Scottish Runners

29,221 to 29,240 of 33,403 messages
01/10/2012 at 10:26

Well done OH, Mrs Mac, Tricia .

Ah well Tricia now you have done a couple of ultras that last 6m in the marathon is not such a big deal anymore .

Although I could never understand why people made such a big deal of the 20m 'wall' - if I'm gonna have a bad point in a marathon it usually hits about 11 -13m, and is usually cos I havent had enough fuel early on, or mis-timed breakfast. If I get past that and start ticking off the 15, 16, 17, I usually know I can carry on to the finish. These days I 'force' myself to have a gel about 6 -7m whether I'm hungry or not .

01/10/2012 at 12:16

I usually get a problem about 13-17 for some reason on marathons - but like you TP, it's much better if I have something about 6 miles in; in ultras I frequently feel grim for the first 25 miles!!! Just as well I like doing longer ones then, Ironically the SDW was the first one where I actually felt 'good' from the off, think I was just relieved to be at start line and had zero expectations.

01/10/2012 at 13:24

Ditto Cragchick - I find the longer races can be a whole series of feeling grim, you just have to get through it and 'know' it is going to get better, and very often it does . Thames Path 100 I had a terrible stomach between about 17 to 28m, all I can say is thank goodness there are lots of public toilets open on that route ! After downing a whole bottle of cola at the 28m check point I began to feel a lot better and by the time I made the 70mile point was actually running faster than I had for the whole of the race and overtook loads of really shocked looking blokes!

btw - shhhhhhh - a certain race entry opens again tommorrow

01/10/2012 at 13:39

hee hee, I was same on the SDW, I was running at 70 miles whereas at 30 miles my knees hurt, my hip hurt, my foot hurt!!! Good luck tmrw. Fling entry opening date has been announced on Facebook

01/10/2012 at 19:17

Meant to say well done to 57.5 last night for the 5K win

Yes cragchick, saw that its been delayed - sorry, ssshhhhh

Hope the rest of the on-call stayed quiet Alison?

My 'usual' place to suffer in a marathon is mid teens too. Usually beacuse I always set off at PB pace regardless of training You'd think I'd learn

01/10/2012 at 20:51

Yes thanks Mrs Ma, it stayed quiet.

Pilates class this evening. 

01/10/2012 at 21:36

Hill reps for me today, up Nelsons Tower, not done for a while so they hurt a bit.  Was still recovering from the shock of taking a blast from my blue inhaler before I set off and an earwig flying out of the inhaler into my throat - thankfully the gag reflex kicked in but I hadn't quite expected to spit a large wriggling earwig out!!!

01/10/2012 at 22:31

Nobody should be hitting the 'wall' these days now we've moved beyond the "pasta binge then run with no in-race nutrition" plan of the 1980s . I'd hope we are all taking calories onboard mid-race or training ourselves diligently to burn more fat. Now we just have to suffer all the other inevitable ups and downs of running silly distances .

01/10/2012 at 22:34

I've heard some excuses for missing hill reps, but inhaling an earywig is a new one. Well done on the active gag reflex saving the day.

02/10/2012 at 07:26

morning

Cragchick that does sound revolting

run tonight again with some interval session.

Think I probably dont take nutrition on early enough in 26.2, need to get past that 20 mile slump!!!

have a good day everyone!

02/10/2012 at 10:00

Morning all

Cragchick - YUK!! Hideous! I never thought of things crawling into an inhaler, but I suppose they could get in through the gaps at the top  (Reminds self to check inhaler next time ).

57.5 - I was recently talking to a cousin (non-runner) about long distance, and she said along the lines of 'But if you run 100m, surely you would just hit the wall at 20m and not be able to continue'?  Errrrrrrrrrrm, No ! My explanation of, 'actually its a long series of horrific moments wanting to do nothing but sit down, followed by feeling great' didnt seem to impress her much !

Right, I'm off to try to get on a 'certain' website !

02/10/2012 at 10:18

Uh oh, better do some training now I suppose .

02/10/2012 at 10:23

They have sold 100 places in the first 10minutes !!!

02/10/2012 at 13:54

aha TP, just came on here to see if you were successful!!! Am so not surprised, between early entries from people who have helped on checkpoints and all the general hype it was only to be expected I guess. So you'll be knocking out the 100-milers next year then ...

02/10/2012 at 14:22

Lol - staggering more likely . I think now that I have a confirmed place for this, I will concentrate on TP100 and SDW100 being my main races for next year, and anything else I can fit in will be considered as training runs. I have tended to do better early on in the year after a spell of winter training with no racing, so I think I will focus on the first half of 2013 and not worry about entering anything else for the time being. The Fling might be useful if I recover quickly enough from TP .

02/10/2012 at 15:50

Loch Ness Marathon 2012

This was my second marathon, having completed Cape Wrath in May this year. 

My training had been somewhat idiosyncratic, fitting around other races and on-call commitments.  The week before the race, I had a strange sense of having already completed the marathon.  I can't say why, but it was as if it were already "in the bag".

Travel down to Inverness involved a rocky boat journey and meandering train journey accompanied by my wife, Elspeth, who was not racing Loch Ness this year.

We met up with MrsMac for her delightful birthday meal at a restaurant by the river along with MrMac,  MrMac’s sister and her husband (M&J).

Although not known in advance, we ended up staying at same B+B as another couple (G & K) from Orkney doing the marathon. This was probably not entirely a coincidence as the B+B owners are the parents of another Orkney runner. I ended up level pegging quite a bit with “K” on the race.

Good night's sleep, waking just before 6 - breakfast at 6:45. Our hostess was horrified at the sacrilege of all 3 runners taking honey with our porridge!

