Scottish Runners

29,121 to 29,140 of 33,654 messages
24/09/2012 at 20:15

lol TP, no work today and had stuff to do this morning, catching up on housework

great day climbing, am really loving it now... not sure my fingers agree any more though there all afternoon, so werent back in time for club (not sure I was keen as the weather is manky!!)

Erm Ally, never been to B'ham... no idea re the canals... Venice was a marathon I considered for next year though

Well done Elspeth, and good luck OH for next weekend!!

Lanzarote sounds lovely Tricia!

Work tomorrow... erm, not looking forward to the commute I have to say!

24/09/2012 at 20:36

Arrived home late yesterday evening, and just been catching up. Well done elspeth and OH, and welcome back IJ. My next race is the Templeton 10 - first Sunday in November - can enter on Entrycentral if anyone interested. Very wild and windy here today. Pilates this evening.

24/09/2012 at 20:52

Oh yes, our Black Country canals are famous you know, birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and all that, how do you think they used to move all that coal and steel around . Actually my gran used to swim in the canal in the 1930's !!!! Must have had a stomach of iron ! 'Course, no shopping trolleys back then .

Well done on your win Elspeth . Bizarre prize though!! Sensible not doing LN, too much downhill to jar the legs so soon after your other race.

Havent done LN for about 3yrs, might have to do it again one year.

Good luck cycling to work tommorrow UTC . I thought today was meant to be the 'bad day' but apart from the wind it didnt seem that bad .

24/09/2012 at 23:38

TP - hadn't heard of a Glencoe marathon. Canals in the 30's must have had the chance of polio .

If you make it to Inverness by Saturday morning Elspeth come run the parkrun! Hope your return up north was not weather interupted.

A bit wet and windy in Nairn tonight but nothing abnormal. My wife tells me it is still pleasant in Ardnamurchan so who knows where the dodgy weather is located?

25/09/2012 at 06:57

morning... where's BM?

indecisive about cycling to work but tbh looks ok, just seems to be the media going on about things (mostly England related).. Scotland areas are supposedly everywhere except Glasgow! Dark and cold though winter is here!.

Tempo run tonight and spin class I think.

Welcome back Alison.

25/09/2012 at 07:54
A bit of wind (nothing out of ordinary) dry and some blue sky in Orkney. 3 miler you.d scapa this afternoon as on taper.
57.5 : Els considered the 10k too short, fast and furious!
5k s would certainly be a no no

Thanks for encouragement for Nessie
good running wishes to tricia and MrsMac too
25/09/2012 at 16:08

Late post today, no running but went for a little walk and got soaked . Saw some wild pictures on the news of Aberdeen harbour, weird sand-filled sea foam completely knee deep all over the harbour and on cars and houses !

Presumably that means the boat is off , which is a bummer as I'm expecting loads of boxes of work down from Orkney and it probably won't be able to get here for the duration .

Attempted to get a place for next years SDW100 today, it went something like this: 9.30am they tweet 'entry opens at 10am', 10am hunners of folks pile onto the site trying to get one of the hens teeth 225 places, 10.10am their whole server crashes under the traffic , 10.40am I manage to get on the site but find the entry is now locked, 1pm they announce no entry today as server cannot handle it and they will have entry open again same time next week . Surely that is just going to cause the same issue?  

I totally get using social media for advertising but I think some businesses maybe do not fully realise what they are unleashing? Its a bit like somebody putting on FB 'Hey guys party at my hoose' then being surprised when 3000 total strangers turn up and cause a riot in the street !!!

25/09/2012 at 16:41

TP MV Hrossey got in to Aberdeen at 15:30 (but didn't stop at Kirkwall)

Weather nothing out of the usual here

25/09/2012 at 16:50

Thanks OH - my courier might have got through, he usually phones the night before delivery, so guess he might come tommorrow.

25/09/2012 at 17:19

57.5 - I might have done the parkrun for "fun" but we don't get down until late afternoon Sat. Any suggestions for an 8- 10 mile run around Inverness Sunday morning not getting in the way of the marathoners/10k ers? We're staying near Bught Park.

Where's BM indeed?

