Running supplements

Which food supplements do you take ?

13 messages
28/03/2005 at 21:22
Do you take any food supplements to improve performance or help with recovery ?
I'll start the ball rolling :-

Multivitamin (with Zinc) - to prevent colds,
Calcium - to strengthen bones,
Creatine - after heavy days helps muscle recovery.

Other than these, I eat plenty of fruit and veg - and snack on nuts for protein.
28/03/2005 at 21:35
I take 200mg of ferrous sulphate most days.

This has nothing to do with improving my running performance. It's because my haemoglobin was only just adequate for blood donation three times in succession and it saves me from having to have two jabs instead of one.

Running is an intrinsically pointless activity for someone of my standard and I wouldn't do it if I didn't think I was physiologically equipped to cope with it without taking supplements.
LOK
28/03/2005 at 23:04
take multivits with iron
and echincaea(for colds)

but not specifically for running
LOK
28/03/2005 at 23:18
I take multivitamins, L Carnitine, L Glutamine, Iron and whey protein.
29/03/2005 at 00:52
Dried fruit:
Dried mango, dried pineapple, dried apricots, dried pears.

The best "on the go" running food there is. I have found the pinapple and mango in Oxfam. It's Fairtrade stuff, it's organic, it's about 80% carbs with next to no fat, it tastes great and you can eat it easily on the run.

It beats all these power bars and squeeze gels into a cocked hat!
29/03/2005 at 08:57
General muliti-vit & min - doesn't noticeably help my running, but might be doing some good.

velociraptor wrote: Running is an intrinsically pointless activity for someone of my standard

Why so?
Duck Girl    pirate
29/03/2005 at 11:39
multi-vit & mineral (insurance - student 'diet'), extra calcium ('cos family osteoporosis). Malt loaf & soya milk would be my best running fuel, along with dark choc!
Also eat lots of fruit & veg - unavoidable really since i'm vegan (ethics originally, though i think it's helped my running).
DRT
29/03/2005 at 11:49
multivits with iron, echinacea, glucosamine, creatine, whey protein. Not all for running & not all the time.
29/03/2005 at 11:52
multi-vit with iron, if I remember.
Boo
29/03/2005 at 12:00
Multi vit, Co Enzyme 10 and veggie blend of Omega oils 3,6 and 9.
29/03/2005 at 12:14
lots, probably p1ss 90% of them straight out but what the hell.

Main things are a good multivit A-2-Z type.
Then add more vit e, cod liver oil (why wait until your joints hurt?) and glucosamine sulphate.

Anything else is a bonus.

For recovery drinks (longer than 2 hours)
L-Glutamine,whey protien, honey + soya milk

slimfast for longer than 1 hour
19/09/2012 at 10:59

As winter gets closer starting on my routine of Multi Vit + Iron (one a day), Zinc (one a day) and Vit D K3 (one a day), plus Omega 3.

Any recommendations on where to buy supplements from (Boots, Healthspan, NaturesBest?)

19/09/2012 at 11:07

Supermarket is probably your best bet, cheaper and it's all the same. Tesco do their own range, usually they're on buy two get one free.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.