Running with glasses

1 to 20 of 40 messages
05/04/2009 at 16:41

Does anyone else have this problem with glasses or sunglasses, or is it just me?

Having done a couple of long runs, I am finding that my glasses wobble and slip, they end up rubbing on my nose, I get sore underneath them and sometimes spots too where they rub on nose/above eyes.  I also seem to spend half my life straightening them up

Did consider some vaseline or something to stop the rubbing - but then they would probably slip about more!  Have tried bending the arms to try and fit better, but it doesnt seem to help

Am I just odd?!

05/04/2009 at 16:43

Interesting, i'm considering purchasing a pair of sunglasses for use when running.

Maybe i should just continue to squint, i mean it is britain the sun aint going to be out that much

05/04/2009 at 16:51

Unfortunatly I cant see the road without glasses, of some sort!

Maybe the sports sunglasses are better at not slipping?

05/04/2009 at 16:53
Solution tends to be either sports (sun)glasses, which have bigger pads around nose so that they can deal with sweat better or one of those oh-so-fetching glorified elastic bands to effectively bind the glasses to your face.  The other solution (which I prefer) is contact lenses!
Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
05/04/2009 at 16:56

I have to say I've never had this problem, either with regular glasses or sunnies - other than just getting a bit sweaty around the old nose bridge.

Perhaps get a friendly local optician to check the fit of your specs? Otherwise, try a retainer band - never used one myself though, I have to say.

05/04/2009 at 16:56
I've run with, err, 3 different types of oakleys, and never had a problem. Maybe get some "sports" frames for your specs. If such a thing exists.
05/04/2009 at 17:36
I'd suggest that your glasses don't really fit - if they did they'd be much more stable. I'm fortunate that my current pair don't move at all because they fit so well around my ears, and they're photochromic as well so I don't need special sunglasses. If you do want proper running prescription glasses however then look at www.optilabs.com - they're much better quality than a lot of what the high street opticians offer, and cheaper too. I've used their prescription fishing glasses all over the world for years, and they're superb.
05/04/2009 at 18:13
I use daily disposable contact they are great,no worries about cleaning just chuck em awayThey are ideal for ocassional use
05/04/2009 at 19:56

Maybe I should get brave enough to try contacts....

sounds like I need to find time to get to an optician and get them wiggled with properly - and if that doesnt help resort to getting a band (used to have one for watersports) or finding some sport specific glasses

I never knew such a thing existed!

05/04/2009 at 19:56

I wear glasses and have never had a problem.

I would suggest your glasses don't fit correctly

05/04/2009 at 20:06

Mine dont move but they steam up in the cold and i cant see when its raining

05/04/2009 at 20:06

LOL I have that too Hipps!

They steam up when I get too hot too!

05/04/2009 at 20:19

I have two different pairs of prescription glasses - the newer ones are a tighter fit and less prone to moving about. The older ones fit, they're just a different shape.

I often wear a Buff headband thingy and then wear my glasses as normal - the Buff keeps them in place.

05/04/2009 at 20:35

Plodding Hippo- Me too!

Nothing like running blind in to a rain storm for adding a bit of danger I suppose...

Edited: 05/04/2009 at 20:42
05/04/2009 at 20:38
me too wrt daily dispoable lenses - i only really wear them for sports and have a prescription where they send my 10 pairs a month. my photochromic glasses have plastic frames so they do slip down my nose as they dont have a nose piece but my other glasses stay put just fine - perhaps you need the nose piece or the legs tightened up?
Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
05/04/2009 at 22:24

Hippo and Carly - me three!!

Can't wear contacts - eyes quite dry and I can't get the vision properly correct because (as an optician once described it) my "rugby balls are pointing in odd directions" (I have irregular astigmatism).

Solution: never run when it's raining! Sorted!

05/04/2009 at 22:27

Hmmm

Me thinks there is a market for glasses with windscreen wipers....

05/04/2009 at 22:28

yep

wouldnt run with contacts, cant get the sodds OUT of my eyes and it muight scrrew up a run

05/04/2009 at 22:30
I am just very squeamish about them, havent been brave enough to try!
05/04/2009 at 22:58

I only experience problems on offroad descents.

1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.