Sadly departed races

1 to 20 of 51 messages
17/09/2013 at 12:32

Denizens of the forum,

A couple of months back we put up this thread http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/long-standing-races/250447.html about long standing races. I know most of you no longer buy the mag, but if any of you DID buy the October 20th anniversary issue you may have seen in the race section a piece about the defunct Morpeth to Newcastle run. that was thanks to forumite Roball in the above thread - I hadn't even heard of the race.

Anyhoo that piece seems to have been popular so I'm looking to try and find some other races that are no longer with us, that are missed. So far we've got

Coventry marathon

Polytechnic marathon

Potteries marathon

Salisbury Plain 15

Since you guys have got a wealth of knowledge about this stuff, does anyone know of any more?

17/09/2013 at 12:36

Glasgow Marathon.

17/09/2013 at 12:57

Rutland Mini Marathon (was aboout 16.5 miles and run as a warm up race for The London)

17/09/2013 at 14:12

round my way the Klix 6 in Basingstoke and the Camberley half marathon have ceased to be.
And back in the day where I used to live was the Rainham (Kent) half marathon and the Hempstead half marathon

17/09/2013 at 14:44

Southampton Marathon

Portsmouth Half Marathon

Fareham 10 mile

17/09/2013 at 15:21

Epsom and Ewell Half Marathon

Hogs Back Race, when it was held on the Hogs back (A31)

17/09/2013 at 15:32

Icknield Way Half Marathon (Chinnor, Oxon)

Great Sam Half Marathon (Bracknell, Berks)

17/09/2013 at 16:29

Some great ones there.

I am working with Kerry on this piece for RW. Would love to hear more about the Hogs Back Race Steady CJ? Anyone else out there know anymore oaubt the short-lived Wortihng Marathon or Hereford Marathon? ANd any others when maybe a few elites of the day took part or even the odd celebrity. The more the merrier!

17/09/2013 at 18:23

The fact that the London Brighton Road Race, an event f international reputation, was allowed to disappear, should leave us thoroughly ashamed as a running nation. 

17/09/2013 at 18:26

I know most of you no longer buy the mag, but if any of you DID buy the October 20th

This a stark admission ^^^^^ 

Poole Marathon sadly missed replaced by the Bournemouth marathon which is the same people who run Edinburgh

Badbury Rings 10k replaced by an event run by VO2

Both of which are really expensive

17/09/2013 at 20:37

Harrow Half, Hillingdon Half

seren nos yn canu    pirate
17/09/2013 at 20:42

Islwyn half

17/09/2013 at 20:44

This is probably not quite what you had in mind, but one of the races in the Nottinghamshire summer road racing league had to be cancelled this year due to a change in the way the license was awarded and the cost of road closures. It looks like another of the races might go the same way next year (and there were only 5 to start with!). I would be quite interested in reading something about the difficulties facing organisers of small races like these ones and possible solutions.

17/09/2013 at 21:42

Which race is under threat next year, Lit?

18/09/2013 at 02:41

The National Cross Country Championship when it was run over the traditional 9 miles.....Happily the Southern Counties is still a true event.

Also miss the Salisbury Plain 15+

The Basingstoke Klix 10k where I set my PB

The 3 lap Reading 10 miles where I was almost lapped by Bernie Ford.

& finally RIP the London Marathon....... when the best of the Brits could mix it with the rest of the world, now a Charity fund raiser.

18/09/2013 at 10:34
literatin wrote (see)

This is probably not quite what you had in mind, but one of the races in the Nottinghamshire summer road racing league had to be cancelled this year due to a change in the way the license was awarded and the cost of road closures. It looks like another of the races might go the same way next year (and there were only 5 to start with!). I would be quite interested in reading something about the difficulties facing organisers of small races like these ones and possible solutions.

Funnily enough I'm working on a piece about the strictures of putting on smaller races in this age of 'racing as big business' and obstacles and what not.

18/09/2013 at 10:43

The what not is clubs and small associtions and charities are getting squeezed and race are disappearing

18/09/2013 at 10:44

Dr Rob from Trionium offers this advice on putting on a smaller race: http://www.trionium.com/organise-a-race.html

18/09/2013 at 10:45
Kerry RW wrote (see)

Funnily enough I'm working on a piece about the strictures of putting on smaller races in this age of 'racing as big business' and obstacles and what not.

Oh good, let me know when it comes out and I'll buy the mag. 

18/09/2013 at 12:40

Havering Half marathon

Dagenham Town Show Half Marathon.

+ one for THE National, should always be 9 miles - I think they changed it to mirror the world cross, but as they had a separate trial for that the National should have been left well alone.

1 to 20 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.