you mean training partner or relationship partner? I run in a group but not with a partner as such  Sometimes I run alone, there wasn't an option in your survey for how I train!

Likewise the question about training outdoors had some very odd choices!

Would be interested to find out what the purpose of the survey was, I would imagine that the answers gained for it would be vague and misleading and it would need to be much more focused to be of any use at university

Edited: 06/10/2011 at 11:34
06/10/2011 at 13:35

Dear Kate Gardener 5 - ever heard the saying before, "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer!"

If you want to get on in the world, you need to deeply understand how to communicate with people. People collectively over an internet forum don't have mood swings. The only factor of significance here is how you requested help and the quality of the design of your survey.

It's lazy to imagine that there's something wrong with your respondents and not accept any responsibility for the way they reacted.

And your survey could be used to teach a class on how NOT to write a survey. It really is very bad and poorly thought out. As an example.  Say I ticked several of the options under this question:

3. What are the reasons for you exercising or not exercising with a partner?

What could you conclude about my input? Would they be positive reasons or negative reasons? You'd have no idea how to interpret the input so it would be utterly impossible to use collected data to draw any conclusions. I'm not being grumpy or testy, just logical. Like the earlier posters.

GTC
06/10/2011 at 15:52

I mentioned this briefly in my class today (more on that later, can you tell who has just signed up to a flipping new post grad course after nearly twenty years) - apart from anything this survey really should have detailed some ethical guidelines etc - particularly if it is for a university.

I never made it past the first screen but if nothing else it really did show me what not to do.

(By the way, I'm doing an MSc Sports & Exercise Psychology - its my version of a constructive mid-life crisis - so anyone got any suggestions of areas to look into from the point of view of a runner, then do let me know).

GTC
06/10/2011 at 16:35
GTC wrote (see)

(By the way, I'm doing an MSc Sports & Exercise Psychology - its my version of a constructive mid-life crisis - so anyone got any suggestions of areas to look into from the point of view of a runner, then do let me know).

How about - the psychology of people taking up running in later years and whether their new hobby is symptomatic of having a constructive mid-life crisis?

1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.