RW energy bar recipe

Can I leave out the butter?

1 to 20 of 62 messages
12/08/2004 at 08:38
I fancy making those apricot'n'porridge energy bars in this month's RW. The thing is though, the thought of using butter makes me nauseous. Could I get away with leaving it out? I just don't like butter or marge. If it's just there to bind stuff together, won't the honey be sufficient?
12/08/2004 at 10:18
The sign of a good cook is one willing to try things out. Why not make a batch without the butter and see how they turn out?

If nothing else, it'll probably make a good breakfast cereal if it just crumbles away :)
12/08/2004 at 10:27
I was pretty surprised to find butter--with all its saturated fat--in the recipe. I'd use a bit of soy spread instead and replace the honey with maple syrup. Or you could whisk ground flax seeds with cold water and use that (2 parts flax to 3 parts water). That makes a good binder/egg replacer and you get a good dose of omega 3s, too.
12/08/2004 at 12:56
Has anyone made these yet? How long do they last before they're off?

12/08/2004 at 13:50
a little bit of what you fancy does you good. we're all runners so a bit of butter wont do any harm! Processed soy products are bad for men as well (lower testosterone levels) so are best avoided. Lots of margerines contain trans fats (that don't need to be listed by UK regulations) so butter's the best bet out of the three.
12/08/2004 at 13:55
well said. couch potatoes should avoid saturated fats, but why runners? no problem there.

like ollie i'd avoid soya if you're a boy. two words: man boobs. two more: winky shrinkage.
12/08/2004 at 13:59
I don't eat dairy so if I add butter it will be the soya variety (will hide them from mr pp though for the above two reasons!!)
12/08/2004 at 14:02
'spose it depends on what you're gonna do with it.
JJ
12/08/2004 at 14:03
winky shrinkage or man boob?
12/08/2004 at 14:08
Preferably neither!!!!! ;o)
12/08/2004 at 14:12
As far as I know there is no concrete evidence that soy is bad for boys. Besides, what are vegetarian men supposed to do then? There are people out there who say soy is bad for women, too. But look at the traditional Japanese diet: soy, soy, soy for both sexes. Unless you are talking strictly processed food, which I agree should be avoided.
12/08/2004 at 14:18
Soy sauce=ok

Other soy foods have been shown to alter testosterone levels, so are strictly best avoided.

Veggie boys should eat meat and not be veggie boys! At leasts it's natural. There's no other way to get the protein you need unless you eat fish (not exactly veggie though, is it?) or millions of egg whites.
12/08/2004 at 14:20
winky shrinkage or man boob?
12/08/2004 at 14:26
Not at all true, Ollie! There are plenty of plant sources of protein and very many perfectly healthy veggie men around. Not least of all my husband :-)
12/08/2004 at 14:27
Oh, and before anyone asks, neither ;-)
12/08/2004 at 14:27
Ohhhh now you've started something, Ollie! You can find plenty of protein in the plant kingdom, all without the saturated fat and cholesterol that comes with animal foods. Horses run pretty darn fast and they get all their protein from the ground. I'm not into converting anyone to the veggie lifestyle; I'll just say there's plenty of info on the net to dispute the protein myth.
12/08/2004 at 14:28
Heh heh Ratcather, I like your style!
12/08/2004 at 14:29
Ratty you crack me up!!
12/08/2004 at 14:39
OK, I neglected pulses - they are a good source of protein...But: they also tend to contain a lot of carbohydrate, which not everyone wants all the time (especially those who are trying to lose fat).

Not eating meat because of saturated fat and cholestrol should be reserved for those with medical difficulties; it's not meat that's the problem but more likely high fat dairy products, chocolate, iced-cream that are associated with obesity in our society.

As runners we really don't need to worry about cholestrol due to meat. I only eat red meat once or twice a week, white meat two or three times a week and fish about three times a week. My cholestrol levels are very very low: I had them tested a while back when I needed to go on some prescription drugs. Meat can be part of a very healthy and well-balanced diet.

I have nothing but respect for vegetarians who choose not to eat meat because of their moral beliefs, provided they don't judge others by it. I try to buy organic meat whenever I can and I'm a student! Fortunately a new shop's opened in Bristol where I can get hold of wild produce that hasn't been farmed. Nothing sickens me more than the thought of thousands of chickens walking around in their own faeces, so weak that they can't lift their bodies off the ground so that their own acid burns their skin. That's why I always try to find the closest to "wild" meat that I can.

Also, horses have evolved as herbivores, whereas humans are omnivores and need protein on a more regular basis.

12/08/2004 at 14:46
Ollie, the healthiest diets are diets high in carbohydrate and runners especially need a good carb intake. Pulses are also excellent sources of fibre. People trying to lose fat SHOULD be having a high carbohydrate, low fat diet and pulses are perfect.

Even runners can have problems with high cholesterol, and often do. Lots of people are genetically more prone to high cholesterol and will have difficulty controlling it even on a perfectly healthy diet.

Veggies who aren't vegans can also get high quality protein from plenty of dairy sources.

Meat can be part of a balanced diet, as you say, but is by no means necessary.
1 to 20 of 62 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.