Scottish Runners

28,981 to 29,000 of 31,027 messages
06/06/2013 at 09:28

Morning BM and everyone else!

Just back from a wee 5 miler... gorgeous out!!!! Got a bit of a groin strain (recurrent since I first did it years ago!) but seems ok when running, and worse when I stop! Weird...

Off for daily OW swim shortly... need to wait til the tide is in then maybe a cycle later. Also need to get last minute things for wedding on Friday (here) and other wedding on Saturday (in Berwick!!!). Bf's friends getting married Friday here and my cousin getting married Saturday... talk about timing!! Not to mention back to work on Monday!

Belated Happy Birthday FFB by the way.. sorry have been using phone mostly and find it difficult to keep looking back compared to a full screen!

Good luck TP and other racers/Dirty 30-ers!

CC, you need to have completed 2 of the Long hill races for Jura, think its within 2 years... but other than that you can enter. Looks too tough for me. I know I'd be fed up within half an hour with the idea of another ~6hrs+ of getting round. 

Bf not very well since yday... really hope it doesn't last ... missed the swim yday and his hill race last night and is still in bed.  He doesn't really like the heat either (what with the Irish blood and all!).

Have a good day everyone.

06/06/2013 at 09:30

oh and well done to youngest on BM!! Remember finishing school... I was gutted... such a geek!!

06/06/2013 at 11:15

Just looked at Saturday's forecast - we're going to get baked at Glen Elg

Sounds like suncream will be high priority

06/06/2013 at 12:44

oooh, I didn't realise I'd have company on Saturday

Just trying to sort out car situation - mine has died - again - and hubby needs one too for day with kids (in his opinion - I don't see why bus and bike won't do!!).

Back later - just about to run said dying car up to garage and hope for a miracle!!

Happy packing TP

Gorgeous and sunny - could get used to this, best not though!!

06/06/2013 at 13:38

Had a sweltering run this morning, 10m done, guess that will have to be my last long run, cos I am supposed to be tapering !

Last lot of washing about to go in! Got longs, shorts, t-shirts, thermals , long range forecast is too unreliable so want to have 'everything' just in case !

Good luck with the car situation Cragchick.

Get well soon UTC's bf. Enjoy the sea - bet its lovely .

06/06/2013 at 14:47

erm slightly choppy OW swim this morning.... Lovely temperature (with wetsuit I might add!) and definitely warmer than rest of week - or maybe I am acclimatizing.... but way more choppy and a bit disconcerting at times Good though, and good practice!! 

Bf feeling a bit better... although still has a temp so keeping the paracetamol on board as this appears to be helping. No problems with eating or anything.. just a temp, so feeling a bit rubbish

Nice tapering TP!

BM... erm I HATED PE at school... only because I was crap at sprinting and all they did other than athletics was team stuff... which I am monumentally rubbish at. Was always a dancer and into fitness just hated "sport" as it was always focussed on teams... and I was NOT happy always being the rubbish one

06/06/2013 at 15:04

UTC - with you on that one
... took me into my 50s to start enjoying running after experiences at school.
... ... Gym master with 3rd shoe in hand gathering up the tail enders
... ... memories of (failed) situps on 45° plank during circuit (humilation)
... ... playing rugby as a boy among men
... etc etc

(and was always detailed to delivering milk during (Irish) dance lessons at primary school - pre Thatcher)

06/06/2013 at 18:25

School running was not a great experience for me either. Took me until many years later to realise that I was actually quite good at the sport. Did enjoy revisiting the school cross country course recently now that the school is a derelict building site however.

Looking warm for my 10 miler Sunday. Suncream will be out.

06/06/2013 at 20:20

Another one who was useless at sport at school. No hand-eye coordination did not endear me to my fellow classmates and being cr*p at rounders and netball basically meant it was assumed you were useless at everything and not picked for any other kind of teams. I was actually OK at cross country and long jump, although I didn't cheat (cut corners) so of course I was never at front of pack!! Used to dread that whole team-picking thing where you just know you are last one and the whole 'oh OK, we'll have her then' thing ... didn't help that on one of the few occasions I managed to connect rounders bat with ball, it went straight into someones face . Never trust a left-hander!!  Like UTC, I was always into fitness though and did ballet until I was about 15 and the joys of Venture Scouting came along rather hours practising my steps etc.  Can remember the ballet made me very strong and fit though.

06/06/2013 at 20:25

Good luck with the packing TP When do you leave? Good luck in case I miss you.

Good luck Dirty 30 gang You doing it too OH?

Wee 6 miler tonight

06/06/2013 at 20:32

Mrs Mac - He is! Seems to blame me for some unknown reason!

Good luck with Strathearn all who are doing it - Mrs Mac, FFB, Tricia?

Off early tomorrow, back Sunday night. Could be a long day on Sat.

Also useless at school sport - no good at hockey therefore written off!

06/06/2013 at 22:39

Evening all. A rather hot an uncomfortable 7 miles for me this evening. I did a good nifty 5.5 yesterday lunchtime. I think I need to up the stretching.

Not doing Strathearn as it is the morning after the night before ...... yep, small birthday party on Saturday night, so probably not a good mix with marathon running.

Went to see Eddie Izzard last night: great show

I have created a crowd funding project to try and help raise the remaining funds I need to get out to Antarctica. Here is a link to Bloom VC where it is set up. Crowd funding is where you look for lots of small investments/promises for rewards. They start at £5.  It is supposed to be a very successful way of funding projects/events/challenges etc.

I would really appreciate it if you could pass the link on to anyone who might be interested.

06/06/2013 at 23:38

ooh FB - I saw him the other week when he was doing his show at Aberdeen, loved it.

Well I have hubbys car so am heading over tomorrow evening and hopefully camping at Shiel Bridge campsite - assuming I don't need to book a pitch or anything.  Then I have a slot on the 7.30am shuttle bus to Glenelg.  Will have to try and locate you Elspeth and OH!

Likewise good luck for the Strathearners! Hmmm, should be in bed now, finally finished baking for school bake sale ...

07/06/2013 at 07:46

Lovely morning here but no running. Resting after a rather rubbish tennis match last night but I won't bore you all with that. 

I loved PE at school - sports champion at primary school, played football and rugby for the school teams, got club awards for basketball with the school team and ran for the athletics team. But I think they got longer distance running wrong though at school, making everyone do it in the middle of winter. Nuts. 

Good luck to those doing the longer races (dirty 30, strathearn) this weekend. 

07/06/2013 at 08:29

Morning all. Another lovely day. Left leg really tight so lots of stretching and probably no run today. Might throw open the velux windows and jump on the spin bike.

07/06/2013 at 15:32

Good luck everyone racing / training at the weekend.

See ya all soon !

07/06/2013 at 18:21

Good luck to anyone doing a long race over the weekend in that heat.

Think it'll be another bash at the excellent Tollcross Parkrun for me.

07/06/2013 at 18:42

Good luck to everyone racing at the weekend. Husband has just left to do the Templeton trail race. I'm on-call this weekend but should fir in a copule of runs.

08/06/2013 at 06:35

Strathearn could be warm!- luckily I'm planning to go slow as "time on feet" for clyde stride.

Us left handers were always at a disadvantge with school sports- I was monumentally rubbist at everything we did at school- it was only when I discovered judo that I found any sport I could even vaguely enjoy!

09/06/2013 at 11:51

Hope the "Strathearners" have a cooler day that the Dirty Thirty team yesterday!  Back later with proper race report but very happy with 5 hours and 59 minutes (delighted to get under six hours!). Also to meet Elspeth and Other Half, so funny to meet people in the flesh

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.