Scottish Runners

29,241 to 29,260 of 33,222 messages
02/10/2012 at 19:26

Meant to ask...has anyone any experience of tinnitus? Specifically the 'pulsing' kind? I've had it on and off for a while now and its currently driving me nuts! Can anything be done?

02/10/2012 at 19:52

Great report OH. Must be strange running without your Garmin - I think I rely too much on mine.

Mrs Mac - sorry you won't be doing the Templeton 10, but I'm sure will meet at a race soon.

Cragchick  -the earwig experience sounds yukky.

Got away early from wotk today, so got out for my run at about 5. Really enjoyed it; sunny, but quite cool, and unusually, almost no wind.

02/10/2012 at 20:56

TP - People in Orkney have a great affinity for the wind and waves.

Elspeth - Glad you found some of my directions useful. That muddy side of the canal is my favourite bit. There are some great trails from there up into the hills but you need a guide with local knowledge. I supported some friends 2 years ago at the LN finish (complete with coolbox of beer for post race 'rehydration'), we waited quite a while for our last runner who came in right on his 5 hour estimate, except we were all cheering and marvelling at an older guy on two blades and missed him completely.

OH - Sounds like the run went as well as could be hoped.

02/10/2012 at 21:17
MrsMac wrote (see)

My legs are totally smashed still, Loch Ness is murder on the old body

Not so much of the old Mrs Mac - there are much older folks than you around here you know!

03/10/2012 at 06:06

Morning

Lots to catch up on I see. Younger sons was 17 yesterday !  Somebody asked me if I'd rewind and go back to being 17 ? Mmm !

Morning Tri

03/10/2012 at 06:07

MrsMac: Hope you're recovering from Loch Ness.

57.5: well done.

03/10/2012 at 07:02

morning BM

hope you're recovering ok MrsMac!

rest night in the end last night (realised I hadnt actually had a rest all last week!)

interval training tonight short run and some yoga.

Happy Birthday to your son BM!! I def wouldnt go back to 17!!

03/10/2012 at 09:57

Happy Birthday BM's son. Ditto on the 17 thing . I'd rather be old !

Did a nice 10m yesterday, but might have a rest day today too, want to have something left in the legs for Sunday .

Mrs Mac - can't help with the tinnitus thing. Yeah, too much downhill at LN, mashes the legs .

03/10/2012 at 19:56

Oh to be 17 again! Nah, I'd go back to 21 maybe but not 17

Was going to run tonight but decided against it. Was kept awake with the 'noise' in my ear Feeling a bit dizzy too, wonder if I've picked up an ear infection? Defo running tomorrow, no excuses.

03/10/2012 at 23:02

17, no way. 21, I don't think so. 29 maybe.

Who said "youth is wasted on the young"?

03/10/2012 at 23:30

MrsMac - worth a look in at ear canal and drum.
If they're normal then there's nothing very effective for symptomatic relief of tinnitus

04/10/2012 at 05:47

Morning

5M Fartlek done. Cold when out,  so wore gloves for 1st time this autumn.

I'm sure they're putting up the Christmas Lights in Renfrew, saw them yesterday when on bus going to work !

Morning Tri

I'm not sure re whether I'd go back to being 17. Got some decent memories from and some close family have passed on since when I was 17. Dunno if I'd like to be 17 nowadays though ?

Edited: 04/10/2012 at 05:49
04/10/2012 at 07:19

morning BM

christmas lights...

MrsMac, I once had an ear infection which resulted in labrynthitis... then chronic fatigue... but I did need antibiotics for the initial infection. Not sure about the tinitus but antibiotics might help with the inflammation if there is any which might help the dizziness etc... not nice though. Take it easy.

Run tonight. Hopefully not too stressful at work.

04/10/2012 at 08:36

Morning all. Tricky week so far for training with nights out and disasters at work and a call with someone who can help with the PR side of my antarctic challenge. So it was unexpected rest day on Monday, tuesday was late night core work and lower body strength training, Wednesday was an early morning spin (5.40am) 12.5 miles, and a post work run of 7.75 with a speed interval session in the middle. No training today as out at the ballet tonight although i might be able to squeeze in some more strength and core work. Tomorrow will have to be an early morning session as it is Mr FFB's birthday and we are out for dinner.

Er, sorry what have I missed: TP 'certain race'???? I musty have missed picking up on something when i read back after my holiday.

I need to work out my race plan for next year very carefully as I need to build it into my antarctic training. I think I need a coach/trainer to help with this and hopefully one that will discount their services or give then for free as in kind sponsorship. My definites are Strathear, Clyde Stride and Aberfeldy. Trying to decide on Fling and or Devil ..... not sure if they would be right for my end goal or not.

04/10/2012 at 09:57

Morning all

BM - Christmas?  Not be long I suppose ......

FFB - I've got an entry for the South Downs Way 100, mid-June . They finally managed to get their servers working and processed 100 entrys in the first 10mins of opening !!! Mad, or what? It has calmed down a bit now and they still have places left, so all that mad twitter-induced rush was a bit silly really .

Would like to do Strathearn mara again but I think it clashes with SDW next year.

Do the Fling FFB .......it will certainly help build up strength and endurance anyway .

04/10/2012 at 11:02

Hi TP, ah yes, the English Ultra's do seem to attract a lot more hype and social media attention.

BTW, the Glen Ogle reserve list has now come into operation and some folks have been given places. However, having seen the size of the reserve list I think there will be a lot disappointed folks.

Yep, I should enter the fling as I know it would be good preparation for strength & endurance.

Interestingly, after doing a bit of thinking over the last couple of months, whilst I am keen to continue to explore my ultra capability, I have decided that I actually do not want to become a hill runner. Happy with trails, happy with a fair amount of climb, but I actually think that something like the full WHW is not for me. Not sure though. I will just have to see how things go.

04/10/2012 at 14:10

Aha - come over to the 'flat' side FFB . Hills are over-rated - I have found a great liking for the flat, canal paths, riverside paths etc.......strangely this feeling came upon me once I had returned from the Lake District .

Undulations - fine. Fecking great mountains that only the elite can run - nah, think I'll pass .

04/10/2012 at 20:20

I think what you call undulations I would call hills TP. I've certainly no desire to run up mountains.

6 mile fartlek this evening. Felt really good. Girls broke up from school today, and we're off to Northumberland tomorrow for a week - looking forward to running on the coastal path.

04/10/2012 at 20:38

Teehee - I yomped up a hill today and then ran off it!  It definitely was a hill and not an undulation - parked at visitor centre in Glenmore and headed up onto Creagan Gorm and Meall a'Bhuachaille. Fab day for it, was worried as I drove away from coast into cloud but it soon cleared and had fab views in all directions. Also now know that I CAN squeeze in a trip further afield inbetween school drop-offs on days I'm not working!!! Think my quads will know about it tmrw though, 'bout 7 miles and 600m of climbing.

I love Northumberland, had a great week there in the summer, camping, but many memories of childhood holidays there.

Christmas is a SWEAR word!!! Waaaay to early - shudders in horror.

Yay - come and join the Fling ... that's unless it gets sold out within hours of being published as open on Fbook. I am hoping to do it, 3rd time - why oh why I ask myself do I wish to torture myself with the tree-roots and rocks of Loch Lomond?

04/10/2012 at 20:39

AlisoN: Northumberland is good, Been down there a few times.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.