Scottish Runners

29,101 to 29,120 of 31,032 messages
21/06/2013 at 17:28

About to leave for the Black Rock 5.

Hope you're not too sore FFB.

21/06/2013 at 20:52

evening

lots going on!!

FFB, good training... ouch to the falls though, hope you are ok!!!

Good luck tonight Alison!

Sounds like you are recovering well TP!

Well done on the bathroom BM

Good luck to any racers this weekend... 

I had a lovely 7 miles this morning before work and a nice cycle afterwards... although went a bit earlier due to planned grocery shop and the traffic was a tad busy in places.. no incidents though and was still enjoyable. Takes my bike total to about 170km, the most I think I've done in a long time. 

Looking forward to long session tomorrow and then OW swim Sunday before going to watch the cycle champs in town. 

Will be getting some races booked over the weekend but next one at the moment is Ullswater Olympic Triathlon. Nerves in abundance there!!!

Enjoy WHW MrsMac!!!

21/06/2013 at 22:15

Good running and cycling UTC. When is the Ullswater Triathlon?

Enjoyed the Black Rock 5. Hard work running on the sand. Feet, socks, shoes all very wet, and at the rock water up to our knees. Although called the Black Rock 5, actually only 4.36 miles, so nice surprise when the finish line came.

22/06/2013 at 09:19

Glad your recovery going well TP and that your feet are back to normal. heading out for my last long run before clydestride. I definitely need to find another couple of events for August and October.

Bruises turning lots of lovely shades of green. Left knee still very sore but ok for running

Happy running everyone.

22/06/2013 at 20:52

Did about 11 miles along the start of the CS route today- not fully over Strathearn yet, and now it's time to taper for CS- not sure whether to do too much, or too little!

I think I might do a few miles tomorrow as a back-to-back- seems easier on the limbs than a longer single run.

Next weekend I might go for about 15- it will be far enough away from the race for recovery, and should hopefully ease the feeling of inadequate recent preparation.Does that sounnd sensible?

I have actually done fairly similar mileage to last years trainig for CS- but last year was several of 11 mile back to backs, whereas this year is more 19 milers,and I'm not sure which is better- except that this year I've done 3 long runs on the actual course, which has to be a good thing ( although the psychological effect of a cramp nightmare over the recce run on the last stretch is not good!)

THat race report is seriously impressive, TP- I think I would get really freaked out running alone through the night, I wimped out a bit going through the rough bits of Edinburgh on the glasgowEdin, just 'cos it was dark, and I know the reputation of that area of town. I latched onto some poor other runner for company through that bit. Can't believe you are already talking about running again so soon after!

23/06/2013 at 09:29

morning BM, enjoy your rest.

Tricia, great training either way!! Clyde Stride is on my to do list.. maybe next year???

Was out early this morning for a wee tempo run with an impromptu set of hill reps at the end!! (Reps off for the summer with club so thought I may as well).

Going to watch the cycling in town today!! Exciting stuff! Have changed OW swim to tomorrow morning art Bardowie Loch instead of today. Bf knackered from 75km 5 lap cycle race yesterday... in which he managed to keep with the peleton the whole way so was quite happy as there were numerous people dropped out. Roads were gravelly/pothole-y in places and quite difficult to cycle on. Lots of bits of metal twanging off bikes all the way round including bf's gear shifter which almost completely fell off over a pothole.

I took a rest day yesterday as was exhausted for some reason. Then in the PM we packed up loads of boxes for the move next week.(Cross training???).  And got loads of stuff for bin/charity shop so that will ease the move getting rid of bulk before hand.

Have a good day everyone!!!

23/06/2013 at 09:32

oh meant to say well done at Black Rock 5 Alison!! Ullswater is in a few weeks. Tbh Im still crapping myself about the swim... but hoping I will scrape around!!! Its all about the challenge!!

23/06/2013 at 12:01

Morning all, looks like the bike race is going up Gt George St, that should be good to watch I get out of breath just walking up it.

23/06/2013 at 20:31

Thanks UTC. I'm sure you'll do fine at Ullsawater - you do lots of training.

Terrible weather here today. Did a short run, only 4 miles, and avoided the worst of the rain. Hope it was better for the cyclists in Glasgow.

23/06/2013 at 20:53

WHW supporting - what a fantastic but emotionally/physically draining experience! My runner was going too fast for support at Bridge of Orchy - you must be 4 hours behind the leader As a result she took a mental dip and I had to work hard to get her fired up again after Glencoe. Her 'A' goal was 22 hours and 'B' was 24 hours. She finished on 22.42 and was 5th lady Put me right back in the mood to run the WHW race after last years DNF

23/06/2013 at 21:03

Thanks Alison... here's hoping.

The Cycling was AWESOME today!!!! We were out all day watching the men and women... started in west end and finished the day at the finish in Glasgow Green. (Feel like we walked miles... phew!!). The weather held well but the DNF rate showed how hard the course must have been!!! 23/50 finished in the women's race... 20/130 finished in the men's!!!!!!

