Scottish Runners

29,461 to 29,480 of 32,841 messages
20/10/2012 at 21:00

Had a fantastic day at Loch Katrine. Weather was lovely and the route was beautiful with all the autumn colours. ffb, this would be a fabulous but challenging marathon route. Go for it

20/10/2012 at 22:46

Mrs Mac, yes it is one of my favourite training routes and I have done marathon distance on it. The short sharp hills at regular intervals really spice it up.

21/10/2012 at 22:06

Talking of challenging races with short sharp hills to spice them up, I ran the Kinord 10k Saturday on what amounted to 1.5k of road and 8.5k of hilly cross-country course. Easily my PW 10 in over 43 mins but a beautiful course and good training for both cross country and the Inverness parkrun as the course gets boggier.

Superb weather for running up this way for the last 2 days so the dog got some serious miles in around Deeside and up on the Moray Coast near Cullen. I got some miles in too and quite a few good photos.

22/10/2012 at 07:44

Sounds like a great weekend's running 57.5

I took a rest day yesterday and we went through to Crail to visit my mum. had a great day and the weather was stunning: warmer, drier and sunnier than it has been all summer.

22/10/2012 at 09:04

morning!!

back from Amsterdam last night, but was knackered hence no post til this morning. Had a lovely weekend and the weather was pretty mild, althoough yesterday it was a little duller and more humid. Nice but strange to cycle a city bike... sooooo heavy. Have to say a lovely change but glad to be back with my road bike... although not so pleased to see the potholes again (Amsterdam has none... hmmmm).

Anyways, the race itself was a bit of a disaster (to me anyway). I knew I was undertrained though but was disappointed as I only managed about 30 secs quicker than Kirki 2 weeks ago which is obviously very hilly and 'Dam is flat. Started off well but the wheels came off around 8 miles and by 9/10 I was feeling shivery and exhausted. Only managed 1:54 in the end but definitely lost early minutes with the crowding. People in the same start pen as us were walking within minutes and others shuffling at ridiculously slowly. The pacers were also well ahead of pace which was annoying as I wanted to stick with the 1:45-ers which was 8min/mile. I started off around 7:35-7:40 and I was alongside them and further down the line around 4 miles I had to let them go!!

I reached 5 miles around 41mins which I was happy with. However I reached 11km (the markers were all in km) at under the hour and felt I was slowing. I had slowed to 8:02 by this point but that was ok and more on target but soon after that I started to feel I couldnt keep it up and by around 16k I had slowed to 8:10 and by the last 5k 8:20. I had started to feel shivery by the last 6k and stopped for a drink of water (which turned out to be a rather unpleasant lemon sports drink!). Never have I ever stopped in any race of any distance (other than the Ultra!) but I was so thirsty it was a necessity. I stopped only for those few seconds though and off I went again, feeling slightly better and pace came back from 8:30 to 8:15. I didnt have my Garmin (although I did find it but forgot to take it with me!) but I had a Nike watch I had borrowed from bf's sister who had to pull out of the race a few weeks ago due to inury.

22/10/2012 at 09:12

Managed the last few km not too badly and the last loop through the park then alongside round and into the Olympic Stadium, around the track and over the finish line!! Stopped my watch at 1:54:?? and was sorely disappointed but at the same time felt pretty ill by this point. It took what seemed like ages to get through the finish and someone handed me a plastic sheet to wrap around myself. Still no drinks. Then a while longer I was given my medal. It seemed ages before I got a drink of water and sports drink but by this stage I felt awful. I was trying to find my way through and around the stadium and eventually saw the flags where I was to meet people. But couldnt get across/round the run route which was cordoned off all the way around. By the time I made my way around I had made it to the loo and felt a bit better but was still feeling sick. As I made my way around the stadium luck would have it I was beside a wheelie bin and I was promptly sick... After I came out of the stadium I immediately saw bf's sister who said they had been looking for me for an hour!!! I got my bags and a warm jumper and after we cycled back to her flat I felt much better. We then had to change and head to the train station and drop the bikes back at the bike shop on the way. So not much time to rest.

22/10/2012 at 09:28

Home fed and watered I was fine, just tired.

I think given I felt good at the start of the race and got a good warm up in I was gutted when I started to feel ill. Im also not sure my new trainers are helping. My shins are really suffering and that has never been an issue for me. Im also not sure why Ive been getting sick on long runs lately. Ive often felt nauseous and knackered after a long run but have never been sick and lately I have been sick 3 times after running 13 miles+. I have a PB this year for a half so Im not so bothered but it would have been nice to get what I felt was a good time on a flat course. Personally I had a great weekend and enjoyed the time in the city. The race was a tad too crowded for me and I dont think I would do it again for that reason (the marathon had started at 9am and half at 1:30pm and I was still overtaking marathon runners which made it busier as well).

