Scottish Runners

29,021 to 29,040 of 33,345 messages
11/09/2012 at 13:08

Yes, indeed, great to see Andy Murray finally get a grand slam

11/09/2012 at 19:04

Yes, fantastic win for Andy Murray.

Good run this evening. Bright and sunny but quite cold here.

11/09/2012 at 19:08

Evening

Just in to have a nosey and catch up

11/09/2012 at 19:10

ffb- looks like "fun" ( what we call "type 2 fun"..................great once it's over!). Didn't sit up to watch murray match, but glad he's finally got over that hurdle.

So- SPOTY- Wiggo/ murray/ ennis/ hoy/ weir?????????????????

I've been on my feet in theatre all day, knackered, think I'll switch to winter mode for a short commute tomorrow- weather may be dodgy, not sure, but there's ceratinly not enough day light for the full 11 miles each way, plus a days' work! Anyway- I'm 'sposed to be tapering, so that's my excuse.

11/09/2012 at 19:40

Tricialitt:Bradley Wiggins for SPOTY for me.

11/09/2012 at 21:10
"So- SPOTY- Wiggo/ murray/ ennis/ hoy/ weir?????????????????"
Surely Farah has to be added to this list (and he have my vote closely followed by Wiggins)
11/09/2012 at 23:17

Add Rory McIlroy? He plays a silly game but he's awfully good at it!

I think I'd vote for Mo, with Murray over Hoy for Scottish SPOTY. But it is hard not to give it to Wiggins or Murray who both did something I doubted I'd see in my lifetime a few years back.

Winter seems to have arrived in the north with cold winds and drizzle. Luckily I'm off to Englandshire for the weekend where it might be a little warmer. Hope to make an English parkrun, then party in Oxfordshire with people I worked in Malawi with 20 years ago.

ffb - scary challenge. The fundraising, not the running which should be fun.

I met Mark Beaumont on his round the world ride, and joined him for about 0.1% of the way. Sadly there seems to be a conspiracy to stop me ever getting to one of his talks. The latest example being next week when he's in Inverness and I'm off to Glasgow for the Champions League game.

12/09/2012 at 05:46

Morning

Steadyily plodded round this morning

57.5: Read Mark Beaumonts book Cycling Americas, found it a fascinating account.

OH : Good shouts re adding Mo Farah. I'll add Greg Rutherford.

Edited: 12/09/2012 at 05:47
12/09/2012 at 06:57

morning BM

Mark Beaumont's 1st book with his round the world record attempt was also excellent and worth a read.

Hmmm SPOTY, they all deserve something I think!! So hard to choose!!

Looking forward to run tonight although will be taking care as still have some discomfort in back of my leg.

Inverness you say 57.5? Id love to make one his talks too!!

Best get a move on then....

12/09/2012 at 10:04

Morning to the lot of You .

SPOTY - yeah too hard to choose!! I would love to see Wiggo, Farah, Ennis etc but I would lay money on they give it to some no-mark footballer or racing driver as per . It is such a BBC chauvinist old boys network, if they give it to a woman I will eat my skanky running cap !!

Chaos round here last night with the Scotland game, loads of folks came by car , some spectacular near-misses on the roads with people desperate to park ....and in the ground it would seem !! They got boo-ed off by the fans......

GB is used to success and medal winning now.....to me the biggest Olympic legacy would be if they invested more money in grass roots cycling, athletics, tennis etc, and less importance was placed on prima donnas kicking a ball around .

Ooh that was quite a good taper-rant even by my standards .

Still nothing from RAW .....errrrrrm I guess I just turn up.....

12/09/2012 at 16:20

57.5 - when is Mark B in Inverness, due to be down in a couple of weekends time, probably not then?

TP - good rant indeed

FFB - wow that's extreme, best of luck with it.

11 mile run this morning up back of Wideford hill, getting a bit muddy these days but legs felt a bit stronger. Getting colder too.

Off to Edinburgh and then to Englandshire this weekend.

Tricia - you doing LN, looking like I will be supporting only this year. But planning a run somewhere round Inverness in the morning while you lot spend hours on the buses!

12/09/2012 at 18:38

Lovely run in to work this morning- only problem is now I need ot get off my a$$ and run home again. Managed this morning 6 miles at race pace (I feel I've done a lot of long slow stuff, but very little at race pace or above). Will take it easy in the late sunshine tonite,- perhaps it is summer at last! Sorry  you are still confined  to spectator status Elspeth, but at least you are beginnig to make preogress again in your recovery- it's been a long drag, hasn't it.

12/09/2012 at 21:35

Tricia - I will look out for you - what sort of time are you expecting?, I have a friend who will probably be between 3.30 and 3.40 and OH who is hoping for between 4.30 and 5 hours I think though he hasn't exactly said! So will probably be hovering around the finish area for a good while.

Not entirely confined to spectator status but since I'm running at Langdale weekend before LN probably not a great idea to attempt the marathon though I was very tempted.

12/09/2012 at 21:49

Evening

Belated morning to Tri and TP

Catch up time.

12/09/2012 at 23:02

Elspeth, Mark B is in Inverness next Wednesday, 19th. He is doing a few dates in different bits of Scotland UTC.

Reprised one of my favourite Inverness runs tonight, to the sea lock at the end of the canal then up over the neolithic fort on Craig Phadraig. The nights are fair drawin' in.

Not sure I'd put money into grass roots tennis TP, the LTA have been doing that for years and all they have to show for it is a champion who turned his back on their system very early.

13/09/2012 at 05:49

Morning

5M Fartlek done and dusted. Not a bad session actually. Dry,cool with no wind

Morning Tri and TP for later

13/09/2012 at 07:04

morning BM

good swim last night as leg still niggling. Towards end of week will definitely be back running. Tonight maybe actually. Then swim again.

Good luck with RAW TP and Tricia with LN.

Wish I could attend 1 of Mark Beaumonts talks.. but doubt I could make it to Inverness

Interview tomorrow so need to get organised.

13/09/2012 at 10:04

Morning Birkmyre.

Thanks UTC. Hope the interview goes well.

Elspeth - are you doing the Langdale marathon again?

57.5 - true, I was thinking more on a very basic level, along the lines of well maintained municipal courts that are free to play on. But I guess thats the problem with any type of funding - it has to go to a 'body' of some description, then its up to them to allocate it how they see fit, take their wages, etc etc .

Pretty grim weather here....hope it clears up for Saturday . Cat refusing to go out - would rather bite my feet !!! Oi!!!!!!

13/09/2012 at 16:06

TP well I've entered but was keeping it quiet (in case I fail again). Essentially can start but revert to the half if things get tough but I'd really really like to finish it if I can.

Grim weather here too today, howling wind and heavy rain, supposed to be getting worse so our boat tomorrow night might not be pleasant (or go at all).

57.5 - thanks - we will be in Englandshire then but never mind!

13/09/2012 at 17:54

Elspeth - have a good holiday - hope you can get off the island ! Good luck with the race too - I passed near to Langdale campsite on the Lakeland50 , (well you could see the lights in the distance), thats one time I did actually wish I was running on the road .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.