Running times

6 messages
18/01/2008 at 15:09

Hi all

I have been running for almost a year now at my gym and have only just started road running. At they gym I used to cover 5km in roughly 26 minutes.

Now I am running on the road, I haven't as yet measured the distance I am covering but it feels about the same.

I have a few questions:

1. Do you run faster or slower on a treadmill, than on the road?

2. I am entering a 10k race in 6 weeks time. What kind of time should I expect, based upon my 5km time? I'd like to beat an hour if I can.

Jon

Ika
18/01/2008 at 15:19

Hi Jon,

I have always found running on a treadmill easier than on the road as the treadmill 'meets' you and takes up some of the effort. So you might find you are a bit slower when you start running on roads and even more slower if you take to off road running as this really deadens the pace.

As an inexperienced racer I had the same question. I ran 26 minutes for 5k years ago but expected to take over an hour for 10k  as I usually run a mile in just over 10 minutes. However, I usually run a lot longer than 10k and do it more slowly - 10k feels like a sprint !

My advice is a ) don't worry about it - enjoy the race and get a bit of experience in before you stress too much about your times b) latch on to someone who looks like they know what they are doing and use them to pace you and c ) run a bit  harder and faster than you do normally - it is a race after all.

Anyway, the upshot was that  I did my 10k in 54mins and 45 seconds and I was absolutely delighted. And its encouraged me to do more races - it wasn't half as scary as I thought.

Good luck

18/01/2008 at 15:21

Great reply - thanks.

I have to say I am really excited about doing the 10k although it is a race administered by my 5 year old daughter's school and she is already saying "are you going to win?".

Not sure she realises that her daddy is not best at everything!

18/01/2008 at 15:39

I too run faster on the tready than on the road, but there are people for whom it's the other way round.

You need to find out how far you are running, and you can do that on various websites. 

I use mapmyrun.com, on which you can draw your route, and it will tell you how far you are going. 

18/01/2008 at 15:41

Yep - looked at that recently thanks.

Also, Google Earth seems pretty good at that by using the "path" function.

18/01/2008 at 16:26

Hi Jon

There's a RW Race Time Calculator here which 'll give you a rough idea from the times you've got so far but to be honest I found the buzz of race day puts a rocket right where you need it and you'll knock spots off your estimate. Mapmyrun is ideal for planning your routes but remember to try not to increase your run time / run distance by more than 10% a week so you can adjust gradually .

As for winning ... that's not such a bad idea ... after all someones got to win it. (unless I'm in the same race then that'll be me )

Good Luck.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.