Scottish Runners

28,801 to 28,820 of 33,402 messages
16/08/2012 at 17:35

Hello again. Will read back later, but I'm heading out for a run tonight...woo hoo!

16/08/2012 at 18:16

Just back in from 10 miles or so in sun/ rain/ heavy rain/ sun .............etc, etc. Cat seriously damp and disgruntled on my return. Am trying out new Gels - the same they give out at LN mara- clif shots, not sure.............perhaps the gut troubles are just co-incidence, may need to go back to an old tried and tested type, and ignore the freebies on the day.

Am in post - olympics CSI catch-up mode. I bet half the folk listenenig to the closing ceremoy were confused when they played the CSI theme!

Obviously, despite saying I find closing ceremeies depressing, I watched anyway, found it quite depressing except some good (old) music- Freddie and John Lennon both starring, despite being dead, queen, the who, and "bright side of life" were highlights, but what were the models, that VERY young boy band, and George Michael all about ?. Hate to think what the rest of the world thought of that!

16/08/2012 at 19:01

Just back from a short run. It's our wedding anniversary on Sunday, so we're off to Crieff Hydro tomorrow for 2 nights. YorkshireT - there are some good runs in and around Crieff - local club is Strathearn Harriers. I know they organise a 10k, mostly on trails - I haven't done it but my husband has.

Good luck to anyone racing at the weekend.

16/08/2012 at 21:10

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and ideas. 

Alison I had heard about the Crieff 10k route though not done it yet, does look good from what I see on the website.  Guess I could step up to the 1/2M route by Strathearn too, might be a few more weeks before I get to that level again.

Freefall Bunny, not sure what the Perth 10k route is, perhaps the one they used for the Kilt Run?  Certainly some decent routes to be had down the riverpaths on the Almond and Tay.  As for Heaven and Hell route, used to live in Scone so that was one of my faves when I was up there, excellent roads & views indeed.

Sue W, Like the Cateran Trail idea, might involve 2 cars though which could prove tricky...  Will look up Heart of Scotland, not familiar with that.

No "running" running tonight just football, though reckon I covered a few miles, though never dared wear GPS yet to check for fear of breakage and insults!  Got a nice run to work in the mornin' though which will set me up right.

Thanks again all for being so welcoming...

16/08/2012 at 21:54

Oh while I'm on and in an advice seeking mood and everyone seems so friendly.  Anyone got any recomendations for a decent running belt?  Just big enough for a mobile & keys etc.  Recently got an Adidas one http://www.rayworldsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=124

which loosens almost imediately after you've tightened it, just need something that will stay in its place and go down small enough for my waist, think a lot of these things are built for larger folk.  Also be good if there were options for putting bottles /gels on if need be.  Not trusting the online reviews at present as the one I got had 5/5 across the board!

17/08/2012 at 05:36

Morning from a very wet, but warm Erskine

TP: They'd put a safe walk to school route map on the school website.Saw this just befoe going to work at  7am yesterday

Morning Tri.

Alison: Enjoy Crief Hydro. We were there a few years ago. Nice place.

Edited: 17/08/2012 at 05:44
17/08/2012 at 05:44

Passed three Cuban athletes yesterday in Argylle Street in the centre of Glasgow.They'd official Cuban Olympic kit on. They looked like a coach and three discus, shot or 'heavy event athletes'

17/08/2012 at 07:09

Morning BM.

Track session and easy run to/from last night. Good session.

Night off tonight, off out for dinner with bf.

Good session planned tomorrow before tri on Sunday... weather not looking good though

17/08/2012 at 08:03

YT - I have a nathan neoprene belt which is good. Adjusts and stays put. I also have an adidas belt that has 3 small water bottles as well as a small pocket and it is also very adjustable and stays put, unlike your one.

Tricialitt - as I am sure you and everyone on the forum has heard ad nauseum I am prone to gut issues. I find the cliff shots OK but not great. Best ones for me are SIS, and recently discovered Torq. I actually really like the torq ones as the flavours are good and not too sickly. Also, I have been using an isotar energy drink that has been formulated for seisitive guts. It is called digest plus. That really seems to keep things settled. I drink some before an event and then also during.

