running shoes. stick or change?

Do you stick with what you know or chop and change?

21 to 38 of 38 messages
10/07/2009 at 13:28

What colour are everyone's current shoes then?

Mine are white with black and gold bits. They don't match any of my running gear.

PloddingOn    pirate
10/07/2009 at 13:30
Mine are light blue and blue and white

I got them free from Runners World (yes, that was a long time ago. but I couldn't run for about year so it doesn't count)
10/07/2009 at 13:32

I prefer my red and whites, but I can't wear them anymore since they have no cushioning, and I'm really paranoid about getting injured again.

Maybe I'll have to buy some gold running gear to match the new ones

10/07/2009 at 13:50
berry (dark pink) and white. very girly.
10/07/2009 at 14:31

Silver with a bit of black and yellow.

D2D, never gave a thought to the possibility of my gait alltering to tell you the truth. Like I say, I'm new to a lot of the technical side of all of this, Just reading some of the threads on these message boards has been good learning.

just a little question for anyone who might know, how long does it generaly take to get over the initial blisters with the asics?  The pair that I had were every bit as comfy as my mizuno's for the first mile and a bit on runs but then turned to hell there after.

10/07/2009 at 15:46
My mizunos are orange and black and white. Got assessed for the first pair and then got the second on the internet. Am due another pair I think even though  my ones feel perfectly fine still, but I want to break in a new pair for the marathon. Next time I am going to get assessed in a different shop. If I  still belong to the same category i will stay with the same shoes. Would like a change of colour but not enough to be bothered as I have been injury free so far.
10/07/2009 at 15:54

which marathon are you running Fizz?

I'm aiming to do my first next year. I've got my sights set on next years edinburgh, just depends if I get a place I suppose.

10/07/2009 at 15:55
I'm on my 3rd pair of Mizuno Wave Riders.  They're white with purple detail - the brand new colour apparently, which was pointed out to me last night by someone I know who works at a local running shop where I spend quite a bit of money and who were sponsoring my club's race which I was marshalling at.  I had to admit to her that I'd bought them somewhere else though.
10/07/2009 at 19:08

FoC - Just talking from personal experience, it takes me max. 2 weeks or so to get over the blisters (I'm talking until they're fully healed and the skin's back to normal - so you don't need plasters anymore) Any longer than that and I wouldn't even entertain the idea of trying a pair on.

Also, if you're just getting into running, I'd HIGHLY recommend going to get your gait analysed (if you're thinking of upping mileage/getting more serious about running). I learnt this the hard way, I've ran for 5 years and because I'd never been injured, I stupidly didn't bother. Then I got a bad injury and had to take 6-7 weeks off running and use a crutch for a while. It wasn't much fun, and even more annoyingly, it could have been avoided if I'd have had more knowledge on my form/gait.

Good luck!

10/07/2009 at 19:15

Ah, nothing major. Just put a plaster on it and sat about for 7 weeks.

10/07/2009 at 19:39

Yeah I know.

Better than breaking your leg though eh?

12/07/2009 at 11:13

Foc I am having a go at the helsinki marathon in 5 weeks . Probably should get my shoes really sooon as I think the recommendation is to have about 150 miles broken into shoes before you run a marathon in them. I have been using these since my first marathon in April .

Acutally , thank you for reminding me...I will be in dublin in a few days and there is a shop there that analyses gait. Brill. 

12/07/2009 at 11:36

I am on my third pair of Nikes. Originally I used Nike Pegasus and they fitted like slippers with no need to break them in. However, due to a period of self indulgent laziness I put on weight and I am currently running in Nike Vomero, 'for the heavier runner...' and they are superb.

I have hear a lot of good things about Asics, but I had a bad experience with them a few years back so I have been reluctant to retry them. In all fairness it was the idiot in JJB Sports who sold the wrong model to me, but it has stuck with me. But as people on this thread have said - if it works why change, so I'll stick with my Nikes.

12/07/2009 at 11:37
What was your bad experience WG?
12/07/2009 at 11:57
D2D - I was sold a pair for for over pronation that forced me to run on the outer edge of my foot and resulted in sore calf muscles and horrendous pains in my knees.
12/07/2009 at 12:11
this is something i was wondering about. Think my mizunos may be coming to the end of their life soon. cushioning doesn't look to bad but the lining is starting to tear. They took ages for me to get used to them, but now i am used to them i don'r know whether to try somethinng else or stick to what i know...
14/07/2009 at 16:37
I got Brooks ones yesterday. Paid €130 for them!! Smaller size than previous and I am going to have to go and buy thinner socks. But feel pretty ok after my first trial run. Going to hold onto my mizunos though for the longer runs for a while in case these dont work out.
14/07/2009 at 19:29

Winking - who sold you these? How did they measure your gait?

I may head to RunOxford this weekend. They've got proper treadmill/thermal imaging gait analysis, whereas I've only had 'run up and down the shop' analysis so far. Shocking for 5 years of running really.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.