Scottish Runners

28,801 to 28,820 of 33,653 messages
17/08/2012 at 10:51

Yes, happy Anniversary weekend Alison

I am hoping that forecast is correct and that the rain clears by late afternoon so that i can have a relatively dry run after work.

17/08/2012 at 17:18

Evening all!

Not been on here for a while due to holidays.  Have had a quick read back, well done to all racers!

I got back last night from a week in Lanzarote to heavy rain!  Went to the gym to do my 7 miler today.  Managed a couple of runs on holiday, some sessions in the gym, RB ran every day but one!

Got the Bella 5k on Sudnay - anyone else?  Also going for a steady run at Glasgow parkrun tomorrow.

17/08/2012 at 19:11

Evening Kirsty

When does your school go back then ?

All the best for Sundays 5k

17/08/2012 at 19:51

Happy anniversay Alison, have a great weekend

Good luck Tri & Kirsty for Sunday.

FFB, thats interesting info re:fuelling for sensitive guts. My sis-in-law has been struggling to get anything down on her long runs. I might suggest the Isostar stuff to her. No doubt you've tried everything for your sleep (or lack of) but I've had some success with Valerian tincture.

Might venture out for a wee run tomorrow to test the head cold. Going stir-crazy

17/08/2012 at 22:05

I got the full range of sights of the Scottish summer on this evening's run. The Carnival is in town, the arena set up for the highland games, the local kids getting huckled by the polis for drinking, Nairn beach, great sunset over the Sutherland hills flanked by rainstorms over the Moray Firth, midges, a beautiful double rainbow.

parkrun event directing for me tomorrow then off to Aberdeen to meet up with 6 of the inlaws .

Happy anniversary Alison, and happy running in on what might be a fine weather day for us all.

18/08/2012 at 06:40

Morning

I'm just back from walking Geordie

Dreich with smiry rain. Will run later. as our washing basket is full to overflowing.

57.5; 'Enjoy' the inlaws...

Tri: Morinng and all the best for tomorrow.

18/08/2012 at 14:48

Afternoon all

Hot and muggy run for me this morning, at least missed the rain, 15.3m hills done in the end. Avoided Pollok Park cos apparently the 'coo show' is on today? I didnt realise until the last minute this morning, luckily saw it in free paper.

57.5 - Eeeeek!

Kirsty - welcome back.

Good luck all racers tommorrow.

I have loads of ebay things finishing today, so this evening will be spent packaging things up .

18/08/2012 at 16:20

welcome back Kirsty.

Pollok park was ok. The coo show was small and round in a small field at the back of the house near the stables.

I did 13.25 miles today. Had set out to do 15 but misjudged my route. Due to issues with sleep and energy I tried a run 12 mins walk 3 mins. Interesting. It certainly meant I kept a steady pace and my energy levels were OK. It did not seem to lose out much on the time either.

18/08/2012 at 17:22

Birkmyre - I go back on Monday - the kids on Tuesday!

Busy day of trying to get ready for school

18/08/2012 at 19:08

Kirsty: I can well imagine it being a busy Monday.

19/08/2012 at 07:45

Morning

Nice sunny warm Sunday mornig when out with Geordie not that long ago.

Rest day

All the best to those racing.

19/08/2012 at 15:18

Millions of cyclists + some runners/ canoeists/ rowers out along canal today...is this the good weather, or the effect of the olympics?

Did my 15km, bit warm, but very pleasant out.

Who's racing?

19/08/2012 at 16:01

Tricia - there was some bike ride going on from Loch Lomond to Glasgow today - signs have been out for a few weeks.

Did the Bella 5k - nice day for it - really warm and sunny, bit of a twisty course with a few wee inclines but pleased enough with my time of 22.45.

19/08/2012 at 17:12

Cycling for me today too , and definitely noticable a lot more people out cycling than I would usually see over my 'quiet back road' route it has to be said.

I suspect it was the Strathvern 50 either yesterday or today, lots of signs still out on the road. More people cycle that event than run it, it seems, but I don't think half the folk I saw out today were doing it, no numbers.

Managed to scare quite a few folk - coming up behind mtb's and hybrids puffing up the hills - 'Morning' - person jumps 3feet in air !! Oops!! And lots of people stopped in the middle of the road, some with very very expensive shiny new road bikes, tinkering with things that weren't working or mending punctures, some fiddling with GPS .....so yes I would say quite a lot of 'new cyclists' out and about exploring the lanes. Which is a good thing .

