running with a dog!!

running with a dog

1 to 20 of 77 messages
27/11/2003 at 10:52
Any advise / comments from anyone as I'm looking to get a dog and intend to take it running with me. Can anyone recommend any type of dog that happy to do 6-8 miles a day at around 6:30 pace and can you enter races with a dog? Any advise appreciated as I'd hate to get a dog that would just stop after 15 mins running!!!

Thanks
27/11/2003 at 10:56
Maybe I have got a lazy dog but that pace looks a bit quick for most dogs. My experience is that dogs prefer more of a plod or to run rapidly but in zig zags!
27/11/2003 at 10:59
Springer spaniels! loopy buggers i can quite happily do 9 miles and still they're as fresh as a daisy after. Plus they make great family dogs as well as working dogs etc...
27/11/2003 at 11:04
thanks Soop. Can Springers run at that pace? or do they keep falling over their ears? Someone else has mentioned Border Collies but they tend to eat teh house if you leave them alone allday. I take it that Springers are better behaved?
27/11/2003 at 11:04
Border Collies (sheep dogs) can run up to 80km a day. On farms at home they run like hell for 10 hrs and are still quite happy. In fact if you have one and you dont run with it they go slightly insane. BEWARE though they dont cope well with being left locked up in a back garden if no one is home. They need company
27/11/2003 at 11:20
my two (wirehaired pointers) will happily run along with me at 7 min/mile pace.
And no you can't run with dogs in races (well, very rarely)
27/11/2003 at 11:30
What you need is a Lars!! Every runner should have one but this is more like a big Austrian Ape rather than a dog!! He will happily run 6-8 miles a day but can waffle on for Germany and will tell you when you are not trying!!
27/11/2003 at 11:35
My two seem to cope ok. I run mainly off road so they are not on leads( when there is no livestock around) Half the time theyre too busy following a scent in the bushes but always catch up.

However mine are never at home alone for more than 2 hours and they come to work with me. Like all dogs they are pack animals so need company. Whilst puppies, most will chew whatever is to hand or paw!!!
27/11/2003 at 13:23
Lurchers - great running partners (well, mine was), could certainly outsprint me (not that that's difficult)and did well for endurance, and hounds will then just curl up at home for hours without wrecking the house (and v good with kids).

Use an extending lead so dog is under control but not under your feet - just make sure you both go the same side of trees etc.
27/11/2003 at 14:04
I gather there are loads in Essex - and can go that extra mile if need be!!!
27/11/2003 at 14:19
I read once that Rhodesian Ridgebacks make the best runners...

My lab likes it slow and steady and 5 miles maximum!
27/11/2003 at 14:25
of course, Dalmatians were bred to run alongside carriages for hours on end
27/11/2003 at 14:29
Just be sure to pick up the do-dos
27/11/2003 at 19:07
Mak says: "Rescue lab/collie crosses make good running dogs. I also live with Spice, a Springer Spaniel. She's a bit crazy and tends to disappear if she is off the lead. (I'm crazy too, I really am interested in car tyres). Thats why my human friend keeps me on a lead.

I do a few races, but I get permission from the organisers first. We always start at the back and carefully work our way up to the middle. We do rural races only.

My PB is 1:38 for a 1/2 and 44:00 for a 10k, but I think I could go quicker if I was off the lead!

The furthest I have ever run is 21 miles when HE was training for the FLM"
27/11/2003 at 19:14
ORCN

i met a rhodesian ridgeback once when out on a run. massive.
27/11/2003 at 19:53
Soop
how do you ensure your dogs dont bother other runners?
27/11/2003 at 20:34
A dog that is bonded to you isn't interested in other dogs/runners. Blott black lab happily does my 7M off road run at 6 30 pace. I don't, stick to 7- 7 30 pace max but he is much faster. wire-haired pointers run & run & run but would get bored left alone for much of the day. Go for a working springer they can run for days at < 5min/mile pace & happy to be outside in comfy kennel & run while you're at work
27/11/2003 at 20:36
yes but Sopps dogs runoff after smells

and presumably other runners
27/11/2003 at 20:40
No, they follow their noses after into the undergrowth after bunnies & squirrels etc. Straight past the sign that says "keep your dog on a lead to protect wildlife" Or at least Blott does. Just sniffing you understand, no harm to wildlife intended
27/11/2003 at 20:41
runnners just don't smell that good I'm afraid
1 to 20 of 77 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.