RW v Fetch June Running Challenge

1,461 to 1,480 of 2,180 messages
26/04/2013 at 14:54

Good running Jason d. What's your target time later in the year, if you have one?

Nice easy 4 miles in glorious sunshine along the great western canal. Sub 10 minute miles all the way despite an apparent lack of effort on my part so definitely starting to feel a little fitter.

26/04/2013 at 15:14

JR- Target is sub 2.45 Chester in October

26/04/2013 at 22:00

Had a good day Jason. Finished 61st in 2:33:45 (6th V40)

Still annoyed that I dropped 50 seconds in last 2 miles after 24 consecutive sub 6 minute miles - Sooooo frustrating!

Had a week off and stuffed my face and slept a lot. Need to think about a plan now that delivers me to Frankfurt in 2:30 shape. Never believed that 2:30 was possible but taking 4.5 minutes off my PB has me thinking otherwise now. Just mulling over a training plan and what I might do different this time.

Supposed to running Edinburgh in 4 weeks as an elite entry but thinking that might be a bad idea now. Gonna look at transferring to the half maybe

26/04/2013 at 22:47

Excellent stuff, MCD

26/04/2013 at 22:49

Do you need to do different, or more of the same? Looking at your improvement... .

27/04/2013 at 08:40

I went to a talk with Peter Elliot and Roger Black at EIS and I think I need to focus on the minutiae of what I do. Unfortunately that means things like diet and rest and making the 22 hours/day where I don't train geared towards the 2 hours that I do. If I'm totally honest I still go out and run too much at 6:30-6:45 pace because I'm not focused, comitted or fresh enough to do something different. Basically it's a case of total dedication to the 2:30 goal but with a wife and 3 kids (one at 18 months) it's not that simple. Oh and there's a full time job to hold down as well

In terms of training there are a few tweaks here and there that I'm planning. I'm going for a longer plan (20 weeks) with a slower build up to 90 mile weeks. First 4 weeks will be lots of easy paced high mileage (for me) and I want to be hitting 20 mile training runs from 12 weeks out and building the pace each week. I did a lot of core work and upper body weights this time around and found that my form held much better so I plan to continue and build on that and I want a minimum of 2 interval sessions each week. 

When I look back to 2007 and my first 10k (45:16) having dropped a stone down to 12st - I have to wonder where all this came from. It's mental!

27/04/2013 at 10:24

Great stuff. I started using a medicine ball to improve my core this year and found it has made a big difference to being able to hold form late on. I think that I am going to run 1 tempo run and 1 interval session this year with a weekly parkrun thrown in

28/04/2013 at 07:59

I assume you mean 1 per week and not just 1 interval session and 1 tempo run this year?

I love Parkrun but found that racing every week can bring too much pressure and a bad race can cause you to rethink your plan. I like to stay away until I feel I'm in good nick and then start racing them 6 weeks out from target race day. Having said that I also use them as a sharp effort at the end of or in the middle of a longer effort. So its 5 miles out, Parkrun, 5 miles back - that works quite well.

Managed to make 4th place on the Marathon Talk podium this week

28/04/2013 at 10:22

MC Dave- lol, yes once per week! As for Parkrun, I like to use them as a tempo effort and race them about once a month/ 6 weeks. Well done on 4th place!

I am heading the M45s on Run Britain for the marathon! Won't last long, lol!

30/04/2013 at 16:40

Wow! After several days of CBA's I managed the gym this morning followed by what should have been a pleasant 10 miler around Cardiff and over the barrage to Penarth. Knocked out 10 miles at 6:05 pace - I have never run at that pace in training before!

30/04/2013 at 21:17

Finished the month with 2 rest days

01/05/2013 at 06:25

Sub 2:45......the very best of British to you Jason d

FAILURE......

I think I will update my name to the above for this month as punishment. Due to various commitments I missed Sundays run, and due to Chelsea's FA Youth Cup Final appearance Monday I missed that run too. NOT impressed with myself. Realising running 9 miles last night was a silly idea I missed last night too, got an early night and was up at 5am this morning for the first run of May. 4.45 miles done and there will be no excuses this month. 50 miles will be ticked off.

Month - 4.45

01/05/2013 at 11:36

Don't be too hard on yourself JR. My April mileage was well down on what I'd hoped for as family plans meant skipping the long event I had planned near end of month. Life just gets in the way sometimes.

However, I have some good runs planned for this month, may be the biggest month I do all year if all goes to plan

05/05/2013 at 13:27

Thanks D.E.o.t. , will forget April and crack on with May. I'm off to a flyer, in the top ten of the challenge and have completed 3 runs totalling 13.5 miles so well on course at the moment. Nice easy 6 miles this morning around the lanes. Got a Saturday off in a few weeks so going to run my local (Killerton) park run and once I've confirmed child minding with parents a July/August 10k will keep me motivated.

May - 13.57

07/05/2013 at 13:08

Good going JR, keep at it, the 5 and 10k are good motivators as you get out what you put in for those short races - more miles whilst maintaining some quality speed/rep sessions has always given me better results.

A flyer for me too, I reckon must be a fair few April marathoners taking it easy out there right now as I held top spot till a fetchie did a double-mara A nice 34+m LSR at weekend before the weather got warm (it literally hotted up in last hour of my run), made the distance rolling up and down wolds hills that bit easier. Hopefully taking the momentum into this week with doubles before beginning my event taper towards this weekend.

13/05/2013 at 21:38

Time to start slowly building again for me

16/05/2013 at 09:43

Climbing up the league  

16/05/2013 at 17:11

Same here Jason. had a bit of a stomach bug last week and my first blank week since I started about 7 years ago

Really struggled after the buzz following VLM but starting to find my feet again (literally) Have pulled out of Edinnburgh next week as I think another marathon will leave me jaded for another few weeks and will eat in to my Frankfurt build up. Not only that I am nowhere near mentally prepared for it and have nothing to gain from it.

Hope to get some good base stuff in June and July then light it up in August and September

16/05/2013 at 20:06

MC Dave- wise move I reckon. I always feel a bit flat for 4 weeks or so after a good marathon effort. I ran a crap 10k on Sunday- but looking back I ran the same race last year in the same time- again after London! Plan for me is to start building base now, launching into an 18 week schedule for chester early next month. Other major event is Lake Vyrnwy half in September. Apart from that, I will pick and choose some local low key 5/10ks as a bit of speedwork 

2 runs today for 13.62 

16/05/2013 at 20:38

Its a familiar story Jason.

I'm hoping to go well at Cardiff in September in the half although I'm still undecided about the £30 entrance fee!

1,461 to 1,480 of 2,180 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.