My training plan for yesterdya did not go to plan. Ended up doing weights at 9.30 pm and a cycle at 10.15 pm  Then showered and sat for a while until about 11.30, went to bed, and then Tallulah thought it would be fun to bring in 2 mice in the early hours  That was the insomnia back with a vengeance

17/08/2012 at 10:10

Morning all

Monsoon season again ! I am building up to walking to the shops but its not looking inviting .

I have been sticking to the SIS orange isotonic gels as I seem to get on best with those. I've never tried Clif shots but they have been around for years in cycling - it seems logical to me that something developed for use on a bike is not necessarily going to convert easily to use when running, if that makes any sense - so I have avoided them during marathons etc.

Alison - happy anniversary for the weekend.

Tri chick - good luck for Sunday - think its meant to be boiling hot  (well in some places anyway!!).

YorkshireT - I use an SIS gel belt, elasticated with a small pouch at the back for phone etc - unfortunately it does not take a bottle, but its okay for runs where you want to travel light, or events where they have lots of water stations. Anything longer distance I use a backpack. I have just sold a nathan bottle belt on ebay that had been sitting in my cupboard for about three yrs - I couldnt tighten the belt enough so it bounced around lots.

YUK - once more into the rainy breach!!!!!

17/08/2012 at 10:51

Yes, happy Anniversary weekend Alison

I am hoping that forecast is correct and that the rain clears by late afternoon so that i can have a relatively dry run after work.

17/08/2012 at 17:18

Evening all!

Not been on here for a while due to holidays.  Have had a quick read back, well done to all racers!

I got back last night from a week in Lanzarote to heavy rain!  Went to the gym to do my 7 miler today.  Managed a couple of runs on holiday, some sessions in the gym, RB ran every day but one!

Got the Bella 5k on Sudnay - anyone else?  Also going for a steady run at Glasgow parkrun tomorrow.

17/08/2012 at 19:11

Evening Kirsty

When does your school go back then ?

All the best for Sundays 5k

17/08/2012 at 19:51

Happy anniversay Alison, have a great weekend

Good luck Tri & Kirsty for Sunday.

FFB, thats interesting info re:fuelling for sensitive guts. My sis-in-law has been struggling to get anything down on her long runs. I might suggest the Isostar stuff to her. No doubt you've tried everything for your sleep (or lack of) but I've had some success with Valerian tincture.

Might venture out for a wee run tomorrow to test the head cold. Going stir-crazy

17/08/2012 at 22:05

I got the full range of sights of the Scottish summer on this evening's run. The Carnival is in town, the arena set up for the highland games, the local kids getting huckled by the polis for drinking, Nairn beach, great sunset over the Sutherland hills flanked by rainstorms over the Moray Firth, midges, a beautiful double rainbow.

parkrun event directing for me tomorrow then off to Aberdeen to meet up with 6 of the inlaws .

Happy anniversary Alison, and happy running in on what might be a fine weather day for us all.

18/08/2012 at 06:40

Morning

I'm just back from walking Geordie

Dreich with smiry rain. Will run later. as our washing basket is full to overflowing.

57.5; 'Enjoy' the inlaws...

Tri: Morinng and all the best for tomorrow.

18/08/2012 at 14:48

Afternoon all

Hot and muggy run for me this morning, at least missed the rain, 15.3m hills done in the end. Avoided Pollok Park cos apparently the 'coo show' is on today? I didnt realise until the last minute this morning, luckily saw it in free paper.

57.5 - Eeeeek!

Kirsty - welcome back.

Good luck all racers tommorrow.

I have loads of ebay things finishing today, so this evening will be spent packaging things up .

18/08/2012 at 16:20

welcome back Kirsty.

Pollok park was ok. The coo show was small and round in a small field at the back of the house near the stables.

I did 13.25 miles today. Had set out to do 15 but misjudged my route. Due to issues with sleep and energy I tried a run 12 mins walk 3 mins. Interesting. It certainly meant I kept a steady pace and my energy levels were OK. It did not seem to lose out much on the time either.

18/08/2012 at 17:22

Birkmyre - I go back on Monday - the kids on Tuesday!

Busy day of trying to get ready for school

18/08/2012 at 19:08

Kirsty: I can well imagine it being a busy Monday.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.