Scottish Runners

28,981 to 29,000 of 33,504 messages
07/09/2012 at 07:55

Morning all. A wet dreich morning here. strength/weights work and another 10 miles on the spin bike for me last night. Might do a short run this evening or maybe focus on some yoga instead. Long run on Saturday.

07/09/2012 at 09:24

Morning all

Not been on in ages .

Well done everyone out racing last weekend, whatever the outcome, you were out there doing it, and thats what matters .

Massive respect and well done to the Macs for 24hrs of racing , I can't get my head round how you can do circuits / laps of a course for that long !! I'm more of a point to pointer myself, gotta feel like I'm going somewhere .

Not much happening here.....apart from the 't' word . RAW next weekend.

Good luck anyone racing this weekend.

07/09/2012 at 12:43

I was wondering where you had got to TP  

My energy levels have been fantastic this week. Why could they have not been like that last weekend  Hoping for a good long run tomorrow.

07/09/2012 at 19:13

Hope you're ok after your wee accident FFB? Enjoy the long run

Love trying out new routes 57.5

Thanks TP. Its definately a different mindset running laps. I quite enjoyed the 4 mile loop. I mentally broke it down into 4 mile sections of the WHW in my head. Not nearly as bad mentally as the 24 hours on the track

07/09/2012 at 20:31

evening

well didnt sleep too well last night... seem to have a bout of sciatica.. dear god Ive never had pain like it!! Really struggled through work today. Seems a tad better now and can walk ok but cant run Will attempt a swim tomorrow and hopefully will be ok for Pedal for Scotland on Sunday.

FFB... nasty, hope you're ok! I seem to encounter far fewer neds now since I moved although Im sure they're still there...

MrsMac well done! Not sure I could cope with the same loop for 24hrs, I think Id start to hallucinate Thats definitely a mental challenge as well as physical.

Lol BM did you find out about the marine?

TP, yes where have you been??

Watching the track and field on the paralympics.. still going strong GB!!

07/09/2012 at 20:51

EveningTri

No will try to find out on Monday.

TP: Good to have you back.

08/09/2012 at 07:55

Mornnig

Nice Sat morning out here in Erskine.

08/09/2012 at 09:59

Morning all

Yes looks like a nice morning in Glasgow too .

Mrs Mac - 24hrs track running , now that is ultra madness!! Almost as bad as 100m on the road .

UTC - ouch to the sciatica . Something that has plagued me on and off, currently 'off' thank goodness. Stretching helped mine but you have to be careful not to stretch things into the wrong place . Good Luck with P for S tommorrow.

Doing the Lakeland 50 appears to have re-niggled my ITB-type knee problem (too much walking and not enough running , and steep stony descents ). So I am being careful, although I will do a reasonably long run today, cos the weather is nice and t*p**ing is not!!!!

The Lakeland 50 / 100 are both fully booked out for next year, after entry only opened on 1st Sept !!! Really quite ridiculous . And they have increased the number of entrys over both races........it was busy enough this year, like Sauchiehall Street on a Saturday afternoon !! I thought for a minute I was in the Glasgow Half I had so many people around me .

Right must stop delaying and go out and do something!

08/09/2012 at 10:29

Morning TP

08/09/2012 at 11:33

Lovely day here too. Good turn out at our parkrun. Will probably go for a run later.

08/09/2012 at 14:19

afternoon

well after a good long but easyish swim my sciatica finally seems much better! Not perfect but much less painful and  I seem to have much more movement. I think the streamline position in the water, the movement and lack of impact all helped. My physio friends have all kept me right on the stretching and what to do/not to do!

going to get the housework done and keep on the move to avoid any seizing up, I really want to do my cycle tomorrow!!

TP, yes its soooo painful.. thats strange with the Lakelands... lovely to be able to plan so far in advance obviously

08/09/2012 at 14:51

Lol UTC - I am still trying to recover mentally from doing L50 this year, never mind thinking about entering it again so soon . It seems quite a money spinner all round though, so I can see why they want to get things rolling, good business strategy, build the hype.

Good to see FFB today, running and looking fit . Always nice to see a friendly face when you are out running.

