RW v Fetch June Running Challenge

1,061 to 1,080 of 2,158 messages
13/12/2012 at 19:05

Evening fellow team-mates

I managed to sneak in a mid-day 11.3 miles today - but will admit to being a wuss and wearing a long legged tight... In my defence though I was off-road and out on the hills for the entire run, so maybe it is just about defensible?

Team Fetch do seem to have started to close the gap a bit don't they - pesky blighters!

Hope DEot doesn't fall over and hurt himself in the dark...

14/12/2012 at 09:30

Ah YP I think that meets the criteria . BTW I did have a headtorch, but like yourself its proper out of town miles in the dark with just the stars and the moon otherwise  Though if we get snow, I'll ditch the headtorch.

A few miles at lunchtime for me, before lunch

I agree YP, despite a good presence in top ten fetch are still close, pesky blighters pack well in the midtable

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 09:33
14/12/2012 at 17:03

JD, have you run in yaktrax? I have a route which I would love to keep running on but can get slippy through the winter.

DEot, i too run out of town in the pitch black. My headtorch is a must.

YP, I don't own running tights or leggings but then i have more insulation on my legs than most people have on their head. I have to admit though, as i get older i am wrapping up a bit more. I'm definitely going soft! But in my defence i am from the South.

4.89 miles cleared today. Rain, mud, hills and lanes a foot deep in lovely orange water fresh from the fields.

14/12/2012 at 18:05
Slight deviation from the topic, but do any of you who run by the light of a headtorch also use a waist torch?

I've done a few night runs, either in deep snow and one on really very muddy slippy trails, where I ended up taking my head torch off my head and putting it around my waist, as I found this made a big difference to how clearly I could see where I was putting my feet.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a second head torch, and running with one on my head, and one attached to the bumbag I always run with when I'm running with the dog.

Any one else tried this?

Just Run - I don't own Yaktrax, but I do own some STABILicers, and they are amazing. Look them up, but I think they do a fab job of turning any of my trainers into a pair of studded trail shoes...

No running for me today
14/12/2012 at 19:32

JR- Yaktrax not arrived yet....

YP- I've got a petzl tikka plus headtorch and the beam on this is fine for seeing where I'm going.

8.xxm run tonight, just put my nose in front by a mile. Not for long I fear, 5k Parkrun planned for tomorrow. Looking forward to it because I haven't done one before (involves a 100m round trip!), but won't do much for team milage, I fear.... I'll see if I can add a few miles on

14/12/2012 at 21:13

hello

Yp - i frequently double headtorch it, but one of them is a bit rubbish and i use it more for being seen than seeing.

14/12/2012 at 21:23

Hi, not had the need for double-headtorching before, though people say the brighter the light the better it keeps you awake I believe. May be good for full night outings. I got an LED Lenser H7R this year, cracking piece of kit and not expensive either, adjustable field of light and very nice slide switch to control power output.

15/12/2012 at 08:34

YP, never thought of putting my headtorch there! I tend to get on ok with just the one but i suppose it depends where you're running and under what conditions. I will certainly try this approach though as I like to wear a cap when its raining and the two don't sit well together. Will also look up the STABILicers, thanks!

Not exactly silly o'clock but out at 7am this morning for a nice easy recovery run of 2 1/2 miles. Yesterdays run took it out of me a little due to the conditions but I feel much better now i've had a run.

Today 2.52

15/12/2012 at 08:37

Just noticed i'm off the bottom of the table too, now for a push to premier league survival!

15/12/2012 at 11:17

Well that was a disappointment! Aber parkrun turned out to be my worst 5k for AGES. Don't know if it was the fact that i haven't slept much for the last 2 nights, but I just couldn't get out of second gear.  I have had faster and longer tempo runs lately!!!! Oh well, a morning out.... 5k in 19.09

15/12/2012 at 20:36

8.97m for the day. Ooh it's close.

16/12/2012 at 12:40

Rare double for me yesterday (there and then back later), enjoyed outward leg so much that it got extended a bit

The streak runs are quite reflected on website stats aren't they? More runs fom FE, but longer runs from RW. Whis suggests to me that bothe ways work well enough for the avid runner to achieve good mileage.

16/12/2012 at 15:00

DE- well done

Well, went out TWICE today to try a long run. Gave up in the end cos feeling really rough and light-headed. Decided to skip it and return to base. Hopefully, better tomorrow.... 4.53m for the day....

16/12/2012 at 15:27

who snuck in whilst i was asleep and gave me lurgy! resting up feeling sorry for myself so will only be bare minimum today

get well soon jason! although i am glad i am not the only one have a forced reduction..

Euph - i would have to disagree..in my case i have done about 500 more miles this year than previous years and not all of that is short streak savers...but i like to be awkward

16/12/2012 at 16:17
Get well soon Jason and Clairster - hope it's just tiredness and nothing more serious...

8 and a bit for me yesterday (incl a Parkrun with my boy), followed by 17 lovely off-road miles this morning...

I think I'm going to increase my target for the month to 225, which would be my biggest month ever. This will be a bit of a stretch target, but if I can have another 50+ week next week I should be able to get there, as once I stop work for the holidays I can get a few extra miles in.
17/12/2012 at 11:56

I've just worked out that today is going to be a MOMENTOUS day...

I'm due to do a 4m recovery run today (will run it as part of my commute home), and I've just realised this will take me to 2012 miles for the year.. That means I'll have achieved the target of 2012 in 2012 I decided to set as my own personal "olympic" goal.

Woohoo

17/12/2012 at 14:00

Clairster and JD, get well soon, it says a lot for your persistance, toughness, etc... that you still managed to log more than a few miles yesterday!

Yes Clairster, I can see looking at your miles that you mix up some big weekend runs and pretty big midweek runs as well as "streak savers" (like that), which explains you riding high up there on the leaderboard - who says you can't have it all, and if somebody does why should we listen

YP!! Congratulations, so you'll be closer (or over) 2100 by end of year as your ending the year on a real high!

JR - Good to see you've made it off the bottom, now go hunt down some fetchies

We've just slipped behind, but its a really close one this month. I had intended to let my mileage slip months ago, but keep getting involved in this challenge. I'll keep pushing to reverse the trend of FE victories if everybody else will? Though if baby DE makes an early appearance the running will have to go on hold (and definately won't be in January challenge )

17/12/2012 at 14:16
Well done on the milestone, YP
DE- well done on hanging in there
Feeling better today after good night's sleep. Just as well - Day 1 of VLM plan starts today - with a double....
17/12/2012 at 20:36
6.5 nice and slow tonight, 11.88 for the day
18/12/2012 at 07:20
Clairster- see you haven't posted for yesterday - hope you're ok....
1,061 to 1,080 of 2,158 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.