Scottish Runners

29,261 to 29,280 of 31,032 messages
21/07/2013 at 19:22

You must both be very proud of your son Elspeth, that's fantastic

57.5, you must've been worried about Moss Thank goodness he was ok

That sounds like a lovely ride UTC

I think there probably are agents TP. A lot of people in Carnoustie did the same when the golf was on.

Ran the Dundee Marathon today in quite hot conditions. Finished in 3.45 so I'm happy with that

21/07/2013 at 21:56

Wow, warm day for a marathon! Well done MrsMac! I had a nice leisurely 9 miles with a good stretch on the beach.

I was certainly worried by my dog deficit, especially 2 weeks into looking after him. My wife 'lost' him this morning too, but just in the little strip of woods near our house where he soon reappeared when I joined the hunt.

This must be one of the warmest evenings I've ever enjoyed in Scotland. No bugs, no breeze, no humidity, just a nice warm temp. Now I'm watching Kraftwerk on the TV from the Latitude Festival. While 4 elderly men playing ultra-retro electronic music with 1980 visuals makes sense to someone my age I'm not sure how it would appear to 'the kids'.

Well done to your son Elspeth and OH! They'll need to hold the games in Shetland one year to introduce the Caribbean nations to real weather.

22/07/2013 at 11:20

Hi all, A quiet rest week and weekend for me and an opportunity to get my orthotics refurbished.

Here is my race report for Clyde Stride

22/07/2013 at 13:49

Good report FFB and some nice photos . Reminded me of the Notts ultra I did last year, dry, no wind, 30deg.....really on the verge of unbearable at times......roll on that minus 40 eh!?

Supposed to be a rest day for me today but kind of tempted to go on the cross trainer later.....hmmmm, bloomin tapering!

Well done MrsMac , great time!

Two weeks until Devil and final instructions through today, they have taken 'full body waterproofs' off the compulsory kit list  and said make sure we have plenty of water with our crews......okay I know its hot just now, but this is Scotland.....it could be throwing it down in two weeks time !

22/07/2013 at 14:11

well done MrsMac on the Dundee marathon. A great time given the weather conditions. Mrs LB and I ran the half marathon with Mrs LB just missing out on a PB. the rather narrow uphill forrest path at the start is getting the blame with an 11 minute opening mile.

seeing as I hadn't ran more than 7 miles since the beginning of June I was quite happy to finish in 2:07. 15 minutes slower than Loch Katrine but happy enough.

Saw some of the marathon runners on the way back to Camperdown park and it just made me think i would never be able to cover that distance. just looks sooooooo exhausting.

Just got to decide on whether to run Glasgow half or wait and just do Glen Clova in November.

22/07/2013 at 14:15

great report FFB! bit of a contrast to what you'll be facing later in the year!

23/07/2013 at 20:14

Back from holiday on Sunday and back at work today. Just been catching up - much more interesting than all the work e-mails that accumulated while I was away! Well done to those who raced in the heat - FFB, UTC, Mrs Mac, longbow and Mrs LB. And tricia - still a long run, even though you dropped out.

We had a week in Dumfries and Galloway then a week in Berlin. I did a guided sightseeing run in Berlin  - it was great. Nice easy running, with plenty of stops at interesting sights. Did a copule of other runs too. Quite hot, but not too bad in the evening, and plenty of shade.

24/07/2013 at 13:01

Afternoon all

Not been able to get on here for a while, site seemed to have gone up sh!t creek without the proverbial ....

anyhooooooo, well done LB and MrsLB at the Half.

Nice holiday running Alison.

Did a mad run yesterday through the floods, lightning and lashing rain....very refreshing .

24/07/2013 at 14:03

Hi All,

Belated well done to Mrs Mac, LB and Mrs LB  and I am sure I have forgotten someone - sorry 

See you at Speyside tricialitt 

Interesting reading about 57.5 going out with his dogs. I have a firend who has 2 crazy dogs and he has to take them out one at a time otherwise it turns to total madness and mayhem.

A friend is looking into lfight options for me to Chile. OMG 

The cheapest and best for connections so far is, 2 days travelling on the following route:

Glasgow - Heathrow - Madrid - Santaigo - Punta Arenes (1 stop/touchdown on last leg)

Also, I potsed a request on FB to friends asking them to send me their motivational messages for the 100km ultra on an A4 page. It can be anything and does not require any artistic expertise (unless you have it). The plan is that I will print them out and take them to Antarctica with me and then the marshalls can hold them out/hand them to me/put them in my drop bags at the aid stations which are every 5 km.

