RW Recipe Club

Recipes and Cookery Thread

1 to 20 of 192 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/10/2004 at 11:49
Having been on the forums for a while I've noticed that more and more people are sharing recipes and general cookery hints and tips.

I thought it would be a good idea to form a "recipe dumping ground" as such so please try and restrain from using this thread for anything but recipes and comments on them like improvements etc.

Enjoy - here's a cake one from the training thread!

Thanks to "Fat but getting fit"

slimming world - False Chocie Cake

4oz couscous- add water and let it do what it does
2 eggs
3 tablespoons sweetener
1 options chocolate drink
3 teaspoons baking powder

Beat eggs with sweetener
Add couscous and dry options powder and baking powder
Add generous two tablespoons quark or very low fat fromage frais.
Beat until thoroughly mixed

Place in cake tin for about thirty minutes at 175 degrees.

This does not rise as much as I would like but then my sponges never so.
Then cover when cool with fake frosting-
1 tub quark or very low fat fromage frais mixed with 1 packet options any flavour
(I prefer quark because it is thicker add sweetener while mixing if preferred.)

It doesn't taste exactly like a sponge but it is chocolately, moist, frosted and totally healthy!!!!

Pixie
20/10/2004 at 11:50
Disgusting.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/10/2004 at 11:51
PP's Flapjacks ...

6oz margerine
2oz brown sugar (I think I will leave this out next time - they're sweet enough - like me!!)
5oz golden syrup
9oz rolled oats
(I also added 2oz currants and a handful of flaked almonds).

Put margerine, sugar and syrum in large saucepan till margerine is melted then add oats and currants etc till all mixed in. Place in greased baking tin and bake at gas mark 4 for 20-25 minutes.
20/10/2004 at 11:55

Another slice, Jon?
20/10/2004 at 11:56
This doesn't look very healthy...
WildWill    pirate
20/10/2004 at 11:56
Pretendy Ice Cream

Mix two portions of low-fat cottage cheese, two portions of frozen fruit, and some low cal sweetener (to taste) in your blender, and blend until creamy.

If you use nonfrozen fruit, you will have to freeze before eating
20/10/2004 at 11:59
WW - nice. That cake - nonononononono.
Will post Shortbread recipe here when I remember the values.
20/10/2004 at 12:30
My flap jacks are yummy - I have them for brekky every day!!
20/10/2004 at 12:43
I agree WW Icecream sounds delicious
20/10/2004 at 12:46
E.P - Totally healthy????

How many/much E numbers in that sweetener and Options powder?

Extra added means of losing weight is that all those artificial additives will probably make you hyper-active, leading to further slimming!
20/10/2004 at 12:48
Recipes for an apple -

Apple.
20/10/2004 at 12:52
LOL Jon!

Trouble with low fat "healthy options" is that they never quite hit the spot when you crave something sweet so you tend to eat more of it.

You're far better off having the real chocolate cake in the first place!
20/10/2004 at 12:58
2 (maybe 3) slices of bread, thickness according to taste, placed in toaster for approx 3-4 minutes until browned.

Whilst the bread is cooking, empty one tin of haricot beans mixed with tomato sauce, into a saucepan and heat.

Place hot beans onto cooked bread and serve.

Can add cheese, if wanting some more calcium in your diet...
21/10/2004 at 07:31
As promised - shortbread a la dave. Nutritionally, approx 150 cals per 30g square (I advise making this in 8lb batches although you will need to get one of those washing up basins, preferably new/very clean)
Also, I find it may take longer to cook than suggested. Just wait until it's firm in the middle.
Enjoy

Recipe is - - -
For 1lb. of shortbread.
5 oz butter, 3 oz Caster Sugar, 6 oz Plain Flour & 2 oz Corn Flour.
For 4 lb (large tray)
1 lb 4oz butter, 12 oz Caster sugar, 1 lb 8 oz Plain Flour & 8 oz Corn Flour.

Mix well all the dry ingredients.
'Just' melt the butter (in microwave - low 'heat')
Add to dry ingredients and 'rub' together with fingers until it is all the same consistency.
Place in 'buttered' flat tray (Baking tray) and press down till it is firm. Press down the edges till they are lower than the the rest of the mixture on the tray.
In to preheated oven at 325 deg.F (160 degC). Note that you might have to 'vary' the oven temperature because the indications / thermostats are not very accurate.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the top of the shortbread is lightly browned and the shortbread is firm and you cannot leave an impression on the top.
Remove from oven and 'slice' whilst hot. Dust the top with caster sugar and leave to cool.
Store in an airtight box.
21/10/2004 at 08:22
With pumpkin season upon us, try this....