Cav sprinted to the finish in the men's race and Lizzie Armitstead beat Laura Trott in an attack on the last lap in the women with Dani King in 3rd. Joanna Rowsell fought back to take 4th from Emma Trott leaving her in 5th.

Fantastic day, such a cracking atmosphere, met loads of friends around the town and it was just cool to have all traffic cleared for the event!! Amazing day. Cant wait for the Games next year now

23/06/2013 at 21:06

well done on supporting WHW MrsMac!! Cant imagine how tough that one must be... even supporting!! 

24/06/2013 at 08:02

UTC, glad you enjoyed it. I watched the first two laps half way up Gt George St and it seemed to me the mens field was already well broken up by lap 2.

It was great having the roads closed again like they were for the West End festival recently, perhaps they should have one of those permanent 'no cars on Sunday schemes'?

24/06/2013 at 14:18

Good racing Alison, and well done in your support role MrsMac, that was a really good time for your friend . I always fancied doing some support / crewing until it dawned on me that it is probably harder than actually just running yourself....unless of course you just go to the pub instead of the checkpoints .

Tricia - nothing much to worry about on a race in the dark in the countryside (apart from conjuring up spooky bits!). I would be more concerned if it was through a Glasgow park at night, I have to admit, but in the country I have generally always felt a lot safer (fewer chances for nutters / opportunists to be hanging about mainly).

Good luck with Ullswater UTC, that is a lovely place. Not exactly flat for your ride or run stage though, so the swim might be the least of your worries  (bad Tiger !!). It will be lovely scenery though !

Well, whilst some of you were out watching the cycling yesterday afternoon I was in the cinema watching World War Z . Actually quite enjoyed it, had been dreading the whole Hollywood take on the zombie movie, being a fan of the low budget versions, but it was fascinating to see how they had used the street scenes shot in Glasgow a couple of years ago. Really weird seeing car crashes and tonnes of people running across George Square (which was supposed to be Philadelphia).

Lots of lengthy dialogue scenes had most of the audience leaving to get yet more food to stuff their faces with (2hr film and they cannot not eat? ) interspersed with very good action sections that were loud enough to drown out the cacophony of sweetie wrappers and munching . Don't think I will be going to the cinema again for a while, £11.10 for a premier seat, in a tiny auditorium, squashed against the wall and surrounded by pigs at the trough oinking over their mobiles , it has got to be a special film to put up with all that!!

4.5m recovery run on Saturday (hurt!!!) and good cycle this morning (didn't hurt!!) .

24/06/2013 at 17:50

the course profile TP says the cycle is pretty much flat!! (better be as that was the reason I chose it!!! and the run also. 

The cycle has only 100m climb over the distance. Fingers xd.

Off out for a cycle once bf gets home. Waiting til half 6 to let the most of the commuters get off the roads

24/06/2013 at 18:05

That's good UTC - the road round the west side of Ullswater is a little 'undulating' but nothing too major  (I've only ever driven it though!). The opposite side (track, no road) I've ran a few times, and that is a stunningly good trail run with some steep climbs. Just depends where they take you I guess! Enjoy your cycle, nice night for it.

24/06/2013 at 20:26

UTC - the cycling sounds exciting! Good luck for Ullswater

Alison - well done with the race

Mrs Mac - good job done with your supporting - got to be pretty hard job. Still having done it yourself you know what's needed.

Fed up with my legs only being good for short distances - 10 miles Yesnaby to almost Stromness and back along the cliffs with Peter this morning. Scenic yes but maybe a bit too near the cliff edges in places for me and definitely too many bonxies(skuas to non Orkney folk), got dive bombed a few times though they stayed away from Peter. Gave up trying to do the last little bit as just too many electric fences which we had to crawl under!

Refuelled we then decided to try out the new swimming pool which opened at the weekend. Big improvement both in facilities and massively increased opening hours. Just a pity had no energy left to swim!

Back at work for a rest tomorrow (maybe not the rest). Looking forward to Harris Half in just under a fortnight - return to old ground - we had a lot of holidays there when kids were small.

24/06/2013 at 20:28

TP - good going being back running and cycling so soon.

24/06/2013 at 22:13

cracking ride again tonight through Strathblane... a bit windy in places but LOVED it and starting to feel more comfortable on steeper sections downhill (uphills are no bother I can grind away for a good bit!!) and on corners. Great fun,  tough but awesome training for the tri!!! Beautiful night as well. A bit cooler than last week but still just a cycle top, shorts and a light jacket and was fine!

OW swim in the morning and run (longish, easy) tomorrow night.

Thanks Elspeth, think I will need the luck!!

The Harris Half sounds lovely!! definitely somewhere I will visit as soon as logistics allow.

Bed is calling me soon...

TP it is the north east we are racing on, near Penrith. 

24/06/2013 at 23:18

Another blog entry here

Loads to catch up on again. Will read back through.

I had to abandon my long run on Saturday after 8 miles. I was just hurting. I think it was the after effects of my falls earlier in the week. So, I am now going to have to risk a 20 miler this weekend just 2 weeks before Clyde Stride.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.