So feel free to do the same. I can pass my email address to anyone who needs it. They can be anything from words, phrases to pictires/photos and can be funny, insulting, sargeant major type orders, inspirational, motivational  - whatever. The theory is that these will act like my supprt crew and will help me with the mental challenge as well as the physical.

24/07/2013 at 17:24

'Move yer Arse'

laminated?

That kind of thing?

I don't know if any of the rest of you are keeping up with the 'website bugs' arguments that are currently going on on here, but you know what? The attitude coming across from the 'powers that be' on here make me want to leave this site......but at the same time, I am glad on this 'Scottish' section we can all chat to each other in a supportive and helpful manner .

24/07/2013 at 19:31

Like it TP, short and to the point

I'll have a think FFB, see if I can come up with something 'helpful'

Glad you had a good holiday Alison, sounded good

Well done longbow & Mrs lb. Agree the congested start in Camperdown 'needs work', still think its a great course though. Shows Dundee at its best

Took a couple of hours flexi this afternoon and ran 15 miles in the sunshine

24/07/2013 at 20:28

I wonder if the reason we all 'chat to each other in a supportive and helpful manner' is because we actually have quite a good chance of meeting in person in our wee country TP. Too many people on forums seem to be unpleasant because they'll never get called on it in the real world.

I'd say most of those complaining might want to get out in the nice weather more .

24/07/2013 at 20:47

True 57.5 - I would say I've probably met about 75% of the regular contributors on our thread, and the chances of meeting everyone else at races in Scotland or knowing people who are friends with other people are very high.

The complete disdain and lack of respect for regular contributors is coming from the people who run the website / or are moderators on here, and that to some extent is harder to accept than just random spam or trolls trying to rise a bait from people. The attitude is quite shocking actually.....'if we don't like the way they do things we can piss off'.....well, maybe some of us will.....

25/07/2013 at 13:24

Lol TP  - I like it and strongly suspect that I will need that very phrase at some point

25/07/2013 at 14:50

'move yer arse' is one of my favourite phrases that i mutter to myself on the tennis court!! usually as i've just watched the ball fly past me   very motivational as well.

good 6.5 miles this morning when it was still hot despite the haar being quite thick.

as long as this thread keeps working and avoids the troubles the rest of the forum appears to be having we'll be okay!!

one more day of work and then we're off on our holidays. week down in center parcs with the outlaws and other relatives. never been before so i have no idea of what to expect. should manage some nice early morning runs though as there will be plenty of people to entertain the kids.

25/07/2013 at 18:29

I think I will be telling myself to move it next Saturday too . I'm still trying to get my head around having a crew on board and I'm not really sure what I will do with them tbh , however I am sure they will be keen to shout rude things at me if I'm going too slow!

Did a slow 7m this morning, managed to avoid the heavy showers and lightning storms this time. Knee annoyingly stiff and twingy again so I will probably need to rest it up next week before the Devil completely kills it .

26/07/2013 at 19:20

I forgot you were doing The Devil TP, lucky thing! Get your crew on standby to get the icecream in at Kinlochleven if its a hot day

Happy holidays longbow

Tapering now, only 16 miles tomorrow and 10 on Sunday

27/07/2013 at 09:28

Thanks for the tip MrsMac - I have bought them midgie nets , so the least they can do is get me an ice cream .

Off out for a run today, happy training everyone.

27/07/2013 at 11:12

good 6.5 miles this morning. hot again though which is great. makes the run much more enjoyable when the sun is shining. we'll just skip over how much harder the hot weather makes the running!!

only 16 miles MrsMac?? is that all

finally took the plunge last night - Mrs LB and I have entered next years Edinburgh Marathon. It will be our very first attempt at the distance and all for the 'bargain' price of £52.95. So I'll be hassling all of you experts for your tips on how to tackle the first marathon. stressed about it already!!

27/07/2013 at 14:33

Well done on taking the marathon plunge longbow!

We had a turnout of 207 for Inverness parkrun today; as it was the 100th run we'd done a lot of publicity, but we didn't expect 3x our usual number! Must have been the nice weather. Or the cake.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.