Running with a cold

Should or Should not

1 to 20 of 23 messages
18/09/2002 at 13:02
If it's a chest cold - absolutely not. Your lungs won't like you, you'll risk prolonging the symptoms and any excercise during this time won't actually be of any benefit anyway.

Head colds aren't a problem. Like you say, a sniffle can be run through.

Being a lazy so and so I use any cold as an excuse to hang my running shoes up for a few days.

If you are suffering right now Tim I hope you feel better soon.
18/09/2002 at 13:15
I agree with Scotty - if it's only snot your probably ok. If at all shaky/shivery or even sore throat then I wouldn't run.

Grollying with a cold can be really satisfying - as long as no-one gets inthe way! Without wanting to sound really disgusting, I discovered the benefits of blowing my nose on my t-shirt on my last long run (n.b. I didn't have a cold just normal running nose). Anyone else own up to doing this??
18/09/2002 at 13:23
Doobs,
Grollying (excellent expression).I could recall incidents of being hit by other runners' flying flobb !! Might save that for a Friday though as it's grossing me out again.

Having said that; I have been impressed by the ability of some runners to blast the contents of a nostrel with easy precision without missing a step...or their target.
18/09/2002 at 13:28
Tim,

I'm with you on the not spitting front. I'm sure that it's not just down to bad manners but maybe there is a reason why so many people need to spit and others don't (former chimney sweeps maybe ??).
18/09/2002 at 13:33
come on chaps, I'm trying to eat my lunch as I read this!
18/09/2002 at 13:40
Isn't this the same Jo who asked 'How to stretch buttocks'. Now there was an image I could have done without.
18/09/2002 at 17:08
Sorry - I'm for spitting. I've only discovered it recently but when you've got to that stage in the run where your saliva is all clogging up through dehydration it really helps. Swallowing just doesn't clear it as well. Perhaps I should drink more water..
18/09/2002 at 17:12
Got to say I'm with Doobs on this. I try my best to do it discretely, but I find gobbing it out is the only thing to do!

Hope you're all enjoying your smoothies out there...
18/09/2002 at 21:42
Yes Scotty it is, but don't you prefer buttocks to snot ??
19/09/2002 at 12:07
I've done 3 x 20 mile runs in the past 6 weeks and didn't feel the need on any run to either gob, flobb, hoich a loogie or indeed swallow a smoothie. Does this make me some sort of freak and should I be making more of an effort in the catarrh creation factory ? i.e. cheap fruit juice always leaves me throaty. hmmm

I read in RW, when I first started running last year, that you should spit regularly. This to me implied that everybody did it. There has to be some biological difference between us that do and them that don't. Discuss ???

Jo - yes I do prefer buttocks.
19/09/2002 at 12:09
Of course I meant : Us that don't and them that do. i.e. us being the good guys
WildWill    pirate
19/09/2002 at 12:15
I think I once read, that:

Blowing your nose when you have colds just makes the cold worst – it forces the mucus infected with nasty germs back into your sinuses where it can multiply and make your cold wost

So I’m a hack and spit person

Will
WildWill    pirate
19/09/2002 at 12:15
Altogether now

SNIFF – HACK & SPIT

:o)
19/09/2002 at 12:45
Urrgghhh!
19/09/2002 at 13:51
Is this a male thing or do females do it as well? I've noticed a few of the younger females having a spit but the more mature (and sensible) types don't seem to. where as most of the men seem to do it.
Physiological differences, or what?

I usually reckon if the cold is above the throat - run with it. Once it goes into the tonsils or down, take time off.
WildWill    pirate
19/09/2002 at 13:56
If my cold reaches my tonsils, I’m in serious trouble – some one whipped them out when I was a kid
19/09/2002 at 17:47
I'm female and spit - but don't know whether I count as mature at 30.
11/10/2002 at 14:18
Doobs, going by your picture I would say no !
11/10/2002 at 15:56
Right this a lighthearted comment Tim so please don't take offence ... but If I can run in the middle of chemo you can run with a cold (as long as you're not breathless when you start)... okay okay I admit it was only 10 mins but still, a cold shouldn't keep you down, just be sensible matey :o)
11/10/2002 at 15:58
Urm this was on my front page and so I asumed the cold was recent, having not read through it all (grin) sorry .... returning to your normal scheduled foruming ....
1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.