Running with a Dog

dog breed and size advice

41 to 47 of 47 messages
15/10/2012 at 19:49
I have a choccie lab would run and swim all day if I let her.
15/10/2012 at 20:48

Thanks Barry. I'll take a look at them.

16/10/2012 at 16:24

I have two cocker spaniels who run with me every time I go.  I'm currently running up to 8-9 miles and they happily do this (although I'm running at about 9 min miles).  This amount of running does not exhaust them, they will still go mad round the garden when we get back!

I do run with them on leads, but they are not allowed to pull - they have to run to heel.  Yes, having them on lead does mean that I have to allow them the odd wee stop - but they aren't allowed to just stop whenever, its when I say so.

Mine are nearly 6 years and 2.5 years old and both have run regularly with me for over a year.  They are also brilliant family pets.  I will point out that they are Working Cocker Spaniels, not the show type, therefore they are bred to run all day flushing out game birds.

With any breed of dog, you need to do your research.  If it is going to be a family pet, then temperment has to be your first priority, does it require alot of grooming? (my spaniels need a fair bit).  With any breed, you need to spend the time training them (my youngest has not had enough training, hence can't be allowed off lead in open areas - my fault, not his) and the whole family need to agree on what is and isn't acceptable behaviour. Find a puppy obediance class and take them as soon as you possibly can.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/732029/gallery/harv_and_jake.jpg?width=350

Here's a pic of my boys taken a few weeks ago

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
16/10/2012 at 21:59

Endorsed wholeheartedly - I'm a firm believer in proper training classes for all breeds of dog. They are pack animals and happiest when they know the family hierarchy and where they rank. This is promoted during training to obey simple commands - you may find both your dog and you start to really enjoy working. And they learn that YOU are the pack alpha who is to be obeyed.

Edited: 16/10/2012 at 22:00
16/10/2012 at 22:20

Border Terrier owner here. My lad will easily run 20+ miles up hill and down dale and still want to go out later for another mooch!

They were originally bred to run with foxhounds and have immense stamina despite their little legs. Mine can happily keep up at 6:30 min/miling but he's happier off the lead at that pace than on it. 

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/256125/gallery/jasper_rw.jpg?width=350

09/02/2013 at 14:52

Hi

Working Cocker Spaniels, love to run mine is 4 and enjoys about a 4 mile run best at a good pace but on a slower run goes much further. But he'd do this every day even in the snow!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/386567/gallery/photo.jpg?width=350

10/02/2013 at 14:41

Springer spaniels !!!! I run with my sisters and she can do 10 miles no problem and then wants to go out again when we get back , one problem if she smells a rabbit she can disappear so has to go on lead near rabbit holes or i can spend a while looking for her but she loves to go out and goes wild when she sees the running shoes go on .

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.