1 large pumpkin, top sliced off and seeds scooped out

Fill with kidney beans, chopped zucchini,red and green peppers and 1 chopped tomato

Add salt, pepper and herbs

Pop the top back on and bake in med oven 45min

You can add some grated cheese in the last 5 min
The Evil Pixie    pirate
21/10/2004 at 08:27
never tried pumpkin - what's it like? sounds good
2T that sounds wicked shortbread!

Here is VoodooSmiles Soda Bread
Soda Bread and wop it in the oven?

1 lb of flour
1 tsp of bicard of soda
1 450ml carton of low-fat natural yoghurt
handful of dried rosemary and basil
handful of sunflower / pumpkin seeds if required.

Heat oven to about 200 degrees (sorry - don't do Gas!).

Sift flour and bicard of soda into large mixing bowl. Throw in herbs. Can also throw in sunflower/pumpkin seeds if desired. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and pour in the yoghurt.

Now this is the tricky bit. You sort of make a claw with your hand and dip it in the middle of the yoghurt and sort of swirl it around until all the flour and stuff is amalgamated. You might need to add a small amount of water but to give you an idea, it should be about Scone consistency.

Flour a board and wop the mixture onto the board and just fold over in a similar fashion to making scones.

Put onto a baking tray (preferably floured as well to stop loaf sticking!) and make into a round. Use a knife to mark a cross in the top (to let the fairies out!) and then wop in the oven for about 30 minutes.

Test after thirty mins by tapping bottom of bread - if it sounds hollow, it's done!

Oh and Wild Will's Cereal bars!

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
1/2 cup sugar substitute (based on a 1 for 1 swap with sugar)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold lowfat butter
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup apricot or peach jam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Combine flour, oats, sweetener, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is very fine in texture and begins to stick together slightly. Stir in water and vanilla until well blended.
Reserve 3/4 cup flour mixture. Press remaining mixture firmly and evenly onto bottom of lightly greased 8-inch square baking pan. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven 12 to 15 minutes or until mixture is lightly browned at edges.
Remove from oven and spread with jam. Sprinkle with reserved flour mixture, pressing gently into fruit. Bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until flour mixture is lightly browned on top. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 16 squares.

<can you tell I've been trying to collect them!>
21/10/2004 at 08:28
like the soda bread one

you need some savoury recipes

try looking for the broad bean thread some great and cheap ideas on there
21/10/2004 at 08:28
To impress the significant other in romantic autumn...
Tagliatelli carbonara.
Fry a finely chopped onion with knob of butter, then add little strips of bacon (bout 6 or 8 rashers, finely chopped). When the bacon is really crispy, add diced shitake mushrooms (large handful), a bit of wholegrain mustard (1tsp) and cream (1/2 to full carton). Meanwhile, cook some fresh tagliatelli (enough for 2) in water with 1 tsp olive oil added, then when the pasta is aldente, drain, then toss with the sauce and serve in warm bowls immediately.

Follow with strawberry cheesecake, eaten out of the wrapper with one spoon. Make sure you share. This is where I went wrong...
21/10/2004 at 08:35
Quick pasta sauce for the non-cooks (sorry hipps)

2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 jar pasta basic sauce
1/2 bag frozen mushrooms
1/2 bag frozen peppers
2 cans tuna

heat through whilst 450g pasta cooks - feeds 5.
21/10/2004 at 10:42
Cheese Straws

Recipe verbatim:

from http://ecep.usl.edu/cajun/par/10337.htm 26/12/97
From "A Cajun Family's Recipe Book" by Merlin P Bodin.

0.5 cup softened butter
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1.25 cups flour
half tspn salt
half tspn dry mustard
half tspn sage

Cream butter until soft in a blender or food processor. Add cheese & mix well. Sift flour, salt & mustard together. Crush sage. Add all ingredients. Form mixture into a dough using your hands. Roll onto a floured board until a quarter inch thick. Cut into 2 inch rectangles. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 12 minutes or until brown on edges. Cool on rack. Straws are crisp and break easily.

My notes:

Don't bother with mustard, sage or salt - use salted butter.
Blender? Ha! Use a wooden spoon.
350 F = 180 C approx

Measurements translate to:

Small quantity:
4 oz butter
8 oz cheese
6 oz flour

Medium quantity:
5 oz butter
10 oz cheese
7.5 oz flour

Large quantity:
9.33 oz butter
18.5 oz cheese
14 oz flour

Large quantity translated to grams:
264g butter
525g cheese
397g flour
(calculations checked 24/09/04)
1 to 20 of 192 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.