However, from now til xmas I feel I need to build my fitness again. I feel I have obviously lost that as since post marathon/triathlon around May I havent had great race times. So I am going to concentrate on building fitness and miles and technical swimming and cycling before building those miles from January in time for the Tri training camp in April. Going to concentrate on my diet more as well.

Hopefully all will go well. Off for a swim this morning before I meet a friend for lunch then club run tonight.

Sounds like everyone's training is going well

22/10/2012 at 09:42

Morning all

Good running by everyone over the weekend.

Well done 57.5 and UTC.

UTC - that sounds like a sound training plan. I think we can under-estimate the 'accumulative effect' of racing a long season, muscle damage, dehydration, tiredness etc, sometimes its good to have a period where you just train consistently and include plenty of rest days, and dont race for a while. Re. Amsterdam - tempted by marathon there but like you say crowds put me off . Love cycling over there though, visited friend in Utrecht years ago and we cycled everywhere . Lol I'm no prude, but I have to say after a day trip to Amsterdam I felt like I needed to wash my eyes out with soap and water !

Lovely weekend here, couldnt believe how good the weather was . 16m run on Saturday, couple of hours out on the bike on Sunday, would have cycled longer but needed to be back for the afternoon. Gonna do a few short miles this week and get ready for Jedburgh.

22/10/2012 at 12:14

Well done in finishing UTC and sorry you had such a miserable time. I always think that it is worse at big events when you are not on form and not feeling well. It always takes so long to filter through the finish etc and find friends and family.

22/10/2012 at 14:19

Well done tri - a tough one for you but a good time. Maybe you're a bit tired and need a  few days off. These big races are pretty stressful, not that I do many big ones.

Sunny day here and afternoon off so out for a little one shortly.

Still swithering about Culloden at the weekend, seems like a long way to go for such a short time. But might be last chance for an away race this year.

22/10/2012 at 18:32

Should have said bf came 44th in 1:18... and he was disappointed. Wish I could be as disappointed as him

Legs a bit tight today so after swim and lunch am giving run a miss. Definite run tomorrow though, after metafit class then climbing at night. Club run Wednesday.

Chilling with a new book tonight as I finished Mark Beaumont's 2nd book (the Americas one) while away!! Excellent read.

22/10/2012 at 21:51

Evening

Kind of slept in today. very foggy out here this morning.

UTC:Well done and same to your bf.

57.5: A well done to you too.

TP: All the bset for Jedburgh.

22/10/2012 at 22:54

well done UTC despite the illness. and congrats to your bf. going that fast is one way to avoid the crowds!

run this morning was hard work at all stages including convincing myself to get out of bed! but you always regret the runs you don't do more than the runs that you do do which was the thought that dragged me out.

supposed to get colder this week which will be fun for those runs near the weekend.

22/10/2012 at 23:22

A cold snap on the way according to the BBC, by Saturday night it could 'feel like' 0 degrees in London. How will they cope with these Arctic temperatures?

-4 here last night but once the fog cleared it was a lovely day here in the Cairngorms with loads of sunshine. Enjoyed a nice 5k off road run down by the river.

23/10/2012 at 07:05

Morning

Not bad when out. Dropped nephew off at Glasgow airport and it was mobbed.

Morning Tri

Back later.

23/10/2012 at 07:55

Morning all, cold snap good for my training  A new contractor started here yesterday from 'dahn souf' and was complaining that it was cold  We all thought it was pretty mild and that the office was very warm. We even had a couple of windows open.

No training yesterday as I had a meeting after work. I should probably have got organised for running home afterwards but didn't. Run tonight and some weights. Will probably go to the park and do speed intervals.

23/10/2012 at 09:36

morning

off out shortly... definitely feeling colder even now  good for your training FFB though yes

true about regretting the runs you dont do LB!

Right, best be off, have a good day everyone.

23/10/2012 at 20:27

Evening all

When is a quote for total cost of work, not a quote for total cost of work?

When you get it from a car servicing dealership ...........

Had to do a good run this afternoon to burn it off.........

23/10/2012 at 21:10

HI TP. Looks like a promising forecast for the weekend. chilly, bright and sunny. I'd settle for that

23/10/2012 at 22:33

back from climbing. good fun.

looking forward to XC this weekend if the weather is to be good!! Although I dont have any objections to mud

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.