Scottish Runners

29,481 to 29,500 of 33,449 messages
24/10/2012 at 05:50

Morning you lot

TC: Your car servicing quote never came from a  dealership with initials A.C. did it ?

Morning Tri: Glad you enjoyed your climbing last night

24/10/2012 at 07:48

Morning all, spin bike, abs and lower body weights last night. I should have run but for the first time since I started the intermittent fasting I felt too hungry to do a run. Definitely running tonight.

24/10/2012 at 08:51

morning BM and FFB

off to the gym just shortly. last day off, back to work tomorrow

bf off for 1st velodrome session tonight... exciting!! I'll see how he gets on before I decide whether to book or not.

24/10/2012 at 09:59

Dude - that weather suits me fine too .

Birkmyre - no, this one is a Peugeot dealership over in Paisley. I think they are all 'at it'.....there are just varying degrees of 'at it' . Told the sales service woman 'Total' to most people means 'Total', not oh this is the total but now we will charge you separately for this and that .

If I carried on my business the way *most* car sales people do I would have been out of business years ago, but these b*ggers get away with it because there is always a fresh supply of customers through the door .

Hopefully will get car back by Friday, but if not have contingency plans in place for getting to Jedburgh.

Today is the last day for entry to Jedburgh (various races) just in case anyone is dithering .

24/10/2012 at 14:57

TO - hope you get the car fixed before weekend!

Havning a very lazy day off but did get 11.5 miles in, the sunshine has gone though and it's drizzly but still warm.

24/10/2012 at 15:40

It has turned into a lovely afternoon. I will going over to Pollok for my run and make the most of being able to run in the parks before the clocks go back and it is dark for my evening runs.

24/10/2012 at 19:04

Last day of my mini-break today No running but did paint my bedroom

Like your idea of a lazy day Elspeth that includes an 11.5 miler

Hope you had a good run ffb

Boo to rubbish car servicing

Always meaning to try a xc race UTC. Mud is good

24/10/2012 at 19:09

TP: Just wondering as we've had terrible service from the A.C dealership in Paisley.

24/10/2012 at 19:53

Lol also to Elspeths idea of 'lazy' !

Birkmyre - this lot are just over the road from AC in Paisley - but probably not as bad . After enquiries it turned out the cost was about normal (ie they are all in on it together with over-charging for really simple car parts), it was just the way it was put to me that I took umbrage at, ie 'it is going to be xxxx total', then later 'no it is actually this total because when we said 'total' before we didnt include the charge for diagnostics'' .

Worse thing of all, possibly, was they were going to charge me £38 for putting 2litres of oil into the car ......honestly, I sh!t you not......I asked them for a breakdown of charges because I couldnt believe how much it was, over £500, and this was what came out!!!! I said it is a bloody Peugeot 307 not a Grand Prix racing car, I can buy oil for a tenner from Morrisons garage and put it in myself . Really, really could not believe the cheek of it.........................

Now, because I have questioned their prices, they are being arsey about when I can get the car back......but screw them, because I have another car I can borrow from a relative.....I will go on 3rd party Insurance for the weekend, and they can cocoa for their fecking money .

24/10/2012 at 20:03

TP: Yeah I know who you mean.  'At least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he was robbing people.'

Elspeth: Yeah a real lazy day, only 11.5miles...

24/10/2012 at 20:07

TP: Why don't you try 'Parkholm Motors' who are down at Walkinshaw Farm at the Erskine side of Glasgow airport .

Easter Walkinshaw Farm/Walkinshaw Rd, Renfrew PA4 9LP

We've use them for donkeys years and the guy is really good and doesn't rip you off.

24/10/2012 at 20:34

not long back from club run... about 10k. hmmm things are not going well at the moment. I seem to be fine at the gym and with all other activities... but as soon as I run,

1-I feel rubbish at the end, almost unwell, cold shivery and sick.

2- this pain I have been getting around my Left back/shoulder which when I run radiates to my clavicle which hurts and almost stops me running.

At the very least the problem ??seems to be muscular around the lower lobe of the lung and when I breathe in its catching my breath. The pain though is around my shoulder and clavicle and bad around my clavicle if I run, as if the vibrations are not helping. Generally things feel pretty tense around my shoulders and across my upper chest and no matter what I do and how much I stretch nothing improves. This has been going on for a couple of weeks and it came on suddenly like a stitch which wouldnt go away, a really bad one where I couldnt get a breath. It gradually settled and for the last few days it had been almost gone - and during the HM it didnt bother me at all. (Although I was still very ill afterwards).

I was thinking of making an appt with Achilles Heel physio and maybe getting a sports massage to try and loosen my neck/back/chest/shoulders.

Any of you Drs or otherwise have any advice/ideas??

Its starting to get me down as Im feeling like Ive lost fitness and its only getting worse...

