Scottish Runners

29,301 to 29,320 of 33,407 messages
09/10/2012 at 08:12

Morning all, a lovely frosty clear day again. I love these autumn days. Hopefully get some for this for Glen Ogle.

Hopefully, I am not jinxing this, but it looks like I may have another backer for my antarctic challenge, fingers crossed. They were asking about product placement so hopefully my response was what they were looking for.

Not sure what my training plan is for today. It is my 2nd fast day so maybe a cycle and some weights rather than a run, but if the weather is still this good when i get home it will hard not to go out for a run.

This intermittent fasting is OK. My energy levels and balance are way better and my weight is finally coming down. I can easily sustain a good hours cardio on fast days too. I do 2 fast days and 5 normal eating days. Probably won't do it for a prolonged period. It might be one of these things that I do periodically. Of course the improved energy levels could be more down to the magnesium and vitamin d supplements and the reduction of wheat in my diet.

09/10/2012 at 10:31

FFB, just reading your posts makes me want to go and have a rest! the antarctic challenge just sounds amazing. i hope it all works out for you. are we allowed to ask what the product placement was? string vest?

good 5 and a bit miles this morning but first outing for the hat and gloves. rather chilly but not when compared to antarctic

day 8 of the in-laws visit and everyone is still alive and even talking to each other. but that may be helped by the fact i'm hiding in my office working.

09/10/2012 at 11:02

Morning all

Just back from dentist, lovely walk over there, but now I want to go out and run in it .

FFB - it is hardly like you are over-weight for goodness sake!!  Be careful with that fasting business and increasing training at the same time.

UTC - good luck finding the garmin !

Good luck too Longbow, with the rest of the epic visit !!!

Right, work can wait, I'm going out .

09/10/2012 at 11:41

Just refound my 'lost' garmin - never really lost but always under one of many piles of this families cr*p!!

Am intrigued as to why fasting?  Saw that program a while back about it and it did make for interesting watching, and I can definitely see the logic in making what you do eat be as nutritionally sound as possible (she says as she snaffles another lump of banana loaf out of container!! - well it has bananas and raisins in it!!).  I was getting horendous cramp over last few months, like really really awful and mainly at night, but have found by paying more attention to eating properly it's mysteriously disappeared!

Got that Glen Ogle email last night too, but think I am far from in best shape to run 33 miles, and it's a bit of an epic to get there so think I'm going to bail on that one.

Just done a 'mock' pilates class for one of my willing victims - think it's beginning to come together. Absolutely glorious day so need to get out and run very soon

LB - that really does sound horrendous but glad you are surviving.  I have parents arriving in just over a week, along with hubby having a weeks holiday too so house will go from three members to seven - think that will drive me nuts for sure!!

Happy Scottish Sunshine all

Edited: 09/10/2012 at 11:42
09/10/2012 at 12:28

Longbow - it is more brand/company placement which is fair enough. So it is things like making sure that backers logos appear on as much as possible; website, blog, printed material, maybe on kit, get a mention in any media interviews articles etc.

TP - no not particularly overweight but carrying about half a stone that just was not shifting. As soon as it is gone I will probably stop the fasting because the increased training will keep the weight OK and the fasting may interfere with ability to train.

CC - It was off the back of the Horizon programme that I decided to experiment. Plus Mr FFB was interested as he is quite badly overweight and does not exercise and struggles with 'classic dieting'. Typically though, I am managing the fasting and he cheats. I thought there was enough science available and that the potential long term benefits for your heart, reducing risks of diabetes, and cell repair made it a viable experiment.

09/10/2012 at 14:06

Well good luck with it FFB - classic though Mr FFB cheating  - I couldnt do it, I like my food too much, and would probably keel over if I didnt snack every couple of hours .

Cragchick - good to hear the pilates is coming together. Nice to have some work you can do at home / when you have time . Eeek at 7 people in the house though ! Enjoy the peace while you can .

6.7m done in lovely sunshine, but there is still that chill to the air which I really like at this time of year . I'll take this weather over a crappy wet summer anytime! I would like to know, however, what has happened to my hamstrings?!!! Feel like they have shrunk .......how can one road race do that.....maybe not enough stretching after it and sitting in the car .......

09/10/2012 at 16:25

hmmm - will have to find a 'proper' venue once I've passed exams but that will be for a daytime class, still reckon I can do an evening one in my lounge as it's quite big - that's providing the kids stay in bed where they should be

FFB - oh yes, definitely agree there was the scientific back-up for it, I feel sometimes we do lose touch with our bodies actual food requirements. I was intrigued how I always get absolutely starving when I start ramping up mileage and then it evens out as body adapts to almost 'normal' consumption levels, then in the holidays when I don't do much, I virtually lose my appetite as my body is saying it doesn't need the same level of calories I guess. And I definitely seem to consume less calories these days on more mileage ...

8  lovely miles done in here in that same weather TP. Am with you, LOVE this weather. Hope the hamstrings recover!

7 people in house does = childcare though so for at least one week of the tattie hols I will get out to run so I am not complaining too much!