A short walk down to the line-up of shuttle buses at 7:30.  It was quite a wait till the buses got started and then quite a long slow journey.  The convoy of buses with motorcycle outriders must have been quite a sight.  The race organisers had obviously listened to feedback from previous years.  Some of the buses actually had a toilet on board.  Buses did not wait anyone needing off for toilet breaks, as the relieved ones were picked up by the final sweeper buses in the convoy.

It had been wet overnight but latest forecast was to be sunny with a tail wind.  However, from the bus, there was little sign of any wind on the treetops.

It was probably a good mile’s walk from front of the bus convoy back to the start line.  I positioned myself at the 4h30 + mark (previous time 5 hours 6 minutes at Cape Wrath) - in hindsight, this was probably a mistake as I found myself frustrated having to dance round a lot of slower runners.  The pipe band was a bit of a disappointment: I think I did hear the sound of pipes somewhere in the distance!

The first 6 miles is mostly downhill, which was easy-going, if congested. Pleased that I managed to run all the way at the 5 mile hill.  I was passed by “I”, another Orkney runner, who chatted for a few minutes before disappearing ahead (for her sub 3h50).  I then caught up with  MrMac running with his sister M.

The route then follows an undulating course at the side of  Loch Ness with some lovely views. Although I was not particularly feeling the tailwind, the water on Loch Ness would suggest a F3-4. Running along I found my thoughts drifting to memories of a close friend, who died prematurely from stomach cancer.  It’s good to be alive.

At about 10 miles, I felt the first wave of tiredness.  However, I was still running and making good progress. 

4 mini Jaffa cakes

At around 13.5 miles, my Garmin stopped and I did not realise for a further 1.5 miles.  Although momentarily flummoxed by this, I consoled myself that I was making good time and heading for a significant PB provided I kept running. I then met up with “K” (from breakfast) who commented that, at this pace, we were heading for a 4:20 finish!  Both of us knew that this would be unrealistically optimistic for a finish time but nevertheless had a feelgood factor.

02/10/2012 at 15:51

Snack size Dairy Milk chocolate (still had mini Mars bar and jelly babies in reserve)

Walked the hill just coming up to 19 mile mark but ran again until just short of 22 mile mark where I had another short walk at end of long hill. K and I were yoyoing over this distance but then I left her behind at top of hill (so I thought).

Long downhill now into Inverness, lots of folk walking. I managed to keep running albeit slowed to 11 minute mile pace.  Felt confident now that I was going for a good PB although I had no longer had any accurate idea of timing.

At 23 miles I made the mistake of taking a "lemonade" (normally stick to water), which ended up turning my stomach a little.

Just a point where the road meets the river (25+ mark), MrsMac jumped out into the road waving her arms shouting “Well done Peter!” A great booster.

At the bridge, I was briefly frustrated by 2 runners wanting to run together blocking my way.

Heading back up the river, I didn’t notice that I’d now turned into the headwind although the last 0.2 mile  did feel to be a long way.

Keeping a lookout for Elspeth, I totally missed “K” creeping past me, until she was halfway between me and finishing post with 20 yards to go. Rats!

Still 4 h 26 09 - a 40 minute PB – better than my wildest dreams

Came round the corner to see Elspeth smiling and waving at me. I grabbed my goody bag of beetroot soup (I hate beetroot!), metal and T-shirt.  Finished.

Elspeth was a real brick, fetching my bag, finding a free bench and getting a cup of tea.

Free runners’ food was a disappointment  - soup and a child's portion of chicken curry.

However, a venison steak roll and a "Cheeky Chappie" found a welcome place.

Met up with Mr and MrsMac and J&M again, before the “long-short” walk back to B+B.

02/10/2012 at 17:45

Tricia - big well done with Loch Ness!

Turns out I am a rubbish supporter - maybe unsurprisingly, having had my own little run on Sun morning went down to the finish to try to catch the folk I knew coming in. Plan to be there for 3.30 mark to catch Mrs Mac and then everyone else that I knew. Well I was there from about 3.20 on wards peering intently for Mrs M but just could not spot her. I know she's small but that is ridiculous, saw a friend from home just about 3.54 and waited some more, eventually moved position and just caught Peter crossing the finishing line. Everyone else I missed completely! So next time I will have to make sure I am running instead.

Enjoyed meeting all the Macs again and a nice meal with them on Sat night. Didn't enjoy the boat journey either way, too much wind around over the weekend.

Thanks to 57.5 for the running routes. Thought I would never find my way on the later one so headed down the canal path for about 4.5 miles until I ran out of anywhere to go then headed up the other side which was decidedly muddier and much more to my liking then took the first part of 57's  route over the hill. Beautiful views and wished I had gone that way in the first place but at the 12 mile mark decided to call it a day and turn back making about a 14 mile jaunt. Very pleasant in the sunshine. Will have to explore the rest of it another time.

02/10/2012 at 18:42

Cragchick, I know running is classed as a 'dangerous' sport but choking on an earwig Yuck!!

Alison, just realised that Templeton 10 is the day after Glen Ogle 33

Two 100 milers TP, you are hardcore are they quite far apart?

Great report OH Sub 4.15 next? Sorry about the loony jumping out in front of you

Elspeth, was great to see you again. I'm trying to be good and pace myself with the Birthday fudge but its nearly gone! I LOVE Orkney fudge

My legs are totally smashed still, Loch Ness is murder on the old body

02/10/2012 at 18:51

Well done OH - good report - I like that you could tell the windspeed from the waves on Loch Ness . I will have to learn how to do that .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.