Scottish Runners

29,121 to 29,140 of 33,516 messages
23/09/2012 at 18:44

Well done Elspeth and OH at Langdale.

Welcome back Ian - RAW stands for The River Ayr Way Challenge, so really it should be RAWC (which sounds a bit like something a pterodactyl might say, so probably why they stuck to 3 letters) . I will be in Jedburgh (all day ) for the ultra.

UTC - nice to have April to look forward to .

10.5m run for me today, during which I got some good speed up and also managed to prevent somebody from fly-tipping down by the river, so two birds and all that. They are rife around here dumping building cr!p so good to catch one 'at it'. I have probably moved him on somewhere else, but if I see familiar rubbish and his van around here again I already have his reg no. to report to the council HAH HAH  Hahahahahaha .

23/09/2012 at 20:06

Well done on the civic responsibility TP.

IanJ, someone I saw on another forum just booked a B and B close to the start but the city is a bit busy for marathon w/e.

Kirky and Amsterdam are a couple of contrasting locations UTC!

Great weather for running in Glencoe today, and a nice wee leg stretcher on the way home in Fort Augustus too. Did have to pull of at Urquhart Castle on the way home for a sleep though so might need an early night.

23/09/2012 at 21:32

Kirky & Amsterdam...canaltastic! Venice, or Birmingham next?

Week 4 of physio and now seeing real progress. Still no running until November, but I can get back on the bike. Looking forward to training again. Targeting the Glasgow Uni 5m and maybe Dunbartonshire and West XCs for my return after that it's the club Santa race and some sensible training for next year (maybe Alloa half?).

Some good stories over the last month have kept me interested while I've been plotting my "comeback". I bought Julian Goater's book last week and I'm a total fan now. Spent a lot of time on youtube watching him - and Foster, Moorcroft, Rono and Ovett (and many others).

Good to see you back IJ.

Edited: 23/09/2012 at 22:41
24/09/2012 at 11:33

morning (just)

off to climbing centre shortly, run with club later if I make it back on time.

Yep Ally, canaltastic indeed haha!! Hoping for another HM PB in Amsterdam... surely?

Ill likely do the GU 5mile as well so may so you there!! Also doing the XC

have a good day everyone (esp those who are off ).

24/09/2012 at 11:59

I'm off today, and tapering, so can't run again today ( ran sat & sunday.so need to stop now), Lazy day at home- have topped up my Kindle with 5 new books for a holiday in 4 weeks time ( Lanzarote- need some winter sun!). Weather is getting worse, so will just hunker down at home.

24/09/2012 at 12:15

Thanks for the welcomes back.  I will try to be less sporadic. 

UTC and 57.5 - thanks for the tip... I'm starting to think I might just give up on it though - still lurgied up and a few things going on this week that might just mean a trip to Inverness isn't the smartest move right now.  That, and finances.  Apparently my bank account has gone down 400 quid in a week.  Worrying, when you haven't really bought anything**.  Good luck in the marathon OH.

TP - RAWC!  Sounds a bit like R!O!C!K!  You could tell people you were doing the ROCK marathon and watch them be impressed. 

Maybe not, actually, they might just laugh.  And I think Edinburgh tried that already last year.  See you in Jedburgh though?  Think I might try and stop there that weekend, rather than race back.

AllyMac - wondered if I'd seen you at any recent races, but I guess not if you've been injured.  Hope you recover soon.  Glasgow Uni 5 miler....urrrr....oh, but its so....urrrr....and sort of....urrrr... I'll probably do it too, though.

Well, I managed to run ONE KILOMETRE yesterday!  For a few days now, something in my shin has felt uncomfortable rather than painful - sort of like it isn't in the right place.  I've had this before a couple of times, and its generally a warning sign.  I hoped it might have shifted yesterday, but apparently not.  So, ran 1k and walked 4k!  Not quite how I envisaged doing 5k.  Let's aim for 2 and a half today, maybe.  This isn't ideal training for Jedburgh.  The plan was to do an 11 miler. 

Right, enough procrastinating.  Get out there, into the sub-tropical balmyness of it all, and do it!

**having said that, the Amsterdam half sounds extremely tempting.  And Birmingham...more miles of canal than Venice?  Yes, well, apparently so.  But, at the risk of being disloyal to my home town, most of the ones in Venice don't run round the back of abandoned factories and dodgy warehouses.

24/09/2012 at 14:38

Afternoon

Good luck on your injury recovery Ally.

Nice weekend of running 57.5. Isnt there a marathon in Glencoe soon? I was tempted for the scenery but not by the entry price!!

UTC - Shock horror at possibily the latest I have ever seen your first post of the day !! Amsterdam trip sounds great.

Tricia - good luck for Loch Ness - tapering this week sounds good, its horrid out!!

Good luck too to OH and Elspeth for LN.

Ian - hope you got a good run, mine was errrm, windswept to say the least . LOL at B-ham canals - yes well, if I can ever manage to get a place in GUCR I will be seeing a lot more of them .

24/09/2012 at 18:54

Elspeth is being good and (rightly IMHO) considered that Langdale Marathon followed by Loch Ness Marathon 8 days later was asking for trouble at this stage.

She's still coming to Inverness with me, just won't be racing.

