Running with Back Pack

11 messages
26/10/2007 at 11:38

Has anyone had the same problem I seem to be having. Recently started to run home from work with a nice new Asics back pack.  The pack is very comfy and doesn't feel particularly heavy but since doing this my right leg has been giving me a real pain!! The calf seems tight and I have pain over my foot.  Just wondering if it could be something to do with the back pack throwing me into a different running position as when I run without it, no problem and the leg doesn't hurt so much.  Anyone else had similar problems?

mudman    pirate
26/10/2007 at 11:50
Well last night I ran 9 miles with a water bottle belt, but used a different water bottle to the one the belt came with. I noticed the weight seemed off balance and after 9 miles had bad pains in my right leg, which I believe is due to having a good proportion of what would have been about 750g extra weight over the right hip. Having a full CamelPak weighing 1-1.5kg, but evenly distributed, causes no probs on 20 mile+ runs....
26/10/2007 at 12:52
I regularly run to work with a backpack.  I always make sure that the waist and chest straps are tight so that the back cannot move about on my back.  I try to keep the pack reasonably evenly balanced, with any heavier items at the bottom.  Never had any problems, and I have done 13 miles like this.
27/10/2007 at 16:31
i used to run with backpack from work to home and never had a problem - could our backpack running be coinciding with something else that might be triggering the pain? the route for instance? i know i get knee pain when i run only on the right hand side pavement due to the incline of the surface
27/10/2007 at 17:35
Thanks Guys for the input.  Went a small run this morning - minus backpack - and I noticed that it appears to pull on my calf going uphill.  As the way home from work involves an immediate uphill, have decided that maybe I should walk until I reach the top, then see how that goes.  Either way I won't give up my run home as I enjoy it. Meantime I think I might find a good Sports Therapist to see if there is possibly another cause as I wouldn't want to continue running and injure something even further.
mudman    pirate
28/10/2007 at 13:56
18 miles with full CamelPak today and no sign of the problems/pain I'd got the other day using a belt & water bottle. Agree with DundeeRunner about keeping the straps tight to limit movement of the load.
30/10/2007 at 14:07
Thanks again for that input - ran home last night and walked the first section which is a steep steep hill with the result I had no pain at all so was very chuffed.
05/11/2007 at 12:17
on a backpack note.....just wondered which back packs folk recommend for women? My bakc pack isnt right as the sholuder straps are too far apart and it chaffs like billy o.
05/11/2007 at 12:49
deuter do female-specific packs, you could try googling them?
05/11/2007 at 13:09
thanks, ill give it ago.
cougie    pirate
05/11/2007 at 15:46

You need to try the packs on for fit - like shoes.  Keep them as light as possible. I just leave shoes in work - and toiletries and stuff. And if you wear 2 or more tops - they rub on each other rather than you.

I'd go easy on the water too - no real need for lots of it in the british autumn.  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.