Running with a Dog

dog breed and size advice

21 to 40 of 47 messages
29/09/2012 at 19:56
My parents breed labs and the breed is quite intelligent - they wouldn't use them for sniffer dogs, guide dogs etc if they weren't. They are generally dependable and easy going (although all breeds have exceptions to the rule) and you tend to find the yellow and black labs are the more intelligent. The chocolate ones are the dopey ones (in my experience).

Working line labs are better suited to running than the show line ones, although my yellow show line will happily run for miles with me. I think it's a case of building them up slowly and carefully to ensure they have the fitness and endurance.

I currently have 3 labs and all of them stop at roads and wait for the command to continue, they will sit, lie down, etc at any distance on command. I have done a lot of clicker training with my dogs and have worked closely with some of the country's top clicker trainers and if a dog is taught how to use its brain early on and think for themselves to work out problems, breed plays a smaller role in intelligence. Obviously, some breeds are naturally more intelligent than others but they can all be taught.

One thing you may need to watch out for is them getting sore paws (any breed not just labs) if you do a lot of running on hard surfaces. You can get paw wax which does help and again building up the distance and speed gradually helps lots too.
29/09/2012 at 20:13

29/09/2012 at 21:50

Wiemeraner.....mine runs all day and probably all night given half a chance. It seems to think chasing sheep is beneath it, remembers routes that I haven't run for over a year (honestly!) The only things it cannot resist chasing are squirrels and deer but can't catch either! Will run up to 4 min/km pace; after a 20 mile run it will sleep for an hour or so and then want to go for another lap! Mine is now 12 years old and still expects to do a quick 10 miles before breakfast. Great dogs, almost too intelligent and need to be properly trained... Have also got a Yorkie that enjoys a good run as well, but at 15 years old she has to be left at home more often than not. Loved the comment about Greyhounds; they are the 100 metre sprinters of the dog world...built for speed not stamina.

30/09/2012 at 00:00

I run with my Collie/ English setter cross and he loves it. He's about 3 years old now and has no problems with either the pace or the distance. I've ran him up to about 15kms, but generally only at around 8min/mile pace (my max. not his !).

I'm deeply jealous of how well trained everybody else on this thread's dogs are. I wouldn't trust my dog to run without a lead as he gets very easily distracted and would probably chase anything that moved. I probably just need to spend more time training him as he seems fairly intelligent.

At least it's not as bad as a friend at work who told me he was running with his dog last weekend when an attractive women walking towards him distracted him. His dog ran in front of him, tripped him and he ended up on his back on the ground in front of her .... hahaha.

Probably serves him right. 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/09/2012 at 07:52

Feral, thank you, they were, but both of them have passed on - Oz on the left died in July aged 10 and Shani 5 years ago. I now have Nemo, 5, a black German Shepherd and Charly, 4 months, our 4th White Swiss Shepherd, haven't updated my avatar.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/gallery/nemo_8.jpg?width=350

30/09/2012 at 08:01

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/gallery/bild001_neg.nr.00.jpg?width=350

Charly vom Sonnengarten, born 15th May 2012

30/09/2012 at 08:07

KK, the colour. They are separate breeds, The Swiss shepherds are all pure white, white is a banned colour under the German Shepherd breed standard. For many years the Whites were discounted in Germany as mongrels even though they have been bred in a pure line for many generations. But now they are officially recognised by the FCI and classified in the "pastoral", i.e. herding class. The Swiss shepherds are in general softer in temperament than the DSH and thus make great family pets. But most are very good at learning - at 4 months Charly already does the sit, down, come, commands.

30/09/2012 at 08:25
KK, my chocolate lab has problems with his front paws and he gets sore pads. I have a pair of boots for him when they are sore so he can still come out on walks but doesn't make them worse. They do get a few looks but he gets on fine with them. And huskys wear them when they do long distances sled pulling.

The ones I got are these:
http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/dog-boots/ruffwear-bark-n-boots-grip-trex-2-set.html

I have tried a number of different dog boots over the years and these ones are by far the easiest to put on and adjust that I have found. I would recommend the socks that you can get for use with them as when running they can rub the dew claw area. He has come running with me in them and had no problems with them coming off. He generally stays home if I run though as he gets fed up after a while and will sit down and look in the direction of home til I get the hint. Lol.
30/09/2012 at 08:31

Shani used to have problems in the snow with ice building up between her pads. I got her some of the booties that our husky-racing friend uses, they are bright orange with velcro fastenings, work very well and look very fetching too.

30/09/2012 at 13:07

Dogs with boots on! I love it!

30/09/2012 at 16:50

Bionic Ironwolf, Oz and Shani, lovely names.. sorry they've passed on. Nemo & Charly are gorgeous, I've a soft spot for black sheps.. a white wouldn't be that colour for long where I live!

As for the ice building up in their pads, dogs can be prone to this if they have hairy pads, or sometimes it's the distance between the pads themselves. Salt on roads can make it worse too, so good to rinse & dry paws afterwards. You can trim the fur between if they're not too ticklish. 

RB, those boots look good

01/10/2012 at 12:15
kittenkat wrote (see)

Iw, what's the difference between a swiss and german shepherd?

I was expecting a joke!!

01/10/2012 at 13:02

An Englishman, an Irishman a swiss and german shepherd walk into a bar.........

Edited: 01/10/2012 at 13:02
12/10/2012 at 22:50
I always run with my dog - a German shorthaired pointer - gorgeous breed and fab running partner who will go at any pace you choose. (Although he will drink half my water bottle!) we have trained for a half marathon and now started for VLM although I probably will drop him off home halfway through as my long runs start getting longer!! Only problem is everyone always wants to say hello!
13/10/2012 at 20:21

I was a bit shocked today to find that after our 10 mile run yesterday, my dog has a patch of missing fur along his chest where the harness had been resting. It doesn't seem to bother him, but he keeps licking it.

I don't think I'll run him again until I buy him a new harness. By the way, there's a very good article in Trail Running magazine this week about running with dogs.

14/10/2012 at 12:12

I take Buckley the beagle-lab mix on short recovery runs (less than 2 miles at a gentle pace). He loves it, though he does suddenly sprint without warning.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/438130/gallery/p1010730.jpg?width=350

15/10/2012 at 16:48

Vizla / Weimaraner seem to make good distance running dogs.  Mine is a German Shepherd / Husky / Retriever cross and he is a bit too big and heavy for my normal 6min km pace, he starts eating grass and throwing up at about 10k.   Also cannot resist a squirrel so has to be on a lead for running because he can and does catch them, deadly clever rather than fast.  I use him for when I should be taking it easy, we can go and pootle for a couple of hours.

JPenno    pirate
15/10/2012 at 16:55

My dog (a Newfoundland) is useless at running BUT should be good at Swimming but most of the time wont go deeper than his chest!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/164855/gallery/barkley_2_2.jpg?width=350

15/10/2012 at 18:32
Barry Lee 4 wrote (see)

I take Buckley the beagle-lab mix on short recovery runs (less than 2 miles at a gentle pace). He loves it, though he does suddenly sprint without warning.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/438130/gallery/p1010730.jpg?width=350

Barry - what sort of harness is that ? Are you (and Buckley) happy with it ? Does anybody else have any recomendations ?

15/10/2012 at 19:47

Redjeep - it is a Trixie fleece lined harness. It is padded and seems really comfortable on him. We only moved to it from a normal nylon one because when he was a wriggling/kicking little pup, we couldn't get it on! Go to Pet Planet online - really good deals and far more selection than Pets at Home.

21 to 40 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.