I had a good 11.2m run, nice conditions. Almost had to come to the rescue of a guy in a wheelchair though, going along the pavement minding his own business, a car mounts the pavement on double yellow lines trying to park, two wheels on, two off, and almost takes out the guy in the chair !! I put a sprint on in case he needed help but the guy had already swerved and was shouting at the car driver when I got there . Then I shouted at a stupid kid on a bike (well he was about 25!!) for cycling on the pavement, swerving round pensioners and generally being a pain in the a . So all in all an eventful run .

08/09/2012 at 15:17

eventful indeed TP, some car drivers (and pavement cyclists!) are just crazy b*ggers!!

Bf almost got taken out (while cycling - on the road) a while back by a bus driver going the opposited way who crossed the road to park on the right hand side!!! No indicating, then proceeded to shout at bf about getting in the way...

then the other day a car turned left in front of him and the guy shouted he should have given way!!! erm... Im not sure what rules he was following!!

08/09/2012 at 15:44

Tri: Too many mad drivers on the road with little thougt for runners  or cyclists.

08/09/2012 at 16:49

Afternoon. Yes, great to see you TP. As you say a friendly face. I had a good run today: 12 miles and bags of energy Where was that when I needed it last weekend  Lets hopw that is things getting back to normal and I will start to build up again.

It is crazy how quickly events seem to fill up. I need to keep my eye of a few for next year. About to reveal my big challenge. It is not a definite yet but things are starting to line up.

08/09/2012 at 17:22

FFB - you have us all on tenderhooks about next years adventure .

UTC - yeah, the overtake then turn left in front of you is a classic, usually indicating at the last second ......its like they forget you also have forward momentum, and they indicate so when you crash into them they can say it was all your fault cos look I was indicating and everything .

The other classic is the 'lets create 3 lanes out of 2' one - you are sat at traffic lights, in a good position to go straight ahead, then (usually a taxi) pulls up outside you so they are half across the wrong side of the road, then another car pulls up your inside to turn left on a left only lane, but actually they are in the wrong lane and want to go straight ahead too, Hey Presto we have 3 lane chaos !!!

I have been quite enjoying my wee trips out on the Paisley cycle path actually .

Football on here today, I dread to even look to see how Scotland got on - I can usually tell if it has not gone well by the dejected look of the fans coming out.

08/09/2012 at 18:29

My worst fright with a car was coming down a steep hill past standing traffic - I saw a car pull out from a side road, thought I was going to go over the top but managed to just about stop sprawled over the bonnet. Then she let out the clutch again and drove over my foot! Her words: "I think that that might have been partly my fault". I calmly informed her that I thought it was entirely her fault. Somehow neither bike nor me being seriously injured, I continued into work that day!

Hoever I have no sympathy for cyclists getting cyclists a bad name by running red lights. We have to obey law and Highway Code too.

Technique for dealing with vehicle drivers who overtake then immediately turn left:

1. If you have time bring the flat of your hand firmly on (roof of) their vehicle (they're already not giving you the recommended 3 feet clearance if you can do this) - causes damage to neither you nor the vehicle, but gives vehicle driver a bit of an eye opener.
A mate of mine once adapted this to (deliberately) lean his handle bars into the vehicle to leave a score mark along the offending vehicle (NOT recommended!)

2. Leave plenty of room on inside even when doing a left turn to allow for such eventualities. If there are lanes use centre of lane at a junction.

Edited: 08/09/2012 at 18:29
08/09/2012 at 20:35

True OH - I have only one time ran a red light (on a pedestrian crossing) and that was because if I hadnt continued moving forward then the car behind me that was speeding would have crashed into me and wiped me all over the road . We both shot through the crossing before any peds were on it luckily, else it would have been total wipeout for all concerned.

Cyclists on pavements when its not a bike lane is my particular bug bear because they are usually the type that jump from road to pavement without looking, jump lights and dart out between parked cars, generally causing a nuisance to everyone, and getting us all a bad name. A guy on a bike was killed round here recently because he shot out of a side alley between parked cars and straight across a busy main road, all dressed in black and no helmet of course, the car driver wasnt found to be speeding but still wouldnt have stood a chance of seeing him .

09/09/2012 at 06:33

morning

well after  a day of literally staying off my butt things are drastically better so am going to attempt PfS. It may or may not be successful

Main difference last night being I actually slept! Am now able to kind of lie on my left and can stand up from sitting normally. Hope I can enjoy the cycle.

Have taken a  couple of brufen.... fingers xd

09/09/2012 at 09:12

Good Luck Tri chick .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.