On real taper now

I never knew Birmingham was famous for its canals

24/09/2012 at 19:09

Hi all, not been around but had good holiday in Lakes culminating in Langdale marathon as above. Was really pleased with my time which was 1 min faster than last year though I walked a lot more - not so good. Just went out with the idea of forgeting about watch and just getting round as best I could but rather overdid the pace in first half and that and lack of long runs meant a lot of walking in the second. But I really enjoyed it once I got to the point where I knew I was going to finish - probably about 15 miles, the sun shone, the scenery was lovely and finished off with tea and soup outside the pub with a Cape Wrath friend who we met by chance there.

Won a knitted doll and tin of biscuits for first (only) over 50 lady! Tends to be a marathon with very few women for some reason.

Sadly not doing LN but now I really wish I was. Probably sensible not to though. Will be looking out for you at the finish though Tricia - what sort of time do you think you'll do. Unless it is pouring wet that is, I might be a fair weather supporter My plan is a post brekkie run by the canal, shower and down to the finish to spectate.

Ian James - welcome back, I'm sure you'd find somewhere to B&B in Inverness and it's not the most expensive place to stay.

Back at work tomorrow

24/09/2012 at 20:01

Thats brilliant Elspeth You have every right to be pleased. Looking forward to seeing you both in Inverness

24/09/2012 at 20:15

lol TP, no work today and had stuff to do this morning, catching up on housework

great day climbing, am really loving it now... not sure my fingers agree any more though there all afternoon, so werent back in time for club (not sure I was keen as the weather is manky!!)

Erm Ally, never been to B'ham... no idea re the canals... Venice was a marathon I considered for next year though

Well done Elspeth, and good luck OH for next weekend!!

Lanzarote sounds lovely Tricia!

Work tomorrow... erm, not looking forward to the commute I have to say!

24/09/2012 at 20:36

Arrived home late yesterday evening, and just been catching up. Well done elspeth and OH, and welcome back IJ. My next race is the Templeton 10 - first Sunday in November - can enter on Entrycentral if anyone interested. Very wild and windy here today. Pilates this evening.

24/09/2012 at 20:52

Oh yes, our Black Country canals are famous you know, birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and all that, how do you think they used to move all that coal and steel around . Actually my gran used to swim in the canal in the 1930's !!!! Must have had a stomach of iron ! 'Course, no shopping trolleys back then .

Well done on your win Elspeth . Bizarre prize though!! Sensible not doing LN, too much downhill to jar the legs so soon after your other race.

Havent done LN for about 3yrs, might have to do it again one year.

Good luck cycling to work tommorrow UTC . I thought today was meant to be the 'bad day' but apart from the wind it didnt seem that bad .

24/09/2012 at 23:38

TP - hadn't heard of a Glencoe marathon. Canals in the 30's must have had the chance of polio .

If you make it to Inverness by Saturday morning Elspeth come run the parkrun! Hope your return up north was not weather interupted.

A bit wet and windy in Nairn tonight but nothing abnormal. My wife tells me it is still pleasant in Ardnamurchan so who knows where the dodgy weather is located?

25/09/2012 at 06:57

morning... where's BM?

indecisive about cycling to work but tbh looks ok, just seems to be the media going on about things (mostly England related).. Scotland areas are supposedly everywhere except Glasgow! Dark and cold though winter is here!.

Tempo run tonight and spin class I think.

Welcome back Alison.

25/09/2012 at 07:54
A bit of wind (nothing out of ordinary) dry and some blue sky in Orkney. 3 miler you.d scapa this afternoon as on taper.
57.5 : Els considered the 10k too short, fast and furious!
5k s would certainly be a no no

Thanks for encouragement for Nessie
good running wishes to tricia and MrsMac too
25/09/2012 at 16:08

Late post today, no running but went for a little walk and got soaked . Saw some wild pictures on the news of Aberdeen harbour, weird sand-filled sea foam completely knee deep all over the harbour and on cars and houses !

Presumably that means the boat is off , which is a bummer as I'm expecting loads of boxes of work down from Orkney and it probably won't be able to get here for the duration .

Attempted to get a place for next years SDW100 today, it went something like this: 9.30am they tweet 'entry opens at 10am', 10am hunners of folks pile onto the site trying to get one of the hens teeth 225 places, 10.10am their whole server crashes under the traffic , 10.40am I manage to get on the site but find the entry is now locked, 1pm they announce no entry today as server cannot handle it and they will have entry open again same time next week . Surely that is just going to cause the same issue?  

I totally get using social media for advertising but I think some businesses maybe do not fully realise what they are unleashing? Its a bit like somebody putting on FB 'Hey guys party at my hoose' then being surprised when 3000 total strangers turn up and cause a riot in the street !!!

25/09/2012 at 16:41

TP MV Hrossey got in to Aberdeen at 15:30 (but didn't stop at Kirkwall)

Weather nothing out of the usual here

25/09/2012 at 16:50

Thanks OH - my courier might have got through, he usually phones the night before delivery, so guess he might come tommorrow.

25/09/2012 at 17:19

57.5 - I might have done the parkrun for "fun" but we don't get down until late afternoon Sat. Any suggestions for an 8- 10 mile run around Inverness Sunday morning not getting in the way of the marathoners/10k ers? We're staying near Bught Park.

Where's BM indeed?

Mrs Mac - looking forward to seeing you

Pretty dreich here today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.