24/10/2012 at 20:38

Thanks Birkmyre - I will take a note of that for the future . I usually use Cummings Automotive in Shawlands - they are also very good and not cowboys, and I've always had good work, MOT etc, from them. Problem was they were not sure what the problem was this time, and suggested I get the 'diagnostic' from a Peugeot dealership - they said they might be able to do the work, but werent sure about the wiring configuration.

However, because it has turned out to be a control panel issue, I need to get a whole new control box from the manufacturers. This is how they screw you, because in the past, the wee guy down the garage (or my dad ) could have done this electrical job quite easily, but now the car manufacturers make this box a sealed unit, so you have to get the whole thing replaced....it is a rip off basically.

24/10/2012 at 20:52

UTC - sorry, I was whittering bout cars - errrm, I get this too sometimes, like stitch, and sometimes you get paranoid and think it is heart attack , but I dont think it is ......errrrm, lungs, stitch, asthma, get the heart checked 'just in case'....I'm just thinking out loud here.........low blood sugar resulting in shivers, make sure you eat enough before you train.....more rest. more food?

Interesting recent research I found on t'internet into something called 'Interleukin 6' in ultra runners - its basically the same chemical observed in people with chronic fatigue syndrome, except in 'normal' people if you train hard and rest enough, it should dissipate within a few weeks, but in people susceptible to ME etc, it doesnt go away, so you continue to get that 'fluey' feeling for weeks and weeks after a long race. It is all very interesting and I am trying to find out more, but it is all very new stuff coming out.

24/10/2012 at 21:04

TP - sounds extremely annoying

UTC - only thoughts are possibly overtraining/some sort of virus. Not very helpful.

OK lazy apart from the run bit. Definitely lazier than painting a bedroom!

24/10/2012 at 21:19

thanks TP I know I dont do myself any favours tbh. Since the half on Sunday, I have-

*flown home on the same day

*went for a swim Monday morning, although very easy followed by lunch with a friend.

*went for a long cycle yesterday, then climbing at night as well as all the holiday washing and tidying as bf at work.

*gym today for 3hrs doing pretty high intensity stuff, then more washing, shopping and hoovering, then club run and getting sorted for work tomorrow.

I think I generally need a rest maybe???

I had a bout of chronic fatigue a few years ago which was post viral, having never had anything like that before. It was awful. I dont know whether Im now more prone than before?? Interesting research though

Think my BS was low with the Half but not tonight, although it was nothing compared to the feeling i felt after the race. I am feeling cold like tonight mind you, maybe something is working on me??  Not enough food, I dont think that is an issue.. However maybe my nutrition has slipped a little of late. I'll give everything a thought and maybe just rest more. Will have to see how I am for the XC on Saturday, although it is just a 4k loop as before, but we know what kind of 4k loops are involved in XC dont we? MrsMac, its great fun, you should definitely get involved. If you are a club member its free

Early to bed me thinks. Bf is off to a gig, hopefully wont clatter in too late

24/10/2012 at 21:24

thanks Elspeth, yeah I think it might be a virus too... they do tend to linger....

24/10/2012 at 21:39

UTC - it is a possibility, as you have had post-viral chronic fatigue in the past, that you are more susceptible to the effects of this chemical now. I really only became aware of it because they were banging on about it on the Lakeland 50/100, so I decide I would do a little more research into it myself - and subsequently I found a couple of recent research papers that mostly focused on Interleukin-6.

Although it is early days with the research, they were talking about how this chemical is released as a result of extreme muscle damage, like you would get after the constant pounding of an ultra. It has various affects on the body, including general tiredness, that horrid flu-like feeling you can get for a few days after a long race, and sometimes also depression. When I read this, it kinda all made sense - it also tied in with the experiences of an old pal of mine who like you had post-viral ME.

I think it is something that needs a lot more research - from the point of view of my friend when I told her about the research into athletes she was like 'bloody typical, the doctors wouldnt believe me for years, and said it was just depression!!!' -nothing could be further from the truth - this I believe will be her vindication.

Yes, definitely take more rest days UTC, we train hard, we deserve to rest hard too .

24/10/2012 at 22:39

There should be plenty of interesting research stuff on ultra running now it is becoming more mainstream, I still love that stuff even after being out of epidemiology for several years. Hopefully there aren't too many bad long term effects!

I also had a bout of post-viral fatigue about 10 years ago (one of the reasons I like running so much is remembering what it was like when I couldn't do much running) but luckily haven't suffered much by way of post ultra problems. The variation in individual response is what makes that sort of research so tough.

25/10/2012 at 05:52

Moring you lot,

Morning Tri;  I don't know much about these things, but it could simply be you have overdone it, your body needs a rest and time to recover ?

Hope you're feeling better soon anyway.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.