Mrs Mac - looking forward to seeing you

Pretty dreich here today.

25/09/2012 at 19:28

Thanks UTC.

4 mile run this evening. Quite windy, but not too bad.

25/09/2012 at 19:45

Evening folks

Did you manage to cycle to work UTC? I saw some people really struggling today.

I might chuck in an entry for Templeton 10 Alison. Its a great race.

That sounds crazy TP! Who'd have thought a 100 miler would have entries crashing the server?!! Guess I'll avoid that one then Thinking of this as next years biggie

Ran a wee 5 miler tonight which was actually fun getting buffeted around. Hope this weather packs it in for LN

25/09/2012 at 20:14

Lol Mrs Mac - you are officially nuts - track racing ultras !!! Yeah, I really dont understand why that many people would want to run 100miles !

Joking aside though, really, I don't....I think a lot of it has to do with tweeting / FB and building up the hype on the internet, its like its become the 'next big challenge' when a marathon isnt enough to impress people anymore. I saw a lot of that in the Lake District this summer ....its like, lets get an entry for this hyped up race everyone is talking about, brag about it all year on the internet to impress our mates / work colleagues, not do any training, then pull out at the last minute, or just drag our asses round on no training using our GPS to navigate .

Bloody annoying anyhow.

I'm totally supportive of what Centurion Running have done - they have set up this fantastic set of races where you dont need to have a support crew in order to run. I could never afford some of the big 100milers in the US for instance, so this has been a great opportunity. I just think they need to think a little more about their marketing strategy . I think to start with they thought they would get very little interest, but now via good reports and loads of internet advertising it has gone out of control, when actually they would have built a great rep just off the back of word of mouth in the ultra community without needing to publish their every move on twitter.  

25/09/2012 at 21:13

MrsMac yep managed to and from work no problem.. It wasnt bad at all here! You are mad - track Ultra????

25/09/2012 at 21:56

drops in briefly after long absence ... Tigerspaw - totally agree with your opinion there on the Centurion races, and agree it's such a shame.  James does a fab job and like you, I'll never manage to do one of the US ones so this is a great opportunity to experience the whole 'supported but unsupported' thing.  Hope you manage to get in though. I chatted to several  of the 'lets brag/do no training' brigade who did actually start race, but strangely not finish.

Have not read back as have been away for faaaaaar to long!

Suffice to say todays run was very short and very exhilarating. I was the only person on the coastal path and I had a huge grin on my face as I was loving it. As I said to hubby on the phone tonight - it was typical mountain marathon (especially the OMM) weather conditions and he'd have loved it!!!

Track ultra -

Thought I might put in for the West Highland Way race next year ..., I also have seven points burning a hole ... UTMB???

25/09/2012 at 21:59

MrsMac - either flipped or taking us for ride

I'll never do an ultra but I can see the attractions of running a long way through nice countryside but 6 days on a track ... ??? even 24h on a track ...???

25/09/2012 at 22:14

Thanks Cragchick - I'm thinking I might go down to the South Downs anyway next year whatever happens, for a holiday and some walking / cycling. If I get in the race too, that will be a bonus . Good luck with WHW, probably better chance getting in that than the UTMB lottery, although always worth a go. Strangely I have found an unusual liking for flat races recently , something I never thought I would hear myself say!

25/09/2012 at 22:19

Ha ha, not fussed if I don't get into UTMB, just thinking that it's possibly likely I'll not have the required 7 points again (has changed from 5) so may as well give it a bash, plenty of other stuff out there to keep me occupied. Which is also why I feel strangely bemused by people who seem to get fixated on getting into a particular race.

Is beautiful countryside down there in a rolling, southern counties kind of way, plenty of walking and biking opportunities. Clarendon Way is good too (Salisbury to Winchester) Did a marathon on there a few years back.

25/09/2012 at 22:20

Elspeth - great recovery from the stress fracture

25/09/2012 at 23:41

Like cragchick I had a wild run tonight on the Moray coast. Especially interesting on the beach in a mini sandstorm, would not have been runable without the wind being at my back.

It does seem like 100 milers should work like the WHW race where you have to submit some evidence of your suitability for the challenge.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.