RW v Fetch June Running Challenge

1,081 to 1,100 of 2,062 messages
10/12/2012 at 17:23

yep, more food = more fuel = less time = less watching crap TV

10/12/2012 at 18:23

10.63m for me today. Early days, but we're looking good, guys

11/12/2012 at 13:31

More running today, to work but extended my minimum possible distance of 2.3 to about 7.5m. Very enjoyable, on frosty and icey streets at the off (I've got quite good at running on this stuff over the years) then made it to the dock village and saw a great sunrise illuminating the new docks and old "ghost piers" before passing through town centre past all the people walking into work.

So therefore... as I know YP finds this detail important more fuelling. Banana, 2 clementines, coffee, brown toast and mini fruit pancakes felt like a good reload

11/12/2012 at 16:28

Thanks DE - you both know I was joking don't you?

I had a shocking run on Sunday (probably partly due to a lack of fuelling ironically), and ended up curtailing an 18m run and turning it into an 11m slow slog.  I think it was probably a combination of a busy week last week, a franctic Saturday with both kids' christmas fairs, then a crap night sleep on Saturday night followed by waking up at 4.45am.......... doesn't sound like a great prep for a long run does it?

However, did 11m this morning, and it was lovely - nice and crisp underfoot, and really enjoyable.,,,

My post-race re-fuel was a large tub of porridge, with raisins, honey and cinnamon... YUMM YUMM YUMMY....

11/12/2012 at 17:26

You did well to get that far under the circumstances on Sunday YP, good effort

porridge +++ mmmmm

11/12/2012 at 17:48

Finally pulled my finger out and got in a 5am easy 3 mile run. -4, so mild enough for shorts. Really enjoyed it, alarm set for another early one Thursday (or tomorrow if i can sneak out without waking the wife)

11/12/2012 at 21:02
YP - get the curry and chips in!
JR- well done on the chilly run!
No running for me today- up at 6 am, but sheet ice stopped me getting out. Work got in the way this evening until 7- everything frozen again! AAAAGGGGHHHH! Yaktrax bought and on the way!!!
12/12/2012 at 21:29
Slippery 10 done today. Watch out guys, they've woken up LET'S GO AND RUN, RUN, RUN!
13/12/2012 at 15:31

Nice one JR, like your thinking on the shorts, if your too cold for shorts your just running too slow or you've run too far and can't warm up any more! I only see long legged tight or ronhill type things as acceptable on the legs of Team RW to catch mud on if your on a muddy off-roader

Promise I'll run somewhere today JD, probably out and back on the unlit Hornsea Rail path in the dark

13/12/2012 at 19:05

Evening fellow team-mates

I managed to sneak in a mid-day 11.3 miles today - but will admit to being a wuss and wearing a long legged tight... In my defence though I was off-road and out on the hills for the entire run, so maybe it is just about defensible?

Team Fetch do seem to have started to close the gap a bit don't they - pesky blighters!

Hope DEot doesn't fall over and hurt himself in the dark...

14/12/2012 at 09:30

Ah YP I think that meets the criteria . BTW I did have a headtorch, but like yourself its proper out of town miles in the dark with just the stars and the moon otherwise  Though if we get snow, I'll ditch the headtorch.

A few miles at lunchtime for me, before lunch

I agree YP, despite a good presence in top ten fetch are still close, pesky blighters pack well in the midtable

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 09:33
14/12/2012 at 17:03

JD, have you run in yaktrax? I have a route which I would love to keep running on but can get slippy through the winter.

DEot, i too run out of town in the pitch black. My headtorch is a must.

YP, I don't own running tights or leggings but then i have more insulation on my legs than most people have on their head. I have to admit though, as i get older i am wrapping up a bit more. I'm definitely going soft! But in my defence i am from the South.

4.89 miles cleared today. Rain, mud, hills and lanes a foot deep in lovely orange water fresh from the fields.

14/12/2012 at 18:05
Slight deviation from the topic, but do any of you who run by the light of a headtorch also use a waist torch?

I've done a few night runs, either in deep snow and one on really very muddy slippy trails, where I ended up taking my head torch off my head and putting it around my waist, as I found this made a big difference to how clearly I could see where I was putting my feet.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a second head torch, and running with one on my head, and one attached to the bumbag I always run with when I'm running with the dog.

Any one else tried this?

Just Run - I don't own Yaktrax, but I do own some STABILicers, and they are amazing. Look them up, but I think they do a fab job of turning any of my trainers into a pair of studded trail shoes...

No running for me today
14/12/2012 at 19:32

JR- Yaktrax not arrived yet....

YP- I've got a petzl tikka plus headtorch and the beam on this is fine for seeing where I'm going.

8.xxm run tonight, just put my nose in front by a mile. Not for long I fear, 5k Parkrun planned for tomorrow. Looking forward to it because I haven't done one before (involves a 100m round trip!), but won't do much for team milage, I fear.... I'll see if I can add a few miles on

14/12/2012 at 21:13

hello

Yp - i frequently double headtorch it, but one of them is a bit rubbish and i use it more for being seen than seeing.

14/12/2012 at 21:23

Hi, not had the need for double-headtorching before, though people say the brighter the light the better it keeps you awake I believe. May be good for full night outings. I got an LED Lenser H7R this year, cracking piece of kit and not expensive either, adjustable field of light and very nice slide switch to control power output.

15/12/2012 at 08:34

YP, never thought of putting my headtorch there! I tend to get on ok with just the one but i suppose it depends where you're running and under what conditions. I will certainly try this approach though as I like to wear a cap when its raining and the two don't sit well together. Will also look up the STABILicers, thanks!

Not exactly silly o'clock but out at 7am this morning for a nice easy recovery run of 2 1/2 miles. Yesterdays run took it out of me a little due to the conditions but I feel much better now i've had a run.

Today 2.52

15/12/2012 at 08:37

Just noticed i'm off the bottom of the table too, now for a push to premier league survival!

15/12/2012 at 11:17

Well that was a disappointment! Aber parkrun turned out to be my worst 5k for AGES. Don't know if it was the fact that i haven't slept much for the last 2 nights, but I just couldn't get out of second gear.  I have had faster and longer tempo runs lately!!!! Oh well, a morning out.... 5k in 19.09

15/12/2012 at 20:36

8.97m for the day. Ooh it's close.

1,081 to 1,100 of 2,062 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.