I had a very speedy ride today Woooo Hooooooo......!!!! I think all the running training is converting back to increased cycle power output - notice the difference mainly on my climbing, much faster cadence than I used to be able to maintain over distance - that must be from marathon running .

Sorry - bike geeks corner - errrr talking of which, where's Tri chick at?

19/08/2012 at 18:00

Thanks All for the belt tips, will give ebay a check for a nathan maybe and give that a try.  Probably hang on for a fortnight as birthday coming up and the Mrs is  likely to get me running related stuff (I'm easy to buy for at least). 

Just finished reading a great book "Can't Bike, Swim, Run" I think it was called by Andy Holgate.  Nice inspiration bout an ordinary, big boned, bloke who found a love for tri-athlon and ironman, bit beyond me but inspiring nonetheless! 

Anyone got any recomendations for decent books to do with running/sport etc?  Read the Murakami book "What I talk about when I talk about running" also excellent.

Just a shorter run earlier today for me, bout 7k but GPS played up so not too sure.  Hopefully go further in the week...

19/08/2012 at 19:31

evening

TP dont worry I survived today's Tri!!

Great wee race today out at Gourock. My 3rd Sprint Tri of the year!! 1 to go, but have the Ultra next week to tackle 1st. Think my swim was  a tad quicker again, bike MUCH better than the last 2 (mostly thanks to the weather and the lack of downhill) and run ok.. although stomach was a bit sore by then so probably could have gone better there if it hadnt been for that. No official times yet, they should be up tomorrow... and I forgot to start my watch (doh!) so all I know is I was about half an hour quicker overall than last week! Distances were slightly different though but I was definitely quicker in the bike. Bf came a VERY close second. (2 seconds in it or he would have won!!). So hard to know when you are racing with staggered starts though as you never know exactly how much you need to catch someone by to win!!. Still, to place in 2 tris in a week having never done so before is pretty good. 17mins approx for the run leg 

YT, have you read Oscar Pistorius's book? Very interesting. Takes you up to his selection for the S African Olympic Team.

Nice run Tricia and well done Kirsty on today at Bella. Would have done it if I hadnt had the tri.

Next stop Speyside next weekend... I'll start praying now then...

Oh actually might do the wee canal canter on Wednesday  as well. Seeing as its just up the road.. well, just up the canal anyway.

Hope everyone's had a good weekend.

19/08/2012 at 19:43

Well done Tri chick - and bf, of course . Oooh Speyside next week - exciting, try to get some rest in on Thursday and Friday won't you?

YT - I rarely have time to read books about sport - too busy doing it ! Nah, all my reading time usually goes on academic papers, by which time I cannot be arsed reading any more . I really should try to read more novels though .....last 'proper book' I read was Jeanette Winterstons autobiography, which I have to say was excellent, but OMG what a life she had as a kid, definitely triumph over adversity there . I like books that challenge ideas and make you think, rather than books where some ultra runner (or whoever) tells you how wonderful they are .

19/08/2012 at 20:42

Thanks for the Anniversary wishes. Had a great time in Crieff. Very hilly run yesterday; beautiful weather.

Well done TC. I've never forgotten to start my watch, but did fail to stop it at the end of the first St Andrews parkrun. Couldn't understand why it kept beeping on the drive home - realised after it was beeping every mile. Recorded 18 miles at about 4:30 mile pace - impressive! 

TP  -agree about JW's autobiography. Haven't read her other books though.

19/08/2012 at 21:58

TP, thanks.. think I forgot to start watch as it was such a sudden start. It was almost like the gun went off by mistake and I was 2nd in my lane to go, 5 secs later.

Well done on the hilly run too Alison.

Yeah Ill be training this week but I wont overdo it. Excited about Speyside as long as I dont get lost.Planning on dolphin spotting on the Sunday too at Chanonry Point Here's hoping the weather is nice.

Def have to read JW as well. I like thinking books too TP as you do but also like inspiring books that make me think I can challenge myself further. I need a boot up the proverbial for confidence and motivation from time to time. Now and again I like a wee easy chick-lit novel to make me laugh too.

Loved the winner's "Mo-bot" today as he crossed the line... kinda fun

Bed time now me thinks..

20/08/2012 at 05:56

Morning

5M Fartlek Hard. Warm, dry, no wind.

Morning Tri and well done at Gourock yesterday. Not a bad day for it.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.