Sadly departed races

21 to 40 of 51 messages
18/09/2013 at 13:06
literatin wrote (see)
Kerry RW wrote (see)

Funnily enough I'm working on a piece about the strictures of putting on smaller races in this age of 'racing as big business' and obstacles and what not.

Oh good, let me know when it comes out and I'll buy the mag. 

Sure you will!

18/09/2013 at 15:16

You wanted more info on the Hogs Back Race. Well it is now held on a very different course, it used to be run along one carriageway of the A31 Hogs Back near Guildford.

Now in its 52nd year, but starts and finishes at Loseley House and does not use the A31 at all. The original was the best as it had a gradual incline on the out/back and was a totally unique distance of around 9 miles, but the huge increase in traffic led to its end. Guildford and Godalming AC organise the current one they may have more info on the original.

19/09/2013 at 09:57

Summer Tanners hosted by LDWA but very welcoming to runners. There used to be at least a 20 and a 30 mile option and I think there was also a 'family' fun' walk of 10

LDWA - wonderful example of 'big society' and what it can do. Complete opposite of all those 10k races charging over £20.....

19/09/2013 at 11:00

Poole Marathon - I ran it in 1993 - every finisher had a Poole Pottery plate for finishing!

19/09/2013 at 11:32

Derby Ramathon.

19/09/2013 at 12:10

Tatsfield 5 - an evil course if (like me) you like a flat run 

19/09/2013 at 15:08

Sandwell Marathon back in the 80s starting and finishing in Sandwell Valley.

Tipton 10

Wombourne Half Marathon (recently brought back for 1 edition a couple of years back)

19/09/2013 at 21:51

Selby Half Marathon. This was a cracking race - pancake flat but for a short incline over a railway bridge - and with great PB potential. And a one-lapper too which is always good.

I think the police refused to close certain roads which led to its demise though they may have tried it as a two-smaller-laps course before it fully died.

19/09/2013 at 21:59

Aston 10K ( near Rotherham and Sheffield), this was along the main road from Aston to Rotherham and probably the reason why it is no longer run, quite dangerous really running on national speed limit road, no pavement either

20/09/2013 at 09:30

Potteries Marathon. A plate with a picture of Stanley Matthews on it was awarded to all finishers. It was also a very challenging course.

21/09/2013 at 21:36

I did both the potteries and the several runnings of the reinstated polytechnic marathon. Both were classic.  The last in particular deserves an article. It is mentioned several times in ron hills books, and was one of the first.  It was a classic windsor to chiswick along the thames towpath in part. Chris brasher used to wave from his front door as it went past. The sporting life trophy also made it unusual. It was last organised by a guy called ian ridpath, who may be contactable even now. The demise I believe was police problems related to busy road crossings near Hampton court. 

22/09/2013 at 14:17

The Bampton 10k. 

My first ever race, I was last and received a huge basket of fruit. Went back the following year (and once more the final year it ran) and got two sub 60 10ks. It was hilly and tough going as it seemed to be the hottest day of the year each time (June). Organised by a local legend, Ian Buchanan, rasing money for a fantastic and personal cause of his, BIBIC. 

Unfortunately, due to ever growing red tape and endless health and safety plus costs etc forced it to end and be missed by anyone who ever did it.

Monique    pirate
24/09/2013 at 09:03

I never got to do London to Brighton or Meltham Maniac Mile and it's counterpart Meltham Murder Mile . One was a mile downhill the other the reverse. I just never got round to entering before they disappeared. Just finished the Ghost Runner and lots of no longer with us races are mentioned in it.

Monique    pirate
24/09/2013 at 09:04

Would love to see a return of Lake Vrnwy marathon.

24/09/2013 at 12:06

See I knew you guys would come up trumps. Thanks - keep em coming. Although Just Run, if this is the one you're talking about it seems it's still going?

http://tiverton-harriers.co.uk/

26/09/2013 at 16:41

Got to agree with Terence Earney - The POTTERIES MARATHON. Always a debate which was harder between this & Snowdonia. The locals added to the event for runners. Sadly missed event.

On a more local scale to me personally th Quicksand 15 (Margate) & the Cliffe Woods 10k have sadly passed away

27/09/2013 at 07:55

I used to enjoy the Woodhall Spa half marathon in Lincolnshire.

27/09/2013 at 13:49

I last did the Potteries Marathon in 1999. Not too many years later someone (or body of people) decided Stoke on Trent was the dullest place in England to live. These people had obviously not run the Potteries Marathon and enjoyed the level of support & encouragement from the locals that I and many other runners experienced. Dullest place in England? My a*se!

27/09/2013 at 21:02

Midhurst 10K   now replaced with the Petworth Park 10K - more picturesque but not the same!

28/09/2013 at 15:18

What was the Flora Light Challenge for ladies - the 5k in Hyde Park - I ran it in 2001 and 2010.  It didn't take place last year because of the Olympics but appears to have been allowed to die a death.  It was a good starting point for many ladies and was my first-ever race.

21 to 40 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.