running, swimming , body combat/ attack too much??

6 messages
24/02/2013 at 18:14

I run 3 to 4 times a week, two 6 milers one 4 miler and one LSR of 10-13 miles as I'm training for the Liverpool Half in 3 weeks. I also swim twice a week 1 mile each time. For the past 3 weeks I have also started doing Body Combat once a week and Body Attack also once a week, with one day a week as a rest day where I do nothing.

Do you think I'm doing too much. I've felt fine mostly if a little tired at times as to be expected. Is it ok to exerise 6 days a week sometimes doing a run then a swim in the same day or a run then a exercise class. Any thoughts please. Thanks.

24/02/2013 at 19:56
Not a problem if you have built up to that level of exercise gradually. Ensure that some of the sessions are easy - e.g an easy swim as a recovery session. Build in a taper period for your half so that you recover and feel fresh for the race
25/02/2013 at 16:59

yeah, you should be fine... i run 3/4 times, play water polo 1/2 times, squash once, cycle to work 2/3 days and go to the gym once...... i have found two things are vital: 1) sleep, 2) diet - get this right and you'll be just fine!

PG3
25/02/2013 at 23:01

It's fine but maybe taper it down the week of your race.  I'm marathon training and I also go to swim club once a week, body pump and cycle to work. It works for me.

cougie    pirate
26/02/2013 at 00:01
Only you can tell really. Some people do more and are fine - others need more rest.

Listen to your body and the tip about tapering for the half is a good idea.
27/02/2013 at 07:27

Thanks all! Thats what I thought listen to my own body, but people were saying I'm doing too much. I'll carry on and see how it goes as long as it doesn't affect my running.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.