Scottish Runners

29,001 to 29,020 of 32,843 messages
09/09/2012 at 10:09

TP/UTC, I have a certain amount of sympathy for people who cycle on the pavement although I wish they would get off and walk it in sections where it's full of people instead of ringing their bells expecting me to get out the way! But the roads are just so dangerous and cyclists are so vulnerable. Not to mention that Glasgow is terrible in its lack of provision for cycling lanes and paths etc. And I agree about obeying traffic lights.

Now that's got my controversial thoughts out of the way , lovely morning for a run, did 69 mins around Dawsholm Park which is a jolly long way for me. Been having a bit of a running break this week.

09/09/2012 at 14:43

Lol Joe - actually I have met some young cyclists (ie little uns) on my runs in Pollok Park that have obviously been really well trained by their parents to ding and ding and ding, even when there is no chance of them hitting you and the path is really wide . I usually wave at them and say hello .

Had a good cycle myself today on the road bike, very quiet out, everyone must be doing Pedal for Scotland (or the Olympic fever has worn off ). Very very windy going over the high moors, hope UTC is getting on okay, she has some higher climbs to do than I did today in Ayrshire !

Great one today - I was doing about 23mph on a long flat bit of road between Newmilns and Galston, it has these 'traffic calming'  things in the middle of the road, whereby it narrows the road in certain places. Massive Lexus comes speeding up behind me, crosses to the opposite side of the road and overtakes the bollards (and me) on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic !! You think you have seen it all......and then you go cycling !!!

09/09/2012 at 18:45

Hope you enjoyed PfS UTC. The Dundee Cyclathon was today too - same rout as the Dundee marathon. We went to Glen Doll and had a nice walk. Like Joe, had a break from running this wek, but did a short run yesterday. Back to Pilates class tomorrow - Monday class hasn't been running over the summer.

10/09/2012 at 00:10

TP, I did the pedal for Scotland challenge ride today and was overtaken by 2 cars around bollards on the wrong side of the road. insane behaviour. 1 car got really frustrated with the amount of bikes outside Airdrie and nearly clipped a woman who was nowhere near the middle of the road. incredible, it was good though as he then hit something in the middle of the road and everyone thought he'd got a puncture and cheered. he slowed down then realised he didn't and sped off in shame. heard the word wanker from about 10 folk in unison. ahhh cycling in North Lanarkshire...

10/09/2012 at 05:44

Morning

Okay so got som ecatching up to do.

Mornnig Tri

Fartlek done and dusted.

Niece stayed with us most of Saturday and yesterday and she's now almost fully recovered from her mental illness.

10/09/2012 at 06:46

morning

had a great day at PfS yesterday!! will report properly later thpugh.

Knackered but back to work it is eh?

Glad you enjoyed too Ewan.

Hope your niece is ok BM.

10/09/2012 at 10:00

Well done Ewan and Tri .

Morning Birkmyre.

T*pering continues . Quite tired today so just as well really .

10/09/2012 at 13:12

ARGHHHHH

Ok, so that happened way more quickly than I had anticipated and I am now rather committed to my challenge for next year and so have to 'go public' ........

Assuming that I can raise enough backing from corporate sponsors, philanthropic individuals who are sympathetic to the charity ........

I will be participating in the Antarctic Ice Marathon & Ultra Marathon in November 2013 to raise money for Alzheimers Scotland

My enquiry to the organiser resulted in a response to say that the event was already almost full (heaven knows where people find the money). It was suggested that it was best that I enter now and pay the deposit, which would be returned in the event of my not being able to raise the rest.

So stage 1, I need to fairly quickly find corporate backers to add to the one that I have already, who has agreed to pay the deposit.

Stage 2, get a website and blog set up ASAP

Stage 3, I need to find companies who will sponsor me with kit

Stage 4, I need to find a coach/trainer who will coach me for free

Stage 5, Get the charity fundraising kicked off cos I want to raisea lot of money to justify the backing .......

What have I done  I hate cold and I don't do camping and both are involved, not to metion the mammoth task of doing the distances and raising that amount of cash for Alzheimers ....... I must be insane

10/09/2012 at 13:23

LOL - yes you are officially insane FFB !

Sounds great though  hope you can pull off all the sponsorship etc .

Free coaching advice  - I would spend a lot of weekends doing back to backs over the winter, preferably up and down the WHW or similar . Oh yes, and walking....do a lot of walking.....

I'm not surprised its nearly full though - this seems to be the way it is going, you only have to look at how hard it is to get into UTMB for instance.

10/09/2012 at 13:58

LOL. Yes TP. Someone suggested finding a refrigerated warehouse and running round it

10/09/2012 at 14:16

I'll be expecting to see you up in Queens Park dragging a tyre .

10/09/2012 at 18:58

Wow FFB! How exciting Good luck with all the organising. The refrigerated warehouse sounds like a good(?) idea

10/09/2012 at 20:44

Wow - you certainly don't go for the easy option FFB. Good luck with fund-raising. I'll sponsor you - I'm hoping that if and when I get Alzheimer's they'll be better treatment for it!

11/09/2012 at 05:53

Morning

Dreich day so far.Mind you it is early

FFB: all the best

Morning Tri and TP

Thanks for good wishes re my neice. Much appreciated. She is seemingly almost fully recovered.

11/09/2012 at 06:00
11/09/2012 at 06:43

morning

wow good luck with that FFB!! That takes real determination... I must say too much for me, dont think I could do with all the fundraising, I often find it hard enough to collect a hundred quid from people at work good luck!!

Well done Murray!!!  Excellent sporting times!!

I was pretty knackered last night and leg still a bit sore, so ended up having a rest day and will swim tonight. Running tomorrow.

The cycle itself was awesome though. Great weather, great people, and I got to meet Mark Beaumont who kindly signed my cycle top for me Lovely guy. The route  was as I remember it from the last time I did that route (last year I did the sportive).. and it was just a great day all in.

I finished in 3:20 which for me was pretty good!! Happy days and desperate to do that route again soon now I have my confidence back.

Now time to up the mileage (towards the end of the week Ill start by doing a couple of 10k runs and up to maybe 8 or so next week) starting the HM training for October.

Right, work calls

11/09/2012 at 07:24

Well done Andy Murray!!

11/09/2012 at 08:02

Morning all. I must be insane. I know how hard it is to fundraise (having done quite a bit in the past, and that was self funded events), and I have saddled myself with 2 rounds of it: one to actually participate and one for the charity. I just have to hope that I can sell myself and my determination to companies in return for a sympathetic ear, the lure of advertising and free motivational speaking or consultancy

Alison, I know what you mean. OH has lost 2 aunts to Alzheimers and my uncle has it although early stages, but he is young. We have friends who have lost parents too. It is actually one of my worst fears. I think I am more scared of that than the big C.

15 miles on the spin bike last night and hopefully 6 mile run tonight.

11/09/2012 at 10:21

Well done on the cycle ride UTC - nice to meet Mark B too, he seems like a nice chap .

Brilliant for Andy Murray .

Probably do a short run later. Not had any final details on RAW yet......cutting it a bit fine !

11/09/2012 at 11:36

well done Andy Murray

FFB  That sounds amazing if daunting

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.