Scottish Runners

201 to 220 of 33,306 messages
15/02/2003 at 16:15
Then being more rational, what if it is just that I am way too slow... and my speed training is in fact just my usual plod... and the machines really aren't to blame.
Ahh well ... I'll try again this week, it can only get better ......
15/02/2003 at 18:17
Daisy Duke

No, I blame the machines. I got very disheartened in mt local gym pounding away on the treadmill for what seemed like hours only to discover I'd only run a couple of km. I also think treadmill running is a good deal harder than outside running (especially when the gym has the temperature turned up to 20C).
15/02/2003 at 20:45
You must be going to the Galleon too then ... I feel like I cant breath and struggle like hell ... this is not true of outdoors ....where at the moment I just freeze ..
I decided to go out on the bike (friday) I was frozen .. not just cold... that is easy ... 1 hour and hot bath later ears ands toes .. still numb !!!
CC
16/02/2003 at 14:42
Daisy Duke,
I agree with you and greyhound, I find it hard to run on a treadmill. I have been doing quite a bit of it over the winter, and find after about 30 mins I start to overheat and it becomes a real struggle to maintain any sort of pace. What always amazes me is how many people seem to exercise in the gym wrapped up in several layers! I suppose it says something about their workrate.

At the moment the weather outside on the east coast (Dundee) is great for running. Went for my long run yesterday morning with my running partner, and it was superb, cold, but no wind.
16/02/2003 at 17:04
I'm so relieved to see the above comments on treadmills. Never mind the advice to "incline the treadmill to +1% to mimic running outside", I prefer "incline treadmill to -5%" to make it bearable. And I'm amazed at the number of people who put on more layers of clothing to exercise.

Unfortunately the wind in the east is now getting up a bit but I'll still be heading out rather than onto the dreaded treadmill.
16/02/2003 at 17:51
What's the problem with the treadmill? if you have the choice it is usually better out in the fresh air but they do have their uses. Good for intervals, accurate measurement of distance and time, if the weather is bad or you have to use them they are good for the concentration, running on one for more than 30 mins and up to 1 1/2 hrs does the concentration the world of good (mind you it helps if you have good music/t.v./attractive women in the gym too.

Stop the anti-treadmill thing, they can be your friend too.
16/02/2003 at 17:52
Never mind the 1%, go for 2 or 3% instead.
16/02/2003 at 18:21
Anyone else do the Grangemouth 10K today? KG how did you get on?
Sorry to brag but i managed 41.59 by my watch. Thats a new PB by over 2 minutes.
I'm shattered now though.
Hopefully i can break the 40 minute barrier at one of the polaroid races in the summer.
CC
16/02/2003 at 18:39
Sarcy, I am not against treadmills, I use them a lot and they have a lot going for them as you say. The problem is that the gym is generaly too hot, which makes it difficult to get the best out of them. My gym also has a one hour limit on the machines.
16/02/2003 at 18:44
To Matthew, well done on getting a PB. Did the Lossiemouth Half and also go a PB. Get day for running.

I only use treadmills when necessary, prefer to run out doors but use the treadmill on snowy days and on my gym days.
CC
16/02/2003 at 18:58
Matthew, Jane, Well done to both of you getting PB's
16/02/2003 at 18:59
Well done Jane

Maybe see you at Inverness next month for the 1/2 marathon?
kg
16/02/2003 at 19:15
matthew
it was cold today at grangemouth i only managed 46min race although i felt i was running faster.maybe my 55min run yesterday didnt help but it certainly blew the cobwebs
away. not sure when my next race will be as
i have the BARCELONA MARATHON IN MARCH.
hope to see you later on.
17/02/2003 at 10:46
KG

It was pretty cold, didn't help running into the wind near the end either. I kicked about 3ks from the end, probably a mistake as by 9k's i was struggling and got passed by 5 - 10 people on the way in, maybe cost me 15 seconds or so.
Personally speaking, i wouldn't have run for 55 minutes on the day before.
I make it a rule not to run for 3 days before any race.
Do you have any idea when the results will be up on the web?
17/02/2003 at 15:33
Well done on the PB's folks at Grangemouth especially with the temperature being what it was and that last 1km back into a slight headwind didn't help either. I got round in 39.04 on my watch not a PB but still a good run by all accounts and to top it all the showers in the changing were cold as well.

As for running for 55 mins the day before, normally I wouldn't run the day before a race, but I took part in the Kings Buildings 5 mile race in Edinburgh on Saturday, finishing in 31.06. So i did feel it in my legs a wee bit on Sunday. Hopefully I'll have recovered in time for the CC Nationals next Saturday at Linnwood.
Anybody else doing them??

Cheers
Barry
17/02/2003 at 16:16
My training for Inverness is a pile of pooh at the moment. I just can't seem to string any number of runs together. It's getting to the stage where I am considering having to get up and running in the morning before work. Totally unheard of for me to do anything more energetic than showering before work.

However, I'm off to a workshop in Finland at the end of the week, and have arranged with one of my colleagues that we both take our running shoes, and go out for a few miles while we are there, and I've also found out that the hotel we are staying in has a gym and a pool. Hopefully that'll give me the kick up the bum I need.

It was actually warmer there (Rovaniemi - right on the arctic circle) than it was in Inverness on Saturday!
17/02/2003 at 21:23
Well folks if it's cold just run faster!! You'll soon heat up.
I'm only saying that 'cos my running's curtailed at the mo.Got ITBS & CAN'T SEEM TO GET RID OF IT. Can do around the hour then right knee seizes up.Had to break ice from a puddle on Sunday to rub on it!!
I'm still x/training, so not too much fitness will be lost.(That's the theory!)Awaiting app't with super physio, fingers crossed.
19/02/2003 at 13:08
Going out 15 miles today, the wind is very cold, and I'm desperatley looking for an excuse not to go ... but can't quite find one good enough, so numb legs, freezing fingers and runny nose (taking hanky) here I come.
Nessie, enjoy your wee trip, it sounds brilliant !!!
19/02/2003 at 21:44
Good on yer! Daisy Duke.
I've been cycling will try a wee run tomorrow.
20/02/2003 at 15:18
Hi
Has anyone run the Lochaber Marathon before? Is it as flat as they say and can you enter on the day? Cheers
201 to 220 of 33,306 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.