running time

EARLY MORNING TROTS

4 messages
04/08/2002 at 19:24
I have been running for about ten years,not competative,two or three half marathons a year,I have done London twice but know because of work pressure the only time iget is 30/40 minutes before I go to work, about 5.45to 0630.Anyone have any training idea's how I can use this time to best advantage
04/08/2002 at 20:17
Hi John

If you can bear to run fast at that time of day, the best use of those short windows of opportunity would be to do some intervals or hill reps to improve your speed and lactate tolerance. Have a good-sized low glycaemic index supper at night and a swig of sports drink before your session. If you do two of these short, sharp sessions and one steady 30-40 minute run a week, you're well on the way...

BUT

Is there any way you can fit in a long run at another time in the week, perhaps at the weekend? If you are going to run marathons, or even halfs, as well as you possibly can, regular long runs are important.

Are there any times during the working day when you can sneak off for an hour and do some cross-training? Do you have the sort of workplace where you could stow a stationary cycle, or are you out on the road and able to sneak the odd unaccounted-for hour when you could go for a swim or even a brisk walk?

I admire you. At that time of day, I can't even stand upright.

Cheers, V-rap.
05/08/2002 at 20:15
V-rap,Thanks for the advice,and you are right it is a swine at that time in the AM but once I get going its great.I am trying to do a longer run at the weekend but have a wife and new Grandaughter to contend with
Cheers John
08/08/2004 at 13:15
Where have your eveningz gone ? -:Q)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.