09/10/2012 at 18:09

Cragchick - interesting what you say about food requirements - guess we only have to look around the average street to see how much lots of people have become totally out of touch with what they actually need to eat, but its gone in totally the opposite direction.

There was an interesting thread on here a while back where someone said their pals (mostly obese) were all surprised by how little food they ate (comparatively) when training for a marathon. Guess loads of people have become 'trained' by the food industry to eat massive massive portions. I'm always surprised when I eat out (not that often it has to be said) the portions are huge, far too much food. I struggle to eat some of these pub type meals when I'm out, and ironically most likely the reason I will be out is because I'm away from home and running a marathon the next day!! Then I look at Mr and Mrs Porker sitting at the opposite table and they are shovelling it in . Sometimes folk are their own worst enemies, but the food industry certainly doesnt help!

I wouldnt consider fasting, because I think it is too extreme, but on the same level I dont over-eat either, I'm all for balance. I think a lot of people (particularly beginners running for weight loss) fall into that trap of, OMG I've started running I need to consume X product and eat loads of carbs, then they wonder why they dont lose any weight.

09/10/2012 at 19:16

Hi there all,not posted anything in adges.popped in and out a good few times hope everyone is well.I was looking for a little bit of advice from anyone who has done the london marathon.I have just got in and am gonna book travel and hotel so any help would be great like best hotel and where and just any general advice would be great.

09/10/2012 at 19:20

There is a guy at work who is a fair bit overweight, but he does quite a bit of cycling and tends to be a bit of an all the gear no idea type who thinks  he is a bit of a contender. But he never stops eating  Today, between 9.30 when he arrived and 4 when I left he had consumed: a pile of pistachios, a large bag of fruit gums/wine gums, a muffin, 3 bags of crisps, 2 shortbread fingers, a full 750ml pot of soup, a filled roll, a muffin....

TP - LOL you are so lean that if you fasted you would disappear LOL. There is no fat reserve to burn while fasting  Fasting is probably an extreme, but I thought I would try it out and see how it affected me. Definitely would not do it long therm though.

09/10/2012 at 19:37

flippin' heck, i though i ate a lot...

09/10/2012 at 19:41

Evening

Longer lie yesterday and couldn't log on this morning.

Cold these last 2-3 days, but cracking sunshine with it.

09/10/2012 at 20:04

Back to work today after a long weekend Got plenty running in though in lovely sunshine

Who is doing Glen Ogle then? Me, FFB, maybe(?) cragchick. Be nice to put faces to names

09/10/2012 at 20:09

Wow FFB - that is a lot of food, and he will probably go home and have a huge dinner and dessert / snacks as well. He probably reckons though as he is cycling it is okay .

I know when I am doing a lot of cycling it makes me absolutely starving, after a long ride I can easily locust the cupboards clean . But, that would be after like a 50mile cycle, not a few miles commute to work.

Without wanting to sound 'fatist' or anything, I see an awful lot of middle aged guys, massive bellys, cycling, (and more and more these days on really really expensive road bikes), when they would probably be better on a mtb given their weight . I think to myself, fair play to them, they have probably been overweight for years and are cycling to get in shape, but then I see a lot of these same men stopping for the cake and chip shop cafe stop on their ride, and I have to think to myself, their belly is their worst enemy!! There is a lot of 'kidology' going on I think .

09/10/2012 at 20:18

Cold out, just walked Geordie.

09/10/2012 at 20:45

LOL TP - that's my husband. Goes out on his roadbike on a Saturday with the 'fatboys' as they call themself - although he is shrinking quite fast at the moment ... they cover 50-70 miles but do stop for a bacon butty half way around!!!

OMG to that food consumption though, made me feel ill thinking about all that. I have a sweet tooth which I indulge to a degree, but equally I don't eat enormous portions. All about balance, which is what I try and get across to my

09/10/2012 at 20:58

I read an interesting nutrition article in a cycling magazine once that said 'Treats are fine, just dont live on treats' . Think that kinda sums up my attitude to it.

Cycling is bad though for making you feel starving, especially cycling in cold weather - I can totally understand your hubby wanting his bacon sarnie Cragchick .

I think I probably eat less now that I mostly run than I did when I was mainly cycling, which is kinda bizarre given that they say running burns more calories . Certainly for people wanting to lose weight I would say running will do it a whole lot faster than cycling, but if someone is very very overweight cycling is probably a better way to start exercising in order to avoid injury etc.

10/10/2012 at 06:03

Morning

Cold and not quite frosty out. Decent running conditions, no wind

Morning Tri.

Still to properly catch up.

10/10/2012 at 06:48

morning BM

another night off last night. felt it was needed, just been feeling exhausted since the weekend but definitely feel better this morning, finally feel rested.

Should manage some training tonight, planning intervals (long) at indoor track.

hopefully that goes to plan

10/10/2012 at 07:56

Morning all. Very frosty here in both Cathcart and Bothwell, but another lovely morning. Got up half an hour early and did some weights. My current programme needs 40/45 mins so had to leave out a couple of sets for my back, but hopefully do them this evening after a run.

Just really enjoyed granola with fresh berries and banana for my breakfast now that I have done